Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,469,608, Level: 100 Points: 1,469,608, Level: 100 Points: 1,469,608, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Jim McLellans Crippling Calf Routine From 1964
by BendtheBar 06-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Jim McLellans Crippling Calf Routine From 1964

Jim McLellan’s Crippling Calf Routine — From 1964

Ive got a confession: I have scrawny calves.

Over the years, Ive tried nearly everything.

Some calf routines helped a little. Some were useless.

And while I often got discouraged about my puny calves I kept trying.

I could fill a book with number of calf-growing-routines and techniques Ive tried.

And Im STILL searching for new things to try. So a while back, I was leafing through an old muscle magazine. And I stumbled across The Jim McLellan Calf Routine.

As the story goes, Jim put 1.5 inches on his calves in two months with this routine. Others have done the same or even slightly better.

I was intrigued. But the original article was a bit short on details. So I tracked down the man himself to get some answers.

A few days later, Im on the phone with Jim McLellan himself. Usually, I like to pace around when Im on the phone. But this time, my butt stays in the chair. Why? Because a few days prior to the phone call, I tried the Jim McLellan calf routine and, as promised I was absolutely crippled for a full week afterward.

But the pain was worth it. I havent even used the routine for a full two weeks yet and my calves are already a half inch bigger.

So without further ado, heres the Jim McLellan Crippling Calf Routine.

The Routine:

Find a place where you can do standing calf raises with additional resistance. If youve got a standing calf machine at the gym, perfect. Or you can do this routine inside the smith machine put the barbell on your back and stand on a 4-inch block.

I work out at home so I do my calf raises standing on a stair step with a hip belt on my waist for additional resistance.

Start with 15 smooth reps. At the bottom of each rep, dip your heels as low as you can so that your calves really get a great stretch. And at the top of each rep, raise your heels as high as you can so your calves are forced to contract fully.

Keep these reps slow and smooth.

Immediately after your 15th rep, youre going to shake your calf muscle. Heres how its done: Leave one foot on the block, so you are still supporting the load with one leg. Take your other leg and try to get your calf muscle to violently flop around by shaking your lower leg. Do this for about 5 8 seconds, then switch legs.

Then, do the shakes one more time for each leg.

SIDE NOTE: Interesting side note about these leg shakes. I found this old-school video of Polish weightlifters practicing and training. And even though this video is ancient, you can see these elite athletes practicing leg shakes after their workouts. Check it out here.

Now, do 8 more calf raises. Again, slow and smooth.

Then, calf shakes again. Shake the left calf, then the right, then the left again, and then right again.

Then, 8 more calf raises. By this point, your calves will be on fire but the fun is just beginning.

After the final rep, youre going to stay on the block and immediately start doing burns. These are short, fast, bouncy calf raises. Dont worry about dropping your heel as low as you can or rising up as high as you can on your toes. Just focus on speed knocking out as many mid-range calf raises as you can.

You should be trying to actually explode off the block in reality your toes wont leave the block but you should be trying to do these fast enough so that it feels like youre about to lift off the block. Then you come crashing down and your calves are forced to stop the momentum.

This will LOOK like youre cheating but what youre really trying to do is torture the calves and do the burns for as long as you can. Dont bother trying to count reps you will be moving too fast for that. Just fight through the pain for as long as possible.

When you cant take another second, now its time for negatives. Stay on the block, and do a full calf raise with both feet, but then remove one foot from the block and lower yourself slowly using only leg. Lower yourself all the way to the bottom, then lift yourself up again with both calves. And at the top, remove the opposite leg and again lower the weight slowly using only one leg.

Do 10-20 negatives for each leg. When youre finished with these, take a 3-5 minute rest. Massage your calves, walk around a bit and give each calf a good stretch. It will be painful, but do it anyway.

After the 3-5 minute rest period is over, do the entire routine again.

After two weeks on the above routine, youll make the following change: After the negatives, add another round of burns and then another round of negatives. Making this change will help increase time under tension and keep the progress going.

Ok, so thats the basic routine. Here are a few additional notes gleaned from my conservation with Jim McLellan.

#1) Train calves 4-5 times per week. The calves are brutally tough and they need to be punished over and over, many times in the same week to make them grow.
#2) Use the same amount of weight for the entire calf training session.
#3) Train calves first in your workout.
#4) You dont need to use heavy weights for this routine to work.
#5) The key is punishing/torturing your calves. Its all about how long you can deal with the pain. Do NOT be nice to your calves.
#6) Dont stop when you cant get a full rep. Thats not failure. Keep going until you cant raise up your heel even a single inch. When your calves are so fried that you cant make your heel raise up even a single inch, thats failure.
#7) Most people with great calves go them from their parents not from hard work.
#8) If you were born with terrible calves, youll probably never have great calves. But you can improve on what youve got by working hard on this routine.
#9) Funny story: Back in the day Jim was training his calves using the above routine. And a local football player laughed at him and called him Bambi because Jims calves were so tiny.

So Jim challenged the football player (who had naturally good calves) to try the routine. The football player accepted and Jim put him through the paces.

The next day, Jim was back in the gym but the football player was no where to be found. Turns out he was stuck in bed his calves were so sore he couldnt even walk! Bambi crippled the big football player. In fact, the football player called the doctor to give him so muscle relaxers to help him deal with the soreness.

So there you have it: The Jim McLellan Calf Routine. Ill be running this routine for at least the next 8 weeks. If your parents stuck you with scrawny calves, why not try this routine for the next 8 weeks along with me? We can all suffer together and document our results in the comments section.

Happy training, and thanks to Jim McLellan for sharing his routine.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Views 630 Comments 3
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 3

Comments

Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
therealmarcogalindo
therealmarcogalindo
is training hard .
therealmgalindo
Brawn
Points: 615, Level: 12 Points: 615, Level: 12 Points: 615, Level: 12
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFT.
Fav Supp: Protein.
My Mood: Amused
therealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good posts

This is tremendous, I to have terrible calves & have tried everything, absolutely everything to try to "fix" the problem, but have found no success.
So im deff going to try this out..
therealmarcogalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,469,608, Level: 100 Points: 1,469,608, Level: 100 Points: 1,469,608, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thought I would bump this for those with stubborn calves.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
brad1224
brad1224
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,181, Level: 46 Points: 5,181, Level: 46 Points: 5,181, Level: 46
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

def going to give this a try. my calves are small as hell

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook