Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default push,pull,squat workout questions

The push,pull,squat workout seems to be the best way to go to give the best full body workout .I am going to change to this kind of workout .My current workout routine is a good A/B split but only has me squatting every second session

is ok to use a push exercise that dosent work the chest ?

was thinking about this as template

day 1
squat
bench
rows

day 2
front squat
overhead press
deadlift

day 3
squat
incline bench
power cleans , if I cant do these I will replace with chinups instead

thanks for any feedback

Last edited by abett07; 09-29-2011 at 05:57 AM.
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,367, Level: 97 Points: 26,367, Level: 97 Points: 26,367, Level: 97
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Might be a little more helpful to know more about you. Age? Lifting Experience? etc...

There are multiple views on fullbody work. What is best often is determined by the lifter more than the program. To help, however, we need to know more about the lifter.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

^^^ What he said.

Oh btw, OHP works the chest to an exent. And yes, pressing isn't always about the chest; you'd be selling yourself short not to do a version of OHP.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

I am 22 years old and have been lifting weight for about 5 months.

max over 5 reps
squat 55 kilos
bench 55 kilos
dead 45 kilos

if its relevent height 6ft ,weight 81 kilos
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Height and weight are always relevant. It allows us to get a rough idea of what level of development you're at. Based on your weight, and weight you can move; I'd say you're still a beginner and have plenty of room for improvement. Beginner development requires a beginner's program.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Even as a beginner, my low-back would be crushed by that routine. Especially if I was to go heavy on everything.. That's the reason I like a Christy beginner routine over a Ripptoe beginner routine.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Personally, I think SS is a good approach for a beginner, but I would prefer to see rank beginners run that program 2x a week instead of 3x.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Pull14
Pull14
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Personally, squatting 3x a week ain't to taxing; for what its worth I use the oly squat/front squat. The deadlift is what I'd worry about -- on a program like this you want to keep the dead volume low only go all out every few weeks. A beginner however will be able to get away with heavy-ish deads frequently because the max is always changing.

The exercise selection looks fine. A push can be any big movement that has you push something. As for the deadlifts, I'd throw them on day 3 and put cleans on day 2 OR keep cleans and deadlifts on day 3 and each week just do one (w1 - clean, w2 - dead, w3 - clean, w4 - dead...). Past that it really comes down to sets/reps/weight and how you progress.

I would personally give Starting Strength a run for a few months or until you stall. At 81 kg I believe you have a lot more strength in ya than the max's you listed. If you run SS correctly, your 5RM's for the squat and dead should easily pass your bodyweight.

---

Shadow, just curious as to why 2 days instead of the 3?
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

I don't see any issue with squatting 3x a week. Personally, it always kept me fresh and stretched, but I do take beef with squatting heavy 3x a week; even for a beginner.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn

with starting strength I dont feel confident enough to start adding weight to the bar with the power cleans , plus no isolation exercises at all ? I totaly understand that compound exercises are the way to go but still isolation exercises must have a place in most routines ?

thought I would post my current workout

workout A
squat
bench
rows
curls
abs

workout B
deadlift
overhead press
chins
dips