Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Workout for Fat Loss

Never ceases to amaze me how many people believe that a workout is a magic weight loss bullet. There is this myth for many that if they only find the right workout, the weight will drip off.

I wish that were the case.

After nearly 30 years of exercise, there is one thing I know - the more I exercise, the hungrier I get. Weight loss is about self-control, not workouts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,670, Level: 76 Points: 13,670, Level: 76 Points: 13,670, Level: 76
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Not just self-control, but planning ahead. When I'm in weight loss mode, every meal is planned out, sometimes the day before. Stick to the plan, no encuses, no changes, lose the weight. It has very little to do with working out. Hell, I'm training harder than ever these days for the Army, and I've gained a couple lbs.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Violent Volume
Violent Volume
is a pork chop
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Won: 1

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

Calories in calories out. Even busting my balls I don't think I burn enough calories to make much of a difference.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
IarnSmith
IarnSmith
has no status.
Banned
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

IarnSmith is off to a bad start

Self control is the only way to burn fat. In my opinion cardio workout is best solution for fat. Try to do 30 minute running in the morning and do some walk. These exercises will burn your calories. Water is also beneficial for this purpose.
IarnSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

The exercise is important for strength and health, but it's the diet that causes fat loss. Certainly, extra exercise will help to burn calories, but not nearly enough to make up for bad eating habits.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Never ceases to amaze me how many people believe that a workout is a magic weight loss bullet. There is this myth for many that if they only find the right workout, the weight will drip off.

I wish that were the case.

After nearly 30 years of exercise, there is one thing I know - the more I exercise, the hungrier I get. Weight loss is about self-control, not workouts.
Yep, many forget that it's a combination of the two, neither will work alone unless the person's diet is already at maintenance level in which case the extra exercise will push the needed calorie to excess and they lose the extra by default then anyway. And, as Soldier highlighted, weight is to a degree relative since muscle mass adds weight and in the case of females still allows loss of inches due to density of muscle tissue as opposed to as much hypertrophy as a male would see.

Weight is such a misnomer, I think it should have been altered to "fat loss" years ago then we wouldn't keep seeing the complications that a term like "weight/weight loss" can and do cause.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I have to disagree, my own experiences and that of bodybuilders from the 'golden era' have shown considerably better fat loss with higher volume/lower intensity routines.

Something similar to what i'm currently doing is optimal for me. Slowly increasing workload during pre-competition times is a classic method used by Park, Reeves and co and well documented by McCallum.

Just like Full-Body lifting, and concentrating on the basics I believe it's a method which was lost in the shuffle during the drug era days. However this method has not yet been embraced back as well as Full-Body routines, but I believe it should.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I have to disagree, my own experiences and that of bodybuilders from the 'golden era' have shown considerably better fat loss with higher volume/lower intensity routines.
There is something to be said about the metabolic effect of some high intensity training methods, but I believe in the end that diet is king for fat loss. A good combination of both I guess would be optimal.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
A good combination of both I guess would be optimal.
Agreed.

To clarify my post: Diet is just as important as ever.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,151, Level: 96 Points: 26,151, Level: 96 Points: 26,151, Level: 96
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I tell my Fit For the King folks, fatloss is 80% in the kitchen. The workouts and the Cardio just help the work in the kitchen be more effective.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook