Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #51
Call_Me_Ishmael
Call_Me_Ishmael
doesn't have to be faster than the bear- just faster than the slowest camper.
Brawn
Points: 570, Level: 11 Points: 570, Level: 11 Points: 570, Level: 11
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Standing shoulder press
Call_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sorry, but pics like these force me to ask- why is Arnold revered in forums like these as a hero while Weider is vilified as some kind of arch villain?

Am I missing something?

Did Arnold not lend his name/ image to bogus products like this? How is he not a collaborator in Weider's scams?

It just bugs me.
Call_Me_Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #52
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_Me_Ishmael View Post
Sorry, but pics like these force me to ask- why is Arnold revered in forums like these as a hero while Weider is vilified as some kind of arch villain?

Am I missing something?

Did Arnold not lend his name/ image to bogus products like this? How is he not a collaborator in Weider's scams?

It just bugs me.
Good question.

I guess one difference might be that to begin with, Weider held all the cards, and Arnold held none. If you wanted to make it in bodybuilding in the late 1960s, you pretty much had to work for Weider. Arnold did what every bodybuilder did - pimped themselves out to survive. Weider is more culpable because he was pulling the strings.

Not everything Weider did was terrible, by a long chalk. He helped make affordable weight kits available to tens of thousands of people for example. His nutritional supplements were no better or worse than all the other junk that was available at the time. But for me, there are at least three reasons why he deserves censure:

1. The shameless lies on his non-bodybuilding products. I'm thinking about the martial arts advertising, and the ludicrous claims of having done $400,000 worth of research (if I remember correctly, it's in this thread somewhere). I mean, I know bodybuilding advertising is steeped in deceit, but some of that stuff goes above and beyond the call of marketing.

2. The exploitation of the bodybuilders. Read Dave Draper on this. He paid bodybuilders a pittance - at a time when he was already very successful - had no sense of loyalty to them, tolerated no argument, resisted any attempts from them to improve their conditions and generally behaved like a tyrant.

3. The steadfast pretense for many years that the bodybuilding champions physiques were the result of Weider nutrition and Weider principles, as opposed to genetics, hard work and a boatload of drugs.

Having said that, everything I've heard suggests that Arnold was probably pretty unpleasant in his younger years. For example, he freely admits in his 'Education of a Bodybuilder' that in his late teens he would start fights and beat people up at random just because he felt like it - and especially if there was a girl around. Also, I used to talk a fair bit with an English ex-Mr Olympia competitor who knew Arnold from way back. He told me how in the early days Arnold would refuse to sign autographs without being paid, and once refused to go back on stage for an 'encore' to his guest posing spot unless he was paid an extra 50 in addition to his regular fee. Stuff like that.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #53
Call_Me_Ishmael
Call_Me_Ishmael
doesn't have to be faster than the bear- just faster than the slowest camper.
Brawn
Points: 570, Level: 11 Points: 570, Level: 11 Points: 570, Level: 11
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Standing shoulder press
Call_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Good question.

I guess one difference might be that to begin with, Weider held all the cards, and Arnold held none. If you wanted to make it in bodybuilding in the late 1960s, you pretty much had to work for Weider. Arnold did what every bodybuilder did - pimped themselves out to survive. Weider is more culpable because he was pulling the strings.

Fair enough. That actually makes a good deal of sense.

Last edited by Call_Me_Ishmael; 05-03-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Call_Me_Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook