Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
jhall27
jhall27
GYM READY
New Brawn
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench press
Fav Supp: jack-d
My Mood: Inspired
jhall27 is off to a bad start
Default to much in the gym?

Ok I get it I need time to heal, but I'm (like so many) are addicted. I don"t want to slow down the progress or the motivation that I have gained. Can' I still go to the gym 5 to 6 days a week and still give my muscle time to heal. Can't I go heavy on chest on Mon. then do legs on Tue. giving each group its own time to heal. I just fear that if I lessen the amount of time in the gym it will effect my motivation. You guys have been very helpful I hope I can return the favor one day.
Thank you,
Jeff
jhall27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Hey J; I think it's still possible to train 5 days week if you program it out smart, what are you thinking program wise if you do train 5 days a week. 6 a week is a bit much in my opinion.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

One of the most important things I ever heard was that 'you can do anything if it's light enough'.

Now personally this has lead me down to the road of (eventually) doing 4 days per week full body routines. However I built up to this very slowly, we're talking years. I'm sure there is an upper limit to volume that an individual can handle, but for now it's going well.

Bear in mind goals too, i'm big enough and strong enough to suit me. My goals now are fitness, health and staying in shape, these are also things to consider while you programme your routine.

What are your goals? If you're looking for size and strength then it's very unlikely you would need a 5-6 day split, a 3 day full body routine would be preferred in my opinion.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall27 View Post
Ok I get it I need time to heal, but I'm (like so many) are addicted.
This is BS. You want somebody to tell you that it is ok for you to do what you want, instead of the advice that you have recieved here already.

Quote:
I don"t want to slow down the progress or the motivation that I have gained.
This is BS. You already said that your progress had slowed down. You were told you were training too much, and that you needed more rest and food to grow.

Quote:
Can' I still go to the gym 5 to 6 days a week and still give my muscle time to heal. Can't I go heavy on chest on Mon. then do legs on Tue. giving each group its own time to heal.
You don't need permission to do what you want. Go do what you want to do.

Quote:
I just fear that if I lessen the amount of time in the gym it will effect my motivation.
This is BS. Try the advice that was given to you, and your motivation will be just fine with the progress you will make.

Quote:
Thank you.
You're welcome.

I've included a pack of finishing sandpaper in various grits so you can
polish off the any rough edges I may have left in my response. I didn't have time to make it all pretty, so it might be a little rough.

That should be ok though, because weightlifting is really about the work that you are willing to put in. That includes the time in the gym, and out of the gym.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
One of the most important things I ever heard was that 'you can do anything if it's light enough'.

Now personally this has lead me down to the road of (eventually) doing 4 days per week full body routines. However I built up to this very slowly, we're talking years. I'm sure there is an upper limit to volume that an individual can handle, but for now it's going well.

Bear in mind goals too, i'm big enough and strong enough to suit me. My goals now are fitness, health and staying in shape, these are also things to consider while you programme your routine.

What are your goals? If you're looking for size and strength then it's very unlikely you would need a 5-6 day split, a 3 day full body routine would be preferred in my opinion.
I was going to put a post together today talking about this very thing.
I got busy watching a bunch of reruns of Stargate, and taking a nap, and time slipped by.

I used this approach with a gymnastic strength training bodyweight program to great success.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Not to point too fine a point on it, Jeff, but I must echo what GL has said; he was firm but fair. We both know you're overtraining and it is affecting your gains.

I train on average only 3 days a week, using my 4 day routine on a rotation, and 99% of the time I hit around 50% PRs with each training session.

This is not common for most trainers, even those who've only been training for 14 months.
I can do this because I afford myself plenty of time to rest and grow.

I can practically guarantee you, if you halve the training you do each week (in fact, more than halve, given you often train for 1.5 hours) and get your eating squared away, you will significantly improve your gains.

To touch on what Dmaipa has mentioned: YES, you can train 5 days a week... but there are many more caveats on that statement - especially for an intermediate, natural trainer.

A 5 day template would need to be highly nuanced so it does not cause you injury. I have been lambasted for saying this in the past, but honestly - unless you're a *natural* pro like Dmaipa, or you have the knowledge base to construct a 5+ day routine that's just right - then don't pursue it.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just remember there is more to lifting than just muscles. You are also working your CNS, connective tissue, etc.

Most of the big name trainers in this industry advocate no more than 4 days per week...from Rippetoe to Louie Simmons. I mention this because most realize the importance of balance.

You can train 5 days per week if it's smart. With that said, most injuries come from doing too much, too often. Make sure you learn to maximize every set and every workout. If you are at this point then do what you wan to do....as long as it's working.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just remember there is more to lifting than just muscles. You are also working your CNS, connective tissue, etc.

Most of the big name trainers in this industry advocate no more than 4 days per week...from Rippetoe to Louie Simmons. I mention this because most realize the importance of balance.

You can train 5 days per week if it's smart. With that said, most injuries come from doing too much, too often. Make sure you learn to maximize every set and every workout. If you are at this point then do what you wan to do....as long as it's working.
and i would listen to those guys because I think they know what they are talking about..haha

When I help others with their training programs i usually just keep it with just training 3-4 days. I train 5 days a week at times but i have it programmed in to my overall training and go back to 4 days a week or 3. It's all about smart programming and having effective and efficient workouts.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #9
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Agreed with ^^^^^.

There are many ways to do this if you take the time to do the reading and research. If your healing always stay under 70%, the Repetition Method should be used, which essentially is 30% or less for reps within a 1-3 minute time frame, just enough to "pump" & sent blood to the muscles. What I suggest you do is have 4 lifting days, and maybe some G.P.P. days where you do light cardio just to keep blood moving. So example would be:

1Compound lift, 1 compound assist. lift, 2-3 assist lifts
Sunday-Rest
Monday- Chest,Triceps (Bench Press, Dips,PullUps, Incline Flies, Db Pull overs)
Tuesday- *Legs (Squats, Leg Press/Calve raises, Lunges, Extensions/Curls)
*(Quads,Calves,Hamstrings)
Wednesday- Rest/G.P.P (light cardio to keep the blood flowing to your legs)
Thursday- Shoulders,Triceps (Barbell Push Press, DB Arnold Press,*Delt raises
*(front, middle, rear delts) Db overhead extensions, Triceps Kick bakcs
Friday/Sat- Rest/Cardio
Fri/Saturday- Back,Biceps, Forearms(Deadlift, Row, Barbell Curls, Db Hammer)
Sunday- Rest
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 AM   #10
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Agreed with ^^^^^.

There are many ways to do this if you take the time to do the reading and research. If your healing always stay under 70%, the Repetition Method should be used, which essentially is 30% or less for reps within a 1-3 minute time frame, just enough to "pump" & sent blood to the muscles. What I suggest you do is have 4 lifting days, and maybe some G.P.P. days where you do light cardio just to keep blood moving. So example would be:

1Compound lift, 1 compound assist. lift, 2-3 assist lifts
Sunday-Rest
Monday- Chest,Triceps (Bench Press, Dips,PullUps, Incline Flies, Db Pull overs)
Tuesday- *Legs (Squats, Leg Press/Calve raises, Lunges, Extensions/Curls)
*(Quads,Calves,Hamstrings)
Wednesday- Rest/G.P.P (light cardio to keep the blood flowing to your legs)
Thursday- Shoulders,Triceps (Barbell Push Press, DB Arnold Press,*Delt raises
*(front, middle, rear delts) Db overhead extensions, Triceps Kick bakcs
Friday/Sat- Rest/Cardio
Fri/Saturday- Back,Biceps, Forearms(Deadlift, Row, Barbell Curls, Db Hammer)
Sunday- Rest
Sets and Reps Scheme should be like this more or less:
70% Bench Press- 5-7 wrm up sets 1-3 working sets 3-8reps
Dips- Pending on body-weight/strength 5x5 (repsxsets)
Pull Ups- ^same as above^
Incline Flies- 30% for 1minute x 3 sets or 45-65% 4sets of 5-12
Db Pull Overs- ^as above^
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook