Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Default Geared Lifting - Things To Know

Hey folks,

I want this thread to be a reference for guys just starting to use Powerlifting gear; suits, shirts, briefs, wraps and anything else.

I have an old Centurion Suit and a Fury Shirt from a brief stint of equipped lifting in 2005 where I made around 260/190/260(kg) as gym lifts. However for the majority of my 12 years of lifting I've lifted and competed unequipped. Heavy weights for well over a decade do take their toll. Basically I'm old and beat up, but I can't exactly stop lifting now can I? So I'm going to slowly introduce equipment and see how I fare. So far knee wraps have proven positive, and I'm waiting on a slingshot, a loose shirt and a loose suit to be delivered.

What I'm looking for from you guys is a list of hints, tips, benefits, warnings and whatever else you can think of for using equipment. This could be to do with training, sizing, competing or anything else you can think of.

Thanks.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am interested in this as well as I am nearly to the point where I will be messing around with a squat suit.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
gaspers04
gaspers04
is "Thickneck McBenchpress"
Max Brawn
Points: 17,216, Level: 83 Points: 17,216, Level: 83 Points: 17,216, Level: 83
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Brooding
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

A training partner is a first.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,509, Level: 93 Points: 22,509, Level: 93 Points: 22,509, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Start working on your forearms, this is what they tell me at my gym. The equipment will allow you to use a much heavier weight, but your forearms will still have to handle the weight.

Do not force anything, if a weight feels awkward coming out of the rack, just rerack it and start over.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Hazzard
Hazzard
is proud to represent Muscle and Brawn. And Pop Tarts.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
My Mood: Sleepy
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

I'm really interested in this as it's something I'm going back and forth on deciding whether to commence starting.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
ehubbard
ehubbard
has no status.
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
My Mood: Grumpy
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Ask yourself why am I using gear first (work around injuries, to compete, overload, etc.) and go from there.

If your goal is to compete multiply, and you have a decent base of strength, don't putz around in single ply gear. Get a pair of multiply briefs, a suit, and a bench shirt and go. But before all that, get yourself around experienced geared lifters. You can go it alone in briefs, but a bench shirt and full gear is a whole other animal.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Any pro's-con's to applying some water to a new Bench Shirt and Squat Suit at the seams, to help wear it in?

Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 21,163, Level: 91 Points: 21,163, Level: 91 Points: 21,163, Level: 91
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Any pro's-con's to applying some water to a new Bench Shirt and Squat Suit at the seams, to help wear it in?
I have never added water to the seems of a squat suit, because I have never had an issue getting to depth. On the other hand, on many occasions I have wet a bench shirt. A poly bench shirt needs to warm up some before it stretches well. After a few sets of working on boards, you can spray some waters on the seems, collar, and or chest plate. This will allow the shirt to stretch some more. Often this makes it easier to touch. Guys who are really good in bench shirts dont normally wet them for two reasons. One it may take some "pop" away from the shirt, and two they can touch weights because of practice.

I rarely wash my equipment (I know its nasty), but I am superstitious. I also worry that washing will loosen the fibers. I am positive that drying it with much heat will loosen them.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 21,163, Level: 91 Points: 21,163, Level: 91 Points: 21,163, Level: 91
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
A training partner is a first.
I agree. If you are single ply, you could squat alone in a power rack, but still not a good idea. Forget benching correctly in a shirt without at least 1 training partner, but you really need 3.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I have never added water to the seems of a squat suit, because I have never had an issue getting to depth. On the other hand, on many occasions I have wet a bench shirt. A poly bench shirt needs to warm up some before it stretches well. After a few sets of working on boards, you can spray some waters on the seems, collar, and or chest plate. This will allow the shirt to stretch some more.
Thanks JByrd I appreciate that answer.

I'm not so great with the Shirt or the Suit, it's my first proper run at committing to equipped lifting so I probably will end up soaking both a little as you described.

A year or so down the line I'll probably invest in tighter stuff anyway so I may not need to soak it then.

Share with Facebook