Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default how much leg work on full body workouts ?

the legs are the largest muscle group in the body but 9/10 full body routines only have about 9 sets for the hamstrings and quads.

how much leg work is needed on a full body workout for your hamstrings and quads to grow ?
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

What do you mean?

I do a fullbody workout with 25 sets of squats a week and 7 sets of Deadlifts, that's 32 sets a week at least pretty much focussed on legs as well as some other body parts.

I can't imagine a fullbody workout with less than that, so where do you get that 9/10 number from?

A little more information on what you are doing would help figure out where you need help.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
What do you mean?

I do a fullbody workout with 25 sets of squats a week and 7 sets of Deadlifts, that's 32 sets a week at least pretty much focussed on legs as well as some other body parts.

I can't imagine a fullbody workout with less than that, so where do you get that 9/10 number from?

A little more information on what you are doing would help figure out where you need help.
most beginer workouts only have 3 working sets so when I say 9/10 I am talikng about beginer workouts.

The steve reeves workout has you squating 3 times a week plus 1 working deadlift which gives you 10 sets for the legs

plus most AB full body workouts go day1 squat and day 2 deadlift also giving you 9 sets.

I just want to make sure that 9 sets per week is enough for the quads and hams to grow

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 AM   #4
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I would recommend that when you begin you don't treat the legs any different and give them the same amount of volume as you would the rest of the body. For a complete beginner 9 sets of squats per week followed by 9 sets of either PC's, GM's or DL would not be unreasonable.

Once you've been training a while you can get a feel for how much volume you need/can cope with. Use that as a guideline. However this requires prior experience of 6-12 months+ to really be in a position to answer that question properly.

This is where you will see individual variation in Full Body Routines. My own FBR was a progression from a bare-bones basic 3 times a week approach to now: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful...tml#post141495

I have tailored that approach to what I can realistically handle for each bodypart. That varies for each bodypart, it's all about getting to know what you're capable of and what you best respond to.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Fazc; 06-04-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Grammar
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #5
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

From experience there is more than enough work for the legs in the Reeves Classic, plus remember one of the first additions to that routine is to add some SLDL on one of the days each week as well.

So as hammies get hit in the SLDL, squat and Regular deadlift and quads get hit in the squat and regualr deadlift, including ramping weights thats the hammies getting hit directly 6 times per week (SLDL and DL) and indirectly 9 times per week (squats) and the quads getting hit 12 times directly (squats and DL)... a total of 27 sets for the legs !!!

Try not to think of a fullbody routine as each muscle getting worked x number of times, there is more to it than that, they are written with an overall amount of work for the whole body as the goal, and trust me, if done at the proper intensity will give great overall growth the the body.

hope this helps

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Yeah well put, Carl.

I'd also add your main focus at the moment should be to adding weight to the bar. That more than anything at the beginner stage will get you growing.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post

Try not to think of a fullbody routine as each muscle getting worked x number of times, there is more to it than that,

Carl.
This is the real take home point. It took me a long time to stop thinking of fullbody workouts in terms of bodyparts.

It's better to look at them in terms of natural movements, and natural strength planes.

--Pulling towards the body.
--Pushing away from the body.
--Pushing overhead.
--Pulling down from overhead.
--Lifting off the ground.
--Squating and standing.

It took me a year to finally stop trying to squeeze in X number of sets for each bodypart into the confines of a fullbody.

For hammies, squats and deadlifts will do plenty. From there, you can either do a HLM style ala Casey Butt and add in leg curls on Wednesday, or add in RDLs somehow if you feel you need more hammie work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Reinaldo.Gomes
Reinaldo.Gomes
is hungry for power.
New Brawn
Points: 656, Level: 13 Points: 656, Level: 13 Points: 656, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: about 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: cheap protein powders
My Mood: Daring
Reinaldo.Gomes is new to the forumReinaldo.Gomes is new to the forum

My legs work per week:

2x8 squat
1x8 stiff
2x8 deadlift

Warm ups not listed.

In 50 days now, my thighs are 1cm bigger, training 2 days per week.
That's just as much (or even more) than I used to grow with spit routine, working up to 15 sets per leg workout.
Reinaldo.Gomes is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This is the real take home point. It took me a long time to stop thinking of fullbody workouts in terms of bodyparts.

It's better to look at them in terms of natural movements, and natural strength planes.

--Pulling towards the body.
--Pushing away from the body.
--Pushing overhead.
--Pulling down from overhead.
--Lifting off the ground.
--Squating and standing.

It took me a year to finally stop trying to squeeze in X number of sets for each bodypart into the confines of a fullbody.

For hammies, squats and deadlifts will do plenty. From there, you can either do a HLM style ala Casey Butt and add in leg curls on Wednesday, or add in RDLs somehow if you feel you need more hammie work.
I finally get how a fullbody routine works .No need to make my own routine up I will use this workout that has all the natural movements over 2 days.

Workout A

Squats 5 x 5-10
Bench Press 5 x 5-10
Pull Ups or Power Cleans 3 x 10
Barbell Curls 3 x 10
Weighted Situps 3 x 10-25
Workout B

Deadlift 5 x 5
Seated Overhead Press 5 x 5-10
Barbell or DB Rows 3 x 10
Dips 3 x 10
Calf Raises 3 x 10

thanks for the help

Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Trevor Ross
Trevor Ross
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheerful
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

One major exercise for each major muscle group.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook