Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast
Default 65 Toss Power Trap

65 Toss Power Trap

I can't think of a better title for my new log, and for that I apologize. Neither can I think of a worse title, and for that I am grateful. I actually had a grandiose title a few days ago. Something like, "big val's quest to kill giants and slay dragons on his way to the top of the mountain of powerlifting imortality." This forum is full of enough of that. And quite frankly, I don't think I can, nor do I want to, live up to the kinds of expectations a title like that would conjure up. I could also have gone with "Poor wittle me, who has overcome heartache and disease. Look what I can do now." Nah.

So, "65 Toss Power Trap" is what it shall be.

I don't know why, but I've been mulling over 65 Toss Power Trap for a couple of months now. For those of you who don't know, 65 Toss Power Trap is a football play run by the Kansas City Chiefs in their victory over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IV, on January 11, 1970. I was 6 years old at the time. It was the first and last time I cried over a football game.

65 Toss Power Trap looks like this:

[IMG]65 Toss Power Trap.jpg[/IMG]

Now that I've had some more time to chew on things though, 65 Toss Power Trap, and Super Bowl IV in general offers some commentary on what this phase of my lifting is all about. In Super Bowl IV, Kansas City coach, Hank Stram, had his team exquisitely prepared. The Chiefs executed their gameplan flawlessly. Within the construct of the exquisite gameplan, however, Stram noticed some unexpected tendencies in the Vikings defense, and was able to tweak his plan to take advantage. One of those "tweaks" was a play called, "65 Toss Power Trap."

So it goes.

The gameplan is Wendler 5-3-1. Why? I've run it before. It has worked. I am familiar with it. I'm coming back from a layoff. I'm gonna roll with what I know. A "tweak" right off the bat, is the incorporation of singles. The objective being getting myself meet ready sometime in the uncertain future. A further "tweak" which I may opt to employ sometime down the road, is to lift twice a week, and combine a couple of lifts. We'll see how it goes though. I fully expect this to methodically morph into something different. And as long as progress is being made, I'm OK with that.

I started this afternoon. I'll post up tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Toss Power Trap.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	4441  

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,571, Level: 90 Points: 20,571, Level: 90 Points: 20,571, Level: 90
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

double tight, split backs. I love the veer out of this formation. In today's football terms, this play would be the influance trap. Used a ton in the west coast offense.

O yeah, good luck with the 531!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Neither can I think of a worse title, and for that I am grateful.
You have no idea how much your subtle humor cracks me up.

Quote:
And as long as progress is being made, I'm OK with that.
Progress shall be made.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
double tight, split backs. I love the veer out of this formation. In today's football terms, this play would be the influance trap. Used a ton in the west coast offense.

O yeah, good luck with the 531!
Thanks, J_Byrd.

In Super Bowl IV, 65 Toss Power Trap resulted in a Mike Garrett touchdown, which proved to be the final nail in the coffin. Super Bowl IV, and especially the "65 Toss Power Trap" sequence remains to this day one of the most popular segments ever aired by NFL Films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You have no idea how much your subtle humor cracks me up.
Thank you, BTB. You have no idea how much I've missed having an outlet. I need to stay on the board if for no other reason than just to crack wise once in a while.

Quote:
Progress shall be made.
Only if I didn't set the bar too high.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)

Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
big valsalva
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Until further notice my workouts will be logged under this format.

Day, Date

Cycle #. Wave (Week) #. Workout #

In case of multiple sets across I will use Weight x Reps x Sets. Multiple single attempts will be listed seperately.

Tested 1 Rep maxes going in are:
BP 185
Squat 305
OHP 120
DL 380

Sunday, 4/29/12

Workout 1.1.1

Perfect example of needing to be flexible today. My brother stopped by with his one year old for a visit right at my normal Sunday workout time. No big deal. It had been a while since I'd seen him or the niece. I did have plans with my family later in the afternoon though, so I only had time to squat.

Squat
45x5
110x5
135x5
165x5
180x3
205x3
235x3
260x1
280x1
280x1

That was a lot of work at the beginning. A lot of reps being burned warming up. By my 235 set, I was wondering if I would make it. The singles went up just fine though. I think this is going to work out great.

I'm wondering. What's a good amount of time to rest between singles? I gave it about a minute and a half between 260 and 280. Some guy was talking to me between my 280 sets, so that might have gotten stretched to 2 minutes or so. Just wondering.

Well, as I said, I had plans with the family, so I cut my workout off after that. I normally may have done a couple widow maker set of leg presses and some prone leg curls. I'll pop those in next time. Sunday afternoon was all about ice skating. Take that, glutes. Take that, abductors. Take that, adductors. Take that, erector spinae.

Benching on Tuesday. Simillar format. 3 or 4 light warmup sets. 3 sets of moderate triples. Singles.

Last edited by big valsalva; 05-01-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Val, you are one of a kind. Don't change a thing!

My .02, take some time between singles, 3-5 min or so. If they are really hard core lifts like the ones that hurt in your teeth type singles, maybe 7 min.

Just saying max efforts should take some time to recover from. If not, they weren't max efforts.

We're alike, you and I. Just push it when you can and don't back off unless you absolutely have to. It is a journey.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
'm wondering. What's a good amount of time to rest between singles? I gave it about a minute and a half between 260 and 280. Some guy was talking to me between my 280 sets, so that might have gotten stretched to 2 minutes or so. Just wondering.
I rest up to 5 minutes. I wouldn't go less than 2 minutes. Anytime after that point, once you feel ready I would put the hammer down.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
big valsalva
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Val, you are one of a kind. Don't change a thing!

My .02, take some time between singles, 3-5 min or so. If they are really hard core lifts like the ones that hurt in your teeth type singles, maybe 7 min.

Just saying max efforts should take some time to recover from. If not, they weren't max efforts.

We're alike, you and I. Just push it when you can and don't back off unless you absolutely have to. It is a journey.
Thank you, MikeM. I'll take all that under advisement. You're right. The sensible approach is best, especially at our age.

Quote:
I rest up to 5 minutes. I wouldn't go less than 2 minutes. Anytime after that point, once you feel ready I would put the hammer down.
So the concensus between you and MikeM might be to rest long enough to make a Number 1, but not long enough for a Number 2? Dang.

No, seriously though, I remember BBG one time telling me to try to work up to 5 singles resting only a minute between attempts. I think he's loco. Turns out he's superhuman. A couple minutes seems fair, especially now since I'm not in PR territory yet. I'm going through a lot of volume to get up to my singles too. Rest seems important.

Tuesday, 5/1/12

Workout 1.1.2

BP
45x5
65x5
80x5
100x5
115x3
130x3
150x3
155x1
170x1
170x1
170x1

Superset
Single Handed DBBP
40x12x3
Pendlay Rows
150x8x3

Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #9
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

a late sub in!

i am also a fan of the 5/3/1 , tho not running it now...

in relation to rest times between singles , i usually take 90seconds , the main driver behind this is that i am tight on time for my workouts , if i had more time i think i would indulge myself to 2.5 minutes!

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,571, Level: 90 Points: 20,571, Level: 90 Points: 20,571, Level: 90
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I typically take 5 minutes or more between sets. I also have other people in the rotation, and have to get wraps and things on. I think anywhere from 3-5 minutes when not a 100% effort should be fine. If you are looking at new PR range, I would give myself as much time as needed to feel ready.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook