Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,103, Level: 100 Points: 34,103, Level: 100 Points: 34,103, Level: 100
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Default 5/3/1 Fullbody template by Jim Wendler

Loving the simplicity of this program.

Quote:
5/3/1 Full Body Training: Squat, Press, Pull
by Jim Wendler - 08/02/2011
A new take on and old favorite.

I’ve experimented and written up thousands of programs and templates – this being one of them. I am in love with programming and trying to figure out how to make things simpler. I always read people’s articles/ books on training and try to figure out how to break it down into something even easier. Not to bastardize their program but rather to see the bigger picture – it’s like reading a good book/article; the author always hide a few good ideas amongst the words.

Here is a simple 3 day/week training program that allows you to train the entire body every workout. There is no fluff, nothing masturbatory and nothing fancy. This started as a way to get my shoulder flexibility back to normal by getting under the bar more often – even if it’s for lighter squats. From there, it morphed into this.

If you are currently doing the 5/3/1 program, you can EASILY start training like this the next week. Nothing has to change and it’s an easy transition.

This is obviously inspired by some of Bill Starr’s (and thus Mark Rippetoe) training; I give them thanks for the inspiration. As you can see, you have a press, squat and a pull each day. But each day has a “heavy” emphasis. And you always squat first. Because squatting is better than anything else.

Monday

• Squat – 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload percentages)

• Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets and reps

• DB Bench – 3 sets of 8-20 reps

Wednesday

• Squat – 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload percentages)

• Bench Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps

• DB Row – 3 sets or do Kroc Rows

Friday

• Squat – 5/3/1 sets and reps

• Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps (or do another pressing assistance exercise in its place)

• Chins or T-Bar Rows – 3-5 sets of whatever reps you want, usually 5-30 reps.

Notes:

• Start with sets of 5 on the “light” squat days. You can work your way up to sets of 10 but you don’t have to.

• You can structure the training however you see fit but this template is probably the best I’ve trained with.

• I’ve been doing this since type of split since my accident – my training log hasn’t been telling the whole truth as I didn’t want to answer questions about the training until I knew the answer.

• This works well and is fun. I take some long breaks between the exercises because I use the weight room to get stronger not to “tone”.

• I don’t compromise on my training or on my workouts – if you want to change something, do so and see if it works. I can’t endorse anything I don’t do personally.

• Eat. Sleep. Mate. Defend.

-Jim Wendler
T NATION | Training Lab LiVESPILL

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Oh crap, why did you post that? Now I totally want to do that!!! Something to look forward to in the future I guess...

On a side note, in his 5/3/1 book he had a twice a week routine that looked absolutely brilliant. I was kind of bummed-out when added the note that it was NOT the best way to use the program. I always wanted to prove him wrong but never got around to trying it out for myself.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Aurik
Aurik
aka Gimpy the 8th dwarf
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
My Mood: Paranoid
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

You know, I've been thinking of going back to 5/3/1, but I'm also tempted by the thought of squatting multiple days/week. I may just consider doing this for a few months and seeing how I react to it.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,160, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,160, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,160, Level: 100
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Oh crap, why did you post that? Now I totally want to do that!!! Something to look forward to in the future I guess...

On a side note, in his 5/3/1 book he had a twice a week routine that looked absolutely brilliant. I was kind of bummed-out when added the note that it was NOT the best way to use the program. I always wanted to prove him wrong but never got around to trying it out for myself.
We have the same blood in us.

I like to do things that aren't supposed to be done. Like training fullbody 5 days a week, or not doing direct bicep work

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Oh yeah, I'm definitly going to try this out when I next change routines.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
CLEEPER
CLEEPER
says like NIke "Just do it"
Max Brawn
Points: 5,980, Level: 50 Points: 5,980, Level: 50 Points: 5,980, Level: 50
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: Classic
Fav Exercise: Behind the neck press
Fav Supp: Fusion 7 Protien
My Mood: Amused
CLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beast

I have seen the 5-3-1 talked about but dont quite understand what that means. Like he states to do for dead lifts, what does he mean by 5-3-1? thanks and sorry for a newbie question

Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,103, Level: 100 Points: 34,103, Level: 100 Points: 34,103, Level: 100
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Im thinking about doing this myself soon, but adding a Oly lift 5x3 or 8x2 at the start of every workout.

That would be great fun.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEEPER View Post
I have seen the 5-3-1 talked about but dont quite understand what that means.
In breif; 5/3/1 is a periodized program written by Jim Wendler. You use the 5/3/1 programming on the squat, deadlift, overhead press, and bench press. It has a day of doing 5+ reps, a day of doing 3+ reps, a day of doing 1+ reps, and a day of lowered intensity for a little break. Best to read the 5/3/1 manual for sale on the Elite site to get the full picture.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
CLEEPER
CLEEPER
says like NIke "Just do it"
Max Brawn
Points: 5,980, Level: 50 Points: 5,980, Level: 50 Points: 5,980, Level: 50
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: Classic
Fav Exercise: Behind the neck press
Fav Supp: Fusion 7 Protien
My Mood: Amused
CLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
In breif; 5/3/1 is a periodized program written by Jim Wendler. You use the 5/3/1 programming on the squat, deadlift, overhead press, and bench press. It has a day of doing 5+ reps, a day of doing 3+ reps, a day of doing 1+ reps, and a day of lowered intensity for a little break. Best to read the 5/3/1 manual for sale on the Elite site to get the full picture.
thanks.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,160, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,160, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,160, Level: 100
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
* Wave 1. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5
* Wave 2. Warmup, 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3
* Wave 3. Warmup, 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x 1
* Wave 4. (deload) – 60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5
Last set on wave 1-3 is all out, I believe.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook