Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Is it a deep muscle pain (like a bruise), or is it more in the joint. When I was running madcow, I used to get a deep charley horse feeling in the middle of my right quad. Nothing much I could do, but suffer with it for a couple of days post workout. I was in my mid 40's at the time.

If you think it might be a flexibility issue, I'd check out the SquatRx videos on YouTube.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn
Points: 7,254, Level: 56 Points: 7,254, Level: 56 Points: 7,254, Level: 56
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
My Mood: Devilish
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Is it a deep muscle pain (like a bruise), or is it more in the joint. When I was running madcow, I used to get a deep charley horse feeling in the middle of my right quad. Nothing much I could do, but suffer with it for a couple of days post workout. I was in my mid 40's at the time.

If you think it might be a flexibility issue, I'd check out the SquatRx videos on YouTube.
I don't think its a joint injury or anything wrong with the knee. You may be right though with the Charley horse I didn't even think of that.

I had him watch the mark rippetoe squat video and that helped a lot, but I'll have him watch the squat Rx one too.
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #13
big valsalva
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

THere's alot of flexibility and mobility issues addresed in the SquatRx vids. We should maybe sticky a link or something.

The Charley Horse stuff was something I just battled through. It only affected me on the "Friday" workout which included a burnout set at probably 70% of the max set. I just ignored it. I don't know if ice or heat would be most beneficial.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)

Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn

mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Quote:
THere's alot of flexibility and mobility issues addresed in the SquatRx vids. We should maybe sticky a link or something.

The Charley Horse stuff was something I just battled through. It only affected me on the "Friday" workout which included a burnout set at probably 70% of the max set. I just ignored it. I don't know if ice or heat would be most beneficial.
I think you called it with the Charley horse because his leg was feeling "better" today. He said the only problem was laying on the bench, even though I offered a different routine he wanted to push through SS for at least a few weeks.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
big valsalva
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
I think you called it with the Charley horse because his leg was feeling "better" today. He said the only problem was laying on the bench, even though I offered a different routine he wanted to push through SS for at least a few weeks.
Good. I mean good that his leg was feeling better, and also good that he wants to push through SS for a while longer. If sometime down the road he'd like to shift his training, I'd suggest madcow 5x5. He'd still be squatting three times a week, but only progressing once. I'd recommend he stay this current course until he stalls though. Both SS and madcow are linear progression. Can't beat linear progression. SS is three times as fast though. Run it until its exhausted.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #16
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Good. I mean good that his leg was feeling better, and also good that he wants to push through SS for a while longer. If sometime down the road he'd like to shift his training, I'd suggest madcow 5x5. He'd still be squatting three times a week, but only progressing once. I'd recommend he stay this current course until he stalls though. Both SS and madcow are linear progression. Can't beat linear progression. SS is three times as fast though. Run it until its exhausted.
I had him watch the Squat Rx videos and he was able to hit great depth on 13/15 of his squats. Now his back hurts when he does barbell rows, so not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Share with Facebook