Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Lightbulb Fess up!

Now, we all know that we get things wrong, that we adhere to something which we later realise we were wrong about (all the perfect members need not respond )...so...

What have you realised you were wrong about, with regard to training, even though you may have staunchly held on to the concept, at some point?

For me: at one time, I was an advocate of HIIT above and beyond LISS; I've now come to understand that both have their place and regard them equally.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Easy for me. When I first got on the Internet I was a split guy the whole way. I thought any other method of training was idiotic and inferior.

I held the secret.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
WilldBill88
WilldBill88
is Hungry!
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,473, Level: 47 Points: 5,473, Level: 47 Points: 5,473, Level: 47

Training Exp: 2 Years
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Yeehaw
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

At first I only wanted to do curls and isolation exercises. Thanks to MAB I learned other wise. Still learning, I know after coming here I listened to a lot of advice from geared lifters, now I'm learning a little more how RAW lifters train.. I guess training is always evolving!

Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill88 View Post
At first I only wanted to do curls and isolation exercises. Thanks to MAB I learned other wise. Still learning, I know after coming here I listened to a lot of advice from geared lifters, now I'm learning a little more how RAW lifters train.. I guess training is always evolving!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Gorship
Gorship
wants to earn the right to say he Lifts
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
My Mood: Inspired
Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor

hard to admit..

i was admit you had to change up your exercises to "shock your muscles" It always never made sense to me but i just kinda went with it.
Philippians 1:21: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Log!

www.needGod.com
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,309, Level: 70 Points: 11,309, Level: 70 Points: 11,309, Level: 70
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Great question. I am sure over the years I have had many ideas that I was completely wrong about. I am tempted to search through old threads else where....
I used to be a staunch believer in 4 day splits early on, although I never discredited other methods. And I actual still believe 4 day splits have a place in training.

I used to believe in "attacking the muscle from all angles" in order to grow. Any other approach was less than optimal. For example, if you didn't bench press, incline db press, db flies and cable crossovers you were selling yourself short.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,811, Level: 73 Points: 12,811, Level: 73 Points: 12,811, Level: 73
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

When I first got interested in powerlifting I found PLINGUSA just a few months before they went out. There I found Westside. I thought quads were stupid, useless, and in the way. Not blaming that on Westside, just me being a newbie.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,847, Level: 100 Points: 36,847, Level: 100 Points: 36,847, Level: 100
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Early in my lifting career I believed that my way was the only way. I am embarrassed by some of my early forum posts especially those regarding diet. Having completely dismissed The Anabolic Diet, I subsequently found keto dieting or variations thereof to be by far the most effective for me.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,158, Level: 100 Points: 34,158, Level: 100 Points: 34,158, Level: 100
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

ALOT! Since I still am a beginner and constantly learning, my biggest learning so far is to realise that nothing is carved in stone. If it works, it works. Hard work and dedication weighs more than any program.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #10
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

For a long time, I thought that deadlifting was pointless and that the involved muscles could easily be built up with other exercises without the risk. HAHAHA! I think the truth was that I didn't know how to deadlift properly so I fooled myself into believing this.

So glad I have found my way since then, at least on the deadlifting piece...
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook