Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #461
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,641, Level: 75 Points: 13,641, Level: 75 Points: 13,641, Level: 75
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post
Can you guys give me some advice my deadlift form.
I dont know anyone who deadlifts so I have been getting info from you tube and just going by what feels right.

230 x 5 @ 160

thanks.

When you set up, Your arms are hanging straight down, but then when you bring the bar back towards your legs it puts you out of position. Your head and shoulders are out ahead of the bar which is not an awesome position from which to pull.

Instead of rolling around the bar, leave it where it is and experiment with where your feet are under the bar. I always set up so I can just see the bottom of the laces of my chucks on the other side of the bar. After some experimenting you should have a good idea of where your feet should be. Then you can just take a deep breath, squat down, grab the bar and go. Make sure that you can push through your heals right from the start of the lift. If any of your weight ever shifts to your toes, you're out of position. It'll happen sometimes, but if it happens every time you know you've got a form issue.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #462
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,896, Level: 39 Points: 3,896, Level: 39 Points: 3,896, Level: 39
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
When you set up, Your arms are hanging straight down, but then when you bring the bar back towards your legs it puts you out of position. Your head and shoulders are out ahead of the bar which is not an awesome position from which to pull.

Instead of rolling around the bar, leave it where it is and experiment with where your feet are under the bar. I always set up so I can just see the bottom of the laces of my chucks on the other side of the bar. After some experimenting you should have a good idea of where your feet should be. Then you can just take a deep breath, squat down, grab the bar and go. Make sure that you can push through your heals right from the start of the lift. If any of your weight ever shifts to your toes, you're out of position. It'll happen sometimes, but if it happens every time you know you've got a form issue.
Thanks man, I will make these changes & record on Thursday/Friday when Im dead lifting again, and get you to take a look then if you don't mind.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #463
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,456, Level: 47 Points: 5,456, Level: 47 Points: 5,456, Level: 47
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

Quote:
Can you guys give me some advice my deadlift form.
I dont know anyone who deadlifts so I have been getting info from you tube and just going by what feels right.

230 x 5 @ 160

thanks.

I know that everyone has different levers and cues that works for them but here are a few I would suggest.

1.) Your first rep (which I think you may do this on every first rep) you start with your hips seemingly too far down for you. If you watch, you start the lift and your hips shoot up first then at the "sweet spot" you start to pick up the weight. The other reps you don't do this. I don't know if that's your optimal spot but it might seem it.

2.) I'm not sold on the shoulders behind or in front of the bar being an absolute cue for success. I do think you are not setting up optimally. If you feel that you're leaning forward and fighting to keep the bar near you the whole time, you might need to adjust your positioning, either grip, how far your feet are apart, and where you start the bar.

3.) Doing the bar roll is an advanced technique and I think you may do better if you practice setting up different distances to the bar. Stay standing up, set up your feet, take your breath and then grab the bar and pull. If I set up too far away, you can see the bar swing back and I feel like I'm fighting to stand up.

4.) "Stand up" not "pick up".. Just stand up with the bar in your hand. There will be a point where it just feels natural to deadlift.

5.) When starting your lift, even if you don't pick up the bar yet, I want you to try to start the lift with your head and shoulders. When you lift it looks like you may be losing a lot of leverage with your torso bent more than your legs. The closer you can get the bar to the center of balance, the better.

Like I said your form is great and small changes will help. Everyone deadlifts differently, but I think these might help. Just practice and try new things and record it.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #464
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn

syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Exellent Cutty, thanks - I will try out your suggestions also, and take note

Cheers

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #465
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn

Solider, Cutty

I tried out your suggestions, felt a bit stronger - going to play around with form a bit next session and take more notes.
was too dark to record last night, but I'm aiming to get another video soon for you guys to critique my form

Thanks to both of you for the advice.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #466
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,641, Level: 75 Points: 13,641, Level: 75 Points: 13,641, Level: 75
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Solider, Cutty

I tried out your suggestions, felt a bit stronger - going to play around with form a bit next session and take more notes.
was too dark to record last night, but I'm aiming to get another video soon for you guys to critique my form

Thanks to both of you for the advice.
Glad to hear it feels good for you.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #467
ScottH
ScottH
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 298, Level: 5 Points: 298, Level: 5 Points: 298, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
ScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality posts

Hey syn, your deadlift looks pretty good. How tall are you? It looks like you could start your pull with a slightly lower hip position. Also, it looks like you're in a home gym so can you loose the trainers? Barefoot or something like Chuck Taylor's or Supergas would lower you compared to the bar and give you a more solid foot position to pull from.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #468
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
Hey syn, your deadlift looks pretty good. How tall are you? It looks like you could start your pull with a slightly lower hip position. Also, it looks like you're in a home gym so can you loose the trainers? Barefoot or something like Chuck Taylor's or Supergas would lower you compared to the bar and give you a more solid foot position to pull from.

ScottH, Thanks for your input

Im 5.7

I can definitely go Barefoot , wont be a problem in spring/summer.
I will get some chuck Taylors for winter.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #469
RobMoriRB
RobMoriRB
training to get Elite
Max Brawn
Points: 9,267, Level: 64 Points: 9,267, Level: 64 Points: 9,267, Level: 64
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
My Mood: Cheerful
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member
Default Squat Form Check

Bench: 330(305)
Total: 1185lbs
Equipped Goals(Current)
Squat: 500(465)
Sumo Dead Lift:500(475)
Bench:330(305)
Total:1245

Block Program: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16237

BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #470
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoriRB View Post
Looks solid. I didn't notice anything of concern.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook