Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 21,189, Level: 91 Points: 21,189, Level: 91 Points: 21,189, Level: 91
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Sounds like your set up is correct. If you have a chance take a video of the full set up, and a rep or two. Be sure that as you receive your lift out that it is taken all the way out to the spot you want to bench at. You want to keep from having to work too much on the rotation on the lift out as that will cause you to flatten and lose some lat. There is a fine line between control and speed. You have to find what area will work for you. A far as keeping the lats tight, just make sure the bar is pushed out all the way to where you want it. Get a big breath of air at the top before you descend, and hold it. Next be sure that you are squeezing your shoulder blades together through the lift. If your lats are not sore the day after benching, you are not using them fully in my opinion. Obviously this is all meant to be done for one rep. If you had to do more reps, then you will need to breath ha ha.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #12
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_ottawa View Post
Here's an update. As a warmup on my max effort bench, I chalked the bar and saw that the bar path is not always the same over reps. I'm trying to fix that. One thing that seems to help is to keep my entire body as tight as possible throughout the lift. That means no slacking in the legs, butt, and upper body. Its harder than it sounds, but it seems to work.

I will keep checking my bar path until nothing moves any more. Tweaking my form is a pain in the ass, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run.
Jeez, you and I must be on some psychic wave. I chalked the bar last session too. Just to check my groove.

I'm enjoying this thread, and am getting some good pointers. I will mention as far as setup goes (believe me, I'm no expert), lately I've been bringing my feet back as far as I can just so my heels are still on the floor. It really helps me stay tight and drive the legs and butt. It drives my back into the bench too.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
jp_ottawa
jp_ottawa
will eat a whole turkey
Max Brawn
Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 1 year
Fav Exercise: bench press
My Mood: Inspired
jp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributor

Here are some vids of my setup. Any advice much appreciated!!

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...ng-log-46.html

Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #14
MonsterMike
MonsterMike
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 11
Fav Exercise: Squat
MonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_ottawa View Post
Here are some vids of my setup. Any advice much appreciated!!

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...ng-log-46.html
A few tricks Ive learned:

-When setting up, tuck your chin to your chest....that will put you on your traps higher.

-There is a point where you are setting up, where your setup looks AWESOME, then you comletely flatten out (probably addressed by someone else on the forum already), but, as you said...working your feet back will help. try turning your heels in towards the bench with toes pointed out. That will help 1)keep your feet flat, as you said you compete IPF rules and 2) move them back further to stay tighter (learned this from Niko Huslander and he KNOWS HIS STUFF, watch him on youtube lol)

-If you want to strengthen your lats, I would do more rowing with a barbell or dumbell than and sort of pulldown.....I always feel you can gain more strength for pressing power that way.

-pull the bar our to the bottom of you lats....when you think about how you do a pushup, you utilize ALL of your lats, not just part of them, so being the bar out until it is completely on your lats....if your setup is correct, the weight wont even feel like it is there! if you do this, you wil also have some elbow tuck, meaning, push your elbows to your feet, DO NOT COMPLETELY TUCK, as it will kill you on the bottom, especially during speed work.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any clarification or have any questions!
MonsterMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2011, 03:54 AM   #15
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,882, Level: 100 Points: 36,882, Level: 100 Points: 36,882, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMike View Post
A few tricks Ive learned:

-When setting up, tuck your chin to your chest....that will put you on your traps higher.

-There is a point where you are setting up, where your setup looks AWESOME, then you comletely flatten out (probably addressed by someone else on the forum already), but, as you said...working your feet back will help. try turning your heels in towards the bench with toes pointed out. That will help 1)keep your feet flat, as you said you compete IPF rules and 2) move them back further to stay tighter (learned this from Niko Huslander and he KNOWS HIS STUFF, watch him on youtube lol)

-If you want to strengthen your lats, I would do more rowing with a barbell or dumbell than and sort of pulldown.....I always feel you can gain more strength for pressing power that way.

-pull the bar our to the bottom of you lats....when you think about how you do a pushup, you utilize ALL of your lats, not just part of them, so being the bar out until it is completely on your lats....if your setup is correct, the weight wont even feel like it is there! if you do this, you wil also have some elbow tuck, meaning, push your elbows to your feet, DO NOT COMPLETELY TUCK, as it will kill you on the bottom, especially during speed work.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any clarification or have any questions!
Great post

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook