Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
My Mood: Devilish
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine
Default Beginner at 44

Since I started lifting my dad has become pretty interested in it himself and wants to start.

The problem is about two year ago he hurt his back with two herniated discs, things like the deadlift are fine the only problems he has had so far is getting on and off the bench. He has pretty good squat form but whenever he squats he says that his right quad has a pain and it lasts for a few days after, he also has some problems getting to depth because of the pain.

I had him SS but I'm not sure squating 3 times a week is a good idea. He's not strong enough yet to do dips, chinups ect. and I don't think his back would allow powerclean until it becomes a little stronger.

Any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
storm1507
storm1507
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
Since I started lifting my dad has become pretty interested in it himself and wants to start.

The problem is about two year ago he hurt his back with two herniated discs, things like the deadlift are fine the only problems he has had so far is getting on and off the bench. He has pretty good squat form but whenever he squats he says that his right quad has a pain and it lasts for a few days after, he also has some problems getting to depth because of the pain.

I had him SS but I'm not sure squating 3 times a week is a good idea. He's not strong enough yet to do dips, chinups ect. and I don't think his back would allow powerclean until it becomes a little stronger.

Make sure he starts out slow and not going too heavy to try to impress or keep up w/ you.

If I recall correctly....things hurt when you are 44. Warmups and stretching are his friend and keep an eye on his form.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Two words...Hard Gainer

Buy the book Beyond Brawn. It's full of great routines that would be perfect for him. It has many ideas for alternative exercises that he can do. For instance; if he can't squat but he can deadlift, get him a Trap Bar. The Trap Bar is an excellent exercise for somebody that can deadlift but is yet unable to squat. The routines will teach him about linear progression with cycles where he will be trying for PRs every two months instead of daily. It will also have him arranging his lower back recruitment so that he can recover effectively. Us old dudes just don't recover the same as the young bucks.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post

I'm 45 also have 2 bad disks. Among other things. You can always browse my logs for idea's for back work. Just tone it down a lot. lol

The back is nothing to play around with. Trust me. I used to be one of them "Stubborn fight threw it type".

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 09-30-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Squats and Deadlifts cure bad backs

You may not start with squats and deads, but it's certainly worth working to that end. For me, courtesy of my awesome PT, I started lifting milk crates with weight plates thrown in. Then progressed from there.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn

mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
Make sure he starts out slow and not going too heavy to try to impress or keep up w/ you.

If I recall correctly....things hurt when you are 44. Warmups and stretching are his friend and keep an eye on his form.
Trust me we are starting slow, the first week or two are mostly practicing the correct form.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Two words...Hard Gainer

Buy the book Beyond Brawn. It's full of great routines that would be perfect for him. It has many ideas for alternative exercises that he can do. For instance; if he can't squat but he can deadlift, get him a Trap Bar. The Trap Bar is an excellent exercise for somebody that can deadlift but is yet unable to squat. The routines will teach him about linear progression with cycles where he will be trying for PRs every two months instead of daily. It will also have him arranging his lower back recruitment so that he can recover effectively. Us old dudes just don't recover the same as the young bucks.
The book looks pretty good might order that Saturday, I like the trap bar idea but not really in the budget right now.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
I'm 45 also have 2 bad disks. Among other things. You can always browse my logs for idea's for back work. Just tone it down a lot. lol

The back is nothing to play around with. Trust me. I used to be one of them "Stubborn fight threw it type".
My dad's trying to fight threw it with his leg but I made him rest tonight because I could tell he way feeling really bad.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Is his quad hurting after practicing form with light weight or only when he challenges himself?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn

When he is warming up he has a lot of problems getting to depth, but it really doesn't start bothering him a whole lot until his working sets.

Share with Facebook