Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine
Default Cage fighting for kids is slammed by experts as “barbaric”

Cage fighting for kids is slammed by experts as “barbaric”

Cage fighting for kids is slammed by experts as “barbaric” - mirror.co.uk

Quote:
Terrified children are paraded in front of hundreds of screaming adults who pay up to £25 a head to watch them beat hell out of each other.

And, amazingly, it’s all perfectly legal.

The latest shameful contest – slammed by child welfare experts as “barbaric” – was staged at a social club in Preston, Lancs.

Shocking video footage shows kids battling bare-handed and without protective equipment as 450 boozy spectators – mainly men – jeer and wolf-whistle at scantily-clad girls who appear between each of the nine-minute bouts
As a father i can't agree with this, perhaps with protection, like a proper 'amateur' boxing match, or martial arts competition OK? But grown men going to watch children try to hurt each other, there is something wrong IMHO... makes me feel sad

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Aurik
Aurik
aka Gimpy the 8th dwarf
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
My Mood: Paranoid
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Kids have no business in full-contact martial arts, end of story. Adults have the maturity to understand the risks involved and make a conscious informed decision to compete, but no parent should allow a 9 year old kid to participate in something like this.

Edit:

After reading the whole article, I have to update my opinion on this somewhat. Based upon the rules that were conveyed in the article, I see this as very similar to kids' judo. In judo, no strikes are permitted, and joint locks aren't permitted until students reach a certain age. Sooo... I don't agree with them calling it MMA and "cage fighting", but the basic premise of the competition isn't as bad as it sounds.
Valentin Konstantin Platz

Last edited by Aurik; 09-23-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

This is bizarre. Not sure how this can be legal.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
T-Bone
T-Bone
in the groove.
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Inspired
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

from the article:

Quote:
In America cage fights involve children as young as four. Earlier this summer Bunny *Hawkersmith, 55, president of the United Fighters Alliance, pledged to bring the phenomenon to Britain.
I've never heard of this in my neck of the woods. Unless by America, the author doesn't necessarily mean the U.S.

This would have been my worst nightmare when I was that age.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,782, Level: 100 Points: 136,782, Level: 100 Points: 136,782, Level: 100
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
from the article:

I've never heard of this in my neck of the woods. Unless by America, the author doesn't necessarily mean the U.S.
They probably made it up, or got it wrong. The article is from the UK's Daily Mirror. It's not a newspaper noted for unalloyed journalistic integrity.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
It's not a newspaper noted for unalloyed journalistic integrity.
Indeed!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook