Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #331
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,573, Level: 78 Points: 14,573, Level: 78 Points: 14,573, Level: 78
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMorePlate View Post
Very solid form just need to fix your head position it should be neutral., Eyes should be looking forward from the start of the pull this will also give your hip a bit lower starting point(more leverage). Sound like you preloaded the bar sometimes on a couple could see the torso pause while hips were rising. Vid makes your lower back look like its slightly rounded rather than arched, not sure. In addition to the hips shooting forward focus on lifting the chest up quickly.
I'm not sure what you're seeing with his head. It actually is neutral. His head is in line with his spine the entire time. It's one of the best spine alignments I've seen in a deadlift. Facing his eyes forwards would actually pull him out of alignment by creating an additional bend in the spine.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #332
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
Might I ask for critique on my deadlift PR set of 5? Here's the vid:

I feel like I've finally found the Holy Grail of Deadlifting (tm). When I bend down to pick up the bar, I bend my back like a scaredy cat, and then from that position squeeze my ass tight, thus straightening my lower back, and pull. It feels GREAT, with absolutely no pain anywhere, unlike when I used to really hyperextend and arch my back. Now I just let it be in whatever position it wants. Instead of thinkin' 'bout pushing down on the floor, I'm imagining thrusting the hips forwards.

Looking at the video, it doesn't look very good but what do I know? That's why I'm asking Note that as I said, this was also a PR, so it was really at my limits, so of course the form is not perfect.
You're very close to a great deadlift here. It's true that you need to get your hips just a tad lower. I do it by thinking about putting my knees between my arms. The further they go through my arms, the lower my hips are. Note, I'm not saying you need to completely change things, but with your hips that high it forces you to use all lower back and glutes. If you can bend your knees just a little more then you'll be able to start the lift with your legs until the bar comes near your knees. Once it gets to your knees, THEN engage your hips and squeeze your glutes to lock out the weight. It'll feel odd and maybe even weak at first, but as the weights get bigger this will let you use more muscles instead of just relying on your lower back.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #333
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor
Default QU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
You're very close to a great deadlift here. It's true that you need to get your hips just a tad lower. I do it by thinking about putting my knees between my arms. The further they go through my arms, the lower my hips are. Note, I'm not saying you need to completely change things, but with your hips that high it forces you to use all lower back and glutes. If you can bend your knees just a little more then you'll be able to start the lift with your legs until the bar comes near your knees. Once it gets to your knees, THEN engage your hips and squeeze your glutes to lock out the weight. It'll feel odd and maybe even weak at first, but as the weights get bigger this will let you use more muscles instead of just relying on your lower back.
Thanks, I think I know what you mean. I'm still in the phase of honing this technique, so I'll focus on those things next time. In any case it seems like I'm a little bit too insecure about my form at times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMorePlate
Vid makes your lower back look like its slightly rounded rather than arched, not sure. In addition to the hips shooting forward focus on lifting the chest up quickly.
Yes, it looks like that to me, too. Part of it may be because it was such a limit lift.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #334
OneMorePlate
OneMorePlate
Squat More, good things will happen.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're seeing with his head. It actually is neutral. His head is in line with his spine the entire time. It's one of the best spine alignments I've seen in a deadlift. Facing his eyes forwards would actually pull him out of alignment by creating an additional bend in the spine.
Everything follows the head.
If his head is up a little more it will put both his hips back and down a little keeping his spinal alinement the same.
As you mention these are tweaks not radical changes.
OneMorePlate is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #335
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
Might I ask for critique on my deadlift PR set of 5? Here's the vid:

With the head down like that your shoulders are also a little forward of the bar. You are hanging out over the bar. You can tell because as you start to pull your shoulders move forward several inches. Your body is trying to find the best leverage with the position you put it in.

The shoulders moving forward is a sign of a problem, and not the problem. Get your head up a little and take another video. Let's see how it looks.

The hips are up because of the head and the resulting shoulders moving forward.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-19-2013 at 10:17 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #336
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMorePlate View Post
Everything follows the head.
If his head is up a little more it will put both his hips back and down a little keeping his spinal alinement the same.
As you mention these are tweaks not radical changes.
Awe, thanks for clarifying, now I see what you're talking about.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #337
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
This is basically the exact advice I was going to offer! Need more leg drive in your deadlift.

Personally, I do not subscribe to the head-neutral theory. I may be "scientifically" wrong and that's fine, but I find looking up before I start the pull helps me get and keep my back tight which prevents me from shifting forward like you are doing.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #338
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

So today was a deadlift workout again... My lower back felt tired after squatting and I was worried I was not gonna make it... In addition I was unsure about the form advice I got from you. Anyway, here we go - I can do this - barbell, you're about to friggin' lose.

I set myself up a little bit further away from the bar than usual, and bent over to pick it up. Let the back round like a gorilla, get the chest as high as possible. Hips low.. Remember to gaze more up this time. The knees came between my arms by themselves. Then squeeze the glutes and pull.... and... BOOM! Everything clicked into place. It felt really comfortable, my back felt perfect, the weight came up like it was nothing. This is how deadlifts are supposed to feel, I thought. I felt like my whole body was doing the lift, not just my posterior chain. I could've cranked out a couple of more reps out of it had I wanted to.

You guys are the best. Of course, this was just a minor alteration - one that I surely would've figured out eventually by myself - but it definitely felt so much better just by that. Now, I know 145 kg's is not that impressive even for 5 reps, but it's a truly significant PR for me. You see, I've had a history of deadlifts screwing with my back, but now I feel like I can finally get it on par with my squats! I'm starting to like this exercise. I'll record a new video sometime for more critique.

Last edited by mohiz; 08-23-2013 at 06:25 AM.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #339
TitleFight
TitleFight
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 397, Level: 7 Points: 397, Level: 7 Points: 397, Level: 7

TitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality posts

Here's the video of my 295 set, I can't get my hips to stay down once I initiate the pull. I try and use cues to correct this but I just can't do it. I'm not sure if it's really an issue because I'm still able to pull fast with good form, except that last rep which is really ugly. Any suggestions are appreciated.

TitleFight is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #340
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

It looks like you are off balance and have your weight shifted forward on the balls of your feet the entire time. It's hard to tell for sure from your video. It may be an issue with lack of back tightness or lack of upper back strength. Are you pulling the slack out of the bar before you begin the lift? It doesn't look like you are. That can cause a lack of back tightness and cause your hips to rise and shoulders to jerk forward and put you out in front of the bar like in the video. Your whole body should be tight before you start a deadlift, from calves to neck.

Also, what shoes are you wearing? They look like regular cross trainers. Go with a flat-soled shoe like a wrestling shoe or just go barefoot. Those squishy soles can throw you off balance.

It's much easier to pick out form mistakes from a video with a maximal lift. You can get away with stuff on submaximal lifts that just wouldn't be possible on a maximal lift. Especially with a deadlift.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook