Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,674, Level: 100 Points: 33,674, Level: 100 Points: 33,674, Level: 100
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Default Thoughts about week links and exercise selection

So, the big 3(4) lifts are static, but for assistance work i think the most of us have lifts that we prefer to do, that feels "safe" and on which we can handle weight with confidence. Atleast I have.

What struck me, is that every workout that includes assistance lifts, should include atleast one exercise that you absolutely hate to perform, on which form is bad and weight moved is ridicilously low.

By doing this, over time, I bet that some unknown week areas will be shown and taken care off, and that new overall strength is won.

Thoughts on this?

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,499, Level: 100 Points: 36,499, Level: 100 Points: 36,499, Level: 100
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
So, the big 3(4) lifts are static, but for assistance work i think the most of us have lifts that we prefer to do, that feels "safe" and on which we can handle weight with confidence. Atleast I have.

What struck me, is that every workout that includes assistance lifts, should include atleast one exercise that you absolutely hate to perform, on which form is bad and weight moved is ridicilously low.

By doing this, over time, I bet that some unknown week areas will be shown and taken care off, and that new overall strength is won.

Thoughts on this?
When training for a powerlifting focus I definitely think that assistance moves should be hard to perform OR difficult moves. The reason for this is that you don't want your assistance to sap your strength and recovery time for the main lifts. Choosing difficult to perform exercises or ones that you hate, is definitely a good way to achieve this.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,674, Level: 100 Points: 33,674, Level: 100 Points: 33,674, Level: 100
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Agreed.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I don't really like any lifts that are easy to perform. I would rather do the ones that are taxing, and manage sets and volume, than to waste time on something that isn't building strength.

The only thing that holds me back from some of my favorites, zerchers especially, is the burden they place on the lower back.

I found that I can handle quite a bit of heavy deadlifting, but if I add in zerchers, good mornings and front squats my lower back fatigues. So I would rather deadlift.

I like every set to be hard. I like that feeling of walking on the edge, but doing it intelligently.

I usually structure my assistance work based on experiences. For example, sumos deadlifts seem to help my hammies and adductors during squats, so I add them in to fill that need. Too many RDLs tax my hips so I have to be careful.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook