Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,088, Level: 100 Points: 34,088, Level: 100 Points: 34,088, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Default Reactive Training System and RPE

This looks interesting.

Quote:
Let’s start with why you should use an RPE scale as opposed to a percentage program. Even though percentage programs are easy to use, they are very limited in how accurate they can be. There are many things that throw off your percentages. The longer you go in a training cycle, the less accurate they become, due to your own individual strength adaptation. Each athlete is different, because of differences in training history, fast-to-slow-twitch ratio, whether you’ve been sick or not, your “bad” days and “good” days, and general sleep patterns. Basically, life happens and you won’t always be 100% when you come in to train.
Excerpt from Chapter 2 of the RTS Manual

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,088, Level: 100 Points: 34,088, Level: 100 Points: 34,088, Level: 100

big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

more
Quote:
An RPE overcomes this stuff by allowing you to regulate training based on how hard a weight feels (which is all a percentage tries to do anyway). By using an RPE, you can regulate training more effectively, and do so in a way that would automatically take into account all of the individual differences mentioned above.

Now, if you’re curious as to what RPEs are, here is the scale that we use:

10- Maximal. No reps left in the tank.

9- Last rep is tough, but still 1 rep left in the tank.

8- Weight is too heavy to maintain fast bar speed, but is not a struggle. 2-4 reps left.

7- Weight moves quickly when maximal force is applied to the weight. “Speed weight”

6- Light speed work. Moves quickly with moderate force.

5- Most warm-up weights

4- Recovery. Usually 20+ rep sets. Not hard, but intended to flush the muscle.

RPEs below 4 are not important.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,540,515, Level: 100 Points: 1,540,515, Level: 100 Points: 1,540,515, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've been reading a lot of his articles lately. The only concept I don't quite understand yet, probably because I don't have the book, is fatigue percents.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn

I find it quite interesting, being on a % based program atm and its beating the living crap out of me. You know any good resources except from buying the book?

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,540,515, Level: 100 Points: 1,540,515, Level: 100 Points: 1,540,515, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
You know any good resources except from buying the book?
No. Not yet. I'm not even sure there's a digital version available.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I've seen some guys use the RPE scale in their journals. I think it's a good idea, but I'd end up calling everything between an 8 and a 10. More likely a 9 or a 10 most of the time.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I've seen some guys use the RPE scale in their journals. I think it's a good idea, but I'd end up calling everything between an 8 and a 10. More likely a 9 or a 10 most of the time.
I'm probably right there with you. I've been pushing most sets 1-2 reps shy of failure for so long that the feel of every set is nearly the same.

Share with Facebook