Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #391
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Ok thanks everyone. This means I can start to focus on increasing the weights.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #392
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
Been workin' on ma' sqats some more. What do you think of the depth? From the first angle it looks like I'm shallow, but if you skip to 0:50 from the side it looks like I'm going SUPER deep, with plenty to spare.

I even took 2 videos from the back and 2 from the side. Both of the side shots looked very good, while the back shots looked shallow. Is it just because of the angle...? Surely my form can't be that inconsistent..?

(!WARNING! Includes music)

What's the word on knees out vs. knees forward? I find I'm weaker if I thrust the knees out. I think my knees may already be enough "out" naturally? Or is it just that when the knees are forward, I'm not going as deep?
Depth looks good. Pushing your knees out will give you more glute activation than not pushing them out.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #393
TDawg75
TDawg75
is trying to build his shoobs!
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 2,109, Level: 27 Points: 2,109, Level: 27 Points: 2,109, Level: 27
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Training Exp: <1 year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

A couple of deadlift videos from my first deadlift workout. (earlier today). I am uploading two vids-one that is really light, and one that is heavy (for me). My deadlift is waaaaay behind my squat because I have not been working it. I hope it will improve quickly. Only time will tell. These vids are 135lbs and 225lbs. My form was extremely bad at 275, so there is no use in posting that set for review. These are to see if my form changed as the weight got heavier. I cannot do conventional deadlifts due to my uhhh, extra large fuel tank, so these are almost a sumo width. Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

#1-compete in a pl meet
#2-get a 3/4/5 in the gym, then at a meet
#3-get a 4/5/6 in the gym, then at a meet
#4-set/break at least one state record
TDawg75 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #394
1morerep
1morerep
is in a mission
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45

My Mood: Yeehaw
1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

Try to keep your back straight instead of bending your torso every time that you going up and down. Also, it looks like you looking up and down during the whole exercise. Focus in a something (eyes level) keeping the neck and head nice and tight. The hips are a little bit low and you are actually lifting the weight with your back. Try to imagine yourself pushing the floor down while pushing your hips forward.

I prefer over and under grip for bigger weights and wrestling shoes...

*Elite has some good videos about sumo technique.

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #395
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
A couple of deadlift videos from my first deadlift workout. (earlier today). I am uploading two vids-one that is really light, and one that is heavy (for me). My deadlift is waaaaay behind my squat because I have not been working it. I hope it will improve quickly. Only time will tell. These vids are 135lbs and 225lbs. My form was extremely bad at 275, so there is no use in posting that set for review. These are to see if my form changed as the weight got heavier. I cannot do conventional deadlifts due to my uhhh, extra large fuel tank, so these are almost a sumo width. Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ipyqSIBzVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enaO4hQTOAY
Your worst sets are the ones where you have the most technical breakdowns. In my opinion, it is worth more to post those than to post these two. These two looked way easy. The problem I have had with deadlifting light is that I find I can easily mask my weaknesses with my strengths. For example, I have a very strong back. If I am getting weak leg drive, and lifting with all back, I won't realize it until the weight is heavy enough because I won't feel it. (I am not sure if I am explaining this very well...) I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, I just think that technique should be critiqued with maximal weight or something very close.

The 135 vid was too light to tell anything from. The 225 looked decent. I didn't see any major technique flaws other than changing your head positioning during the set. Even a small movement can throw you out of the groove while deadlifting and cause you to have to muscle your way through a portion of the lift instead of maximizing your natural leverage. Again, it will be hard to notice this when you are using weight that is too light.

If I were you, I would do three things.

Increase your volume by replacing lighter sets with heavy ones (still do light ones to warm-up though). Deadlifting 135x10 can be good resistance cardio, but from the looks of your video, it doesn't seem to be doing too much for you by way of muscle building. It is just too light. If you decide to do this, and find that you can't recover from the extra heavy lifting then dial the volume back a bit until you find balance. Slow and steady progress is the way to go.

Second, consider only doing single reps until you really get the technique down. The benefit to this, in my opinion, is that you are forced to set up and get tight every single time. This will teach your body to deadlift the correct way on every single rep. Muscle memory.

Finally, post your heaviest sets for critique as well. When your form breaks down, your weaknesses are really exposed. Often times what we think are form flaws, are really areas where we lack strength. If someone points out what we can work on, and how we can work on it to get better, then we may spend that much less time spinning our wheels stuck at a plateau.

Oh, and loose the boots. Either go barefoot or get some flat soled shoes.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #396
TDawg75
TDawg75
is trying to build his shoobs!
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 2,109, Level: 27 Points: 2,109, Level: 27 Points: 2,109, Level: 27
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Training Exp: <1 year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
The hips are a little bit low and you are actually lifting the weight with your back. Try to imagine yourself pushing the floor down while pushing your hips forward.

I prefer over and under grip for bigger weights and wrestling shoes...
Thanks for your input. I wasn't aware that I was moving my head/torso, etc. I will have to work on that. I also thought that keeping my hips low involved my legs more and my back less. So, you are saying that it is the other way around? That is my biggest worry, hurting my back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Increase your volume by replacing lighter sets with heavy ones (still do light ones to warm-up though). Deadlifting 135x10 can be good resistance cardio, but from the looks of your video, it doesn't seem to be doing too much for you by way of muscle building. It is just too light. If you decide to do this, and find that you can't recover from the extra heavy lifting then dial the volume back a bit until you find balance. Slow and steady progress is the way to go.

Second, consider only doing single reps until you really get the technique down. The benefit to this, in my opinion, is that you are forced to set up and get tight every single time. This will teach your body to deadlift the correct way on every single rep. Muscle memory.

Finally, post your heaviest sets for critique as well. When your form breaks down, your weaknesses are really exposed. Often times what we think are form flaws, are really areas where we lack strength. If someone points out what we can work on, and how we can work on it to get better, then we may spend that much less time spinning our wheels stuck at a plateau.

Oh, and loose the boots. Either go barefoot or get some flat soled shoes.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will post my heaviest set for reference (after 225 I went straight to 275) but it is horribly bad. I did the light weights because this was my first deadlift workout. I am probably going to drop my reps as you suggested. I am afraid too many reps on my deadlift day may affect my squat day. While I would still like to build muscle with my squats as well as strength, I am just concerned with strength as far as deadlifts go, so it will most likely be singles and triples.

And both of you, as well as one other person, suggested that I pick up some flat sole shoes, so I will do that as soon as I can.

Again, thanks to both of you for the advice. I will work on these things.

#1-compete in a pl meet
#2-get a 3/4/5 in the gym, then at a meet
#3-get a 4/5/6 in the gym, then at a meet
#4-set/break at least one state record
TDawg75 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #397
1morerep
1morerep
is in a mission
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45

My Mood: Yeehaw
1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

ck this out!

[QUOTE=TDawg75;413601]Thanks for your input. I wasn't aware that I was moving my head/torso, etc. I will have to work on that. I also thought that keeping my hips low involved my legs more and my back less. So, you are saying that it is the other way around? That is my biggest worry, hurting my back.

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #398
zach90
zach90
getin stronger daily
Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 6 years
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

i dont know if its in my head or if somthing is wrong with my form but for a bit now i havnt been liking it. tell me what you think guys
zach90 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #399
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,777, Level: 71 Points: 11,777, Level: 71 Points: 11,777, Level: 71
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach90 View Post
i dont know if its in my head or if somthing is wrong with my form but for a bit now i havnt been liking it. tell me what you think guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX3WpTc77C0
It's Friday night at 11:00 and I'm knee deep in my 4th rum and coke, but I'm totally going to take a stab at this. You're main issue IS in your head, as in, you're not leading with it. Your hips are starting to raise before anything else. This tells me two things; 1. you're thinking about lifting the weight instead of simply standing up and leading with your head. Just push your head towards the sky, stand up, and take the bar for the ride. 2. you're loose when you start your lift. The fact that you start the lift with no tension, especially in the lower back, means your hips start to raise up as you create enough tension to finally get the bar off the ground.

When you are in position to start your lift, start to slowly build tension by lightly pulling up on the bar. The feeling will be that you are pulling your butt DOWN as you build tension in the bar. Then, when you're tight and ready to go, push your head towards the sky.

There you go. Not bad for a buzzed response, eh?
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1325
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #400
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 8,570, Level: 62 Points: 8,570, Level: 62 Points: 8,570, Level: 62
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Way to go soldier.

On the 365 rep you took a long time bent over thinking and not lifting. I remember watching a Brian Carroll video where he coached walk up to the bar, place your under hand, pull some slack out, grab with over hand and immediately pull. On the same note Christian Thibadeau sp? coached not to stand at the bar before lift, stand several steps back, take big breaths, and angrily go stand up with the bar.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook