Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
UncleSlam
UncleSlam
is ANGRY in the STAN
Brawn
Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Heavy as possible
Fav Supp: Raw Beef
My Mood: Busy
UncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality posts
Default Incorporating Powerlifting/Olympic/Strongman

I like all 3 sports so Im trying to figure out a routine. One that was suggested was; Monday: clean-jerk, snatch, push press. Tuesday: cleans, back squat, deadlifts, shrugs. Wednesday: Sledpulls, sled drags, tire flips, farmers walk, grip work. Friday: flat bench, db bench, tri pulldowns/extensions, hammer curls. Saturday: clean-press, deadlifts, squats, farmers walk, tireflips.

Im open to any suggestions regarding this.
UncleSlam is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about your lifting background and where you are at right now with your lifts so we can help piece together a solid approach.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
UncleSlam
UncleSlam
is ANGRY in the STAN
Brawn

UncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality posts

Ive got about 4 years of serious lifting experience. Most of the routines I followed were bodybuilding workouts. Im in the army and during my last deployment I tried my hand at powerlifting. I made alot of gains and at the end started benching 345lbs raw, squating 655lbs, deadlifting 545lbs and could clean-press 245lbs. Unfortunately I lost over 38lbs at a school and lost alot of strength.

Im close to deploying again also but Im gonna mail some of my equipment downrange. Im also planning on buying a log to workout with.

But anyway like I said I like all 3 sports and want to do them. Im a newb to strongman and olympic weightlifting, I also will admit Im a novice to powerlifting. Also my squad does alot of crossfit/sealfit, running and rucking. I have no control over that.

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
UncleSlam
UncleSlam
is ANGRY in the STAN
Brawn

Right now my strength is at; flat bench 315lbs (weak point is chest), deadlift 425lbs, squat 405, clean-press 225lbs. Not impressive I know but Im regaining it back kinda fast sorta. I weigh 223lbs right now. I did weigh 255lbs but like I said I lost it at a school and doing all the cardio we do doesnt help.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Welcome to MAB. You have a very solid foundation there. I too started with bodybuilding style split training, and have moved on to Strongman training.

The first piece of advice I can give you is to drop the small joint isolation and machine work in favour of heavier exercises that work the same muscles.

For instance, instead of triceps extensions I'd recommend dips. And if you do any wrist curls/calf raises etc, drop them too; they don't assist in building functional strength.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
UncleSlam
UncleSlam
is ANGRY in the STAN
Brawn

Abaddon should stick with like dumbbells for tris? Now as for dips should I do weighted dips/seated dips? Next question will gripmasters work for increasing my grip strength? Ive dropped using wraps for heavy lifts.

The diet Im currently using is this;
0500 whey isolate, twinlabs amino fuel (I cook my meals for the day at this time)
0730ish whey isolate, maxy waize, twinlabs amino fuel (we are done with pt at this time)
0800ish egg whites, nuts, oatmeal, red grapes
1000ish (duty day dependant) salmon, green beans, blackberries
1100ish casein, amino fuel, creatine (gym time)
1200ish whey isolate, amino fuel, creatine, maxy waize, d-aspartic acid
1400ish chicken, greenbeans, pineapples
1600ish tuna steak, broccoli, strawberries
1800ish whey isolate, maxywaize, fruitsmoothie
2000ish t-bone steak, broccoli, nectarines, plums
2200ish green grapes, casein, d-aspartic acid, creatine

Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSlam View Post
Abaddon should stick with like dumbbells for tris? Now as for dips should I do weighted dips/seated dips? Next question will gripmasters work for increasing my grip strength? Ive dropped using wraps for heavy lifts.
1. Honestly, if you're doing enough heavy compounds and dips, you won't need to target the triceps specifically. I am too fat to do dips just yet, which is why I'm still using triceps pushdown and french presses... plus I don't have a dip station.
2. Dips - the heavier the better. If you can handle weighted dips, go for it!
3. I've been advised to only use any kind of grip assistance once you're grip has failed. Remember: you can't use straps in the competition. Developing grip strength is very important, so static holds (as recommended to me by BTB) are a good idea.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Don't kid yourself Sam, you have very solid lifting numbers.

Oly lifting is all about working on form, so I'd use them as part of your warm-ups. They are great for priming the CNS for the big power moves. Keep the weight light to moderate and really nail the form.

I see a lot of the strongman competitors using a three day routine that focusses on strength. Mostly I see Westside, 5/3/1, and Push/Pull/Lower split routines. Then they use a fourth day to practice events.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Your lifts look very strong.

Looking at your squat numbers I do have some concerns that your depth is high. Normally deadlift is larger than squat. A near 700 raw deep squat is very rare. One thing I would recommend is posting a video of your squats so we can make sure your form is good. With that kind of weight you want to have as good of form as possible.

My suggestion for a workout is to use the following style routine:

Pull, Squat, Press. Train 3 days per week and use a pulling movement, a squat and a pressing movement. Add to this 2 accessory lifts each day.

Pull Movements. Deadlifts, power cleans, snatch, clean and jerk, high pulls...stuff like that. Deadlift variations or Olympic explosive pull variations.

Squat Movement. Squats, front squats, overhead squats, goblet squats, zercher squats, etc.

Press Movement. Bench press, overhead press and variations.

Accessory Movements. Farmer's walks, tire flips, shrugs, barbell or dumbbell rows, dips, pullups, chin ups, heavy ab work, sled work, etc.

Don't overkill a volume of sets for each movement.

An example workout could be:

Monday
Power Cleans
Squats
Bench Press
Farmer's walk
Pullups/Chinups

Wednesday
Deadlift
Goblet, overhead or front squats
Overhead Press or Push Press
Tire Flips
Dips

Friday
Snatch
Squats
Bench Press (Alternate every work with bench or overhead/push press)
Sled Work
Barbell or dumbbell rows

This is just a sample. You could alternate exercises every other week. If you do perform something like this start with moderate weight and build slowly so you can build some conditioning.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-28-2011 at 02:38 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Solid numbers. Good advice so far.

You're strong enough to come up with specifics yourself, i'd recommend you do full body sessions where you do Oly lifts first, followed by Powerlifts and then SM lifts as finishers.

The template BtB has above is pretty what i'd recommend too.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook