Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Coffee is once again bad

Reading Flex magazine while taking care of some importance business and read a nutrition blurb. This is a paraphrase:

Quote:
A study reveals morning coffee raises morning cortisol levels, and keeps them elevated. The study also revealed that decaf coffee also raises cortisol, though not as much. Take a 200mg caffeine pill instead.
Oddly enough, this same author has advised coffee intake many, many times because it improves performance, awareness, CNS function, whatever it does. This advice, of course, was backed by studies.

Wanted to post this because it is a good example of the noise in this industry. Coffee is good, coffee is bad, coffee is good, coffee is bad. All by the same Flex mag author.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-11-2011 at 09:51 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

hahaha, im sure i have read articles by the same author at times with completely conflicting points of view too... Fat is good/fat is bad/fat is good, go to failure/don't go to failure/go to failure etc etc...

If they stuck to one idea they wouldn't sell half as many mag's

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn
Points: 7,254, Level: 56 Points: 7,254, Level: 56 Points: 7,254, Level: 56
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
My Mood: Devilish
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

At least its not recycled articles like other mags lol. I've only read one Flex mag not a big fan anyway.
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I get magazine subscriptions each year via my daughter's school fundraisers. I usually get Flex and M&F to keep up with industry trends.

I think they have been using the same format for 30 years with regards to studies. A study will come out, and the head writer will turn it into a "do this, don't do that" eye catcher.

It would be interesting to piece together every one of these over the last 30 years. In doing so, I believe one would begin to understand why so many are confused in this industry.

I actually remember back in the day I would remember all of these studies, and try to apply them. I didn't drink coffee for 10 years because of one of them.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
wesrman
wesrman
has not a status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
My Mood: Inspired
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Are eggs still good? :P

Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn

mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Then you have some mags that use the exact same articles just reformated about every 6 months that didn't help in the first place. These mags also in my opinion do more then good with lines like abs by summer, or increase bench by 50 pounds in one month. Both of which can be done but the abs by summer usely is just the auther putting together random exercises with random rep ranges.

and the add 50 pounds to bench is all beginer gains. Plus now you have guys doing these dumb routines and starving themselves thinking they will drop to 3% bodyfat while getting a 300 bench in month.

These mags have good intentions at first but end up hurting more people then helping in my opinion of course not all mags but some(mens health, mens fittness,) and some hardcore bodybuilding one ect... /rant sorry for hijacking thread lol

Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
Are eggs still good? :P
I didn't know they were good again? I thought we still had this fear that egg yolks are worse than a bag or Doritos...

Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post

These mags have good intentions at first but end up hurting more people then helping in my opinion of course not all mags but some(mens health, mens fittness,) and some hardcore bodybuilding one ect... /rant sorry for hijacking thread lol
Rant away. This thread really was about the way magazines breed confusion.

The last issue of Flex featured a 5 day split with 40+ working sets per day. I haven't checked out this month's workout yet...

Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
mab54
mab54
The Imp!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Rant away. This thread really was about the way magazines breed confusion.

The last issue of Flex featured a 5 day split with 40+ working sets per day. I haven't checked out this month's workout yet...
40!!! one of the best routines in my opinion only has 15 working sets 3 days a week

see what i meen though 40 sets will just kill this guys who really want to be weightlifter but when the beginer gains go away and they are still doing 40 sets 5 days a week they will start to lose there new found strength and stop lifting.

I'm sure a routine like that would work for ronnie or cutler or yates but for everyone else no. Even guys who do juice that might be to much.

Though i know guys who weight 5 and 6 days a week and make great gains who are natural but they only work one group and its uselly 3 lifts for3x15 or something close.

I'm saying all this but then you have guys like john bronz(i think is his name) whos has his guys work up to max effort everyday on squats and olympic lifts and make great progress.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
40!!! one of the best routines in my opinion only has 15 working sets 3 days a week

see what i meen though 40 sets will just kill this guys who really want to be weightlifter but when the beginer gains go away and they are still doing 40 sets 5 days a week they will start to lose there new found strength and stop lifting.

I'm sure a routine like that would work for ronnie or cutler or yates but for everyone else no. Even guys who do juice that might be to much.

Though i know guys who weight 5 and 6 days a week and make great gains who are natural but they only work one group and its uselly 3 lifts for3x15 or something close.

I'm saying all this but then you have guys like john bronz(i think is his name) whos has his guys work up to max effort everyday on squats and olympic lifts and make great progress.
It was a Hany Rambod workout. I actually have it on MAB:

FST-7 Five Day Training Split By Hany Rambod - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

Arm and abs day has 47 sets I believe...

Regarding Broz...they aren't doing a ton of rep work (that I know of). Most Olympic style lifts don't involve a heavy eccentric price. Eccentrics are really the most taxing aspect of major lifts.

Of course, back squatting frequently each day involves eccentrics, but they are certainly not doing 400+ reps each day like the Flex workouts. Not that it isn't taxing in its own right...obviously it is.

Share with Facebook