Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Workouts

Notices

Workouts Database of workouts, and workout related resources.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Arnold's "True" Workout System for Size

Volume training did NOT give Arnold most of his size. Fullbody work did. Arnold did evolve his training into using more volume, but if you want to know how he trained to make a substantial portion of his gains, read on...

This is yet another quote from Arnold Schwarzenegger that reveals the impact that Reg Park and fullbody workouts had on his training:

Quote:
When I was trying to get bigger in my early days of training, I followed a routine called the Golden Six. I made tremendous gains on this program and do did many others who trained at my gym in Munich. All agreed that this simple system of training produced excellent gains in muscle size and bodyweight. Here are the Golden Six:

1.) Barbell Squats. This exercise not only develops the lower body, but it strengthens the heart and lungs while improving the general circulation as well. Use a weight that will permit you to perform 4 sets of 10 reps. Always lower yourself until your upper thighs are at least parallel to the floor, and keep your back flat.

2.) Barbell Bench Presses. This is my favorite upper body exercise, and almost every training program I've ever used includes it. Take a fairly wide grip -- your hands about 32 inches apart. Inhale as you lower the bar to your nipples and exhale as you push it back to arms' length. Don't bounce the weight off your chest. 3 sets of 10 reps.

3.) Chins.
If you have limited training experience you may find chins difficult at first. If you have a lat machine, you can perform pulldowns until you've developed sufficient strength to do chins. Use a fairly wide grip and try to bring your chin over the bar. Do as many reps as you can for 3 sets.

4.) Overhead Presses.
This exercise reigns supreme for widening and thickening the shoulders. I prefer to do it seated and often press behind the neck. Use a wide grip -- your thumbs about six inches wider than your delts on each side. Lower the weight slowly and don't pause at the bottom. 4 sets of 10 reps.

5.) Barbell Curls.
The triceps have already been thoroughly exercised during the bench press and the overhead press. Use a shoulder width grip and a weight you can curl without any body movement. Don't let your elbows move away from the sides of your body, make sure you straighten your arms completely before each rep and do 3 sets of 10 reps.

6.) Bent-Knee Situps.
It's only sensible to keep your midsection firm and toned when gaining muscular weight. Situps also improve digestion and elimination as well. Don't pause between reps and continue for 20 or as many reps as you can do without stopping. Do 3 or 4 sets.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-05-2012 at 09:38 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My favorite quote:

Quote:
The triceps have already been thoroughly exercised during the bench press and the overhead press.
This is one topic I have to repeat over and over and over to young lifters attempting fullbody workouts, and they still don't believe me. Fine...ignore me. Believe Arnold instead.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

great find Steve.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
#Maverick#
#Maverick#
IS Down4daCause
Mental State Is Zenlike
Max Brawn
Points: 3,352, Level: 36 Points: 3,352, Level: 36 Points: 3,352, Level: 36
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: About 8 Months
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: MILK
My Mood: Cool
#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My favorite quote:

This is one topic I have to repeat over and over and over to young lifters attempting fullbody workouts, and they still don't believe me. Fine...ignore me. Believe Arnold instead.
yea man im sorry but if after pressing wheter OH incline or reg bench if ur tris are not fried your probably not going intense enough
#Maverick# is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

no deadlift ? i thought the deadlift was a must have exercise
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I am still trying to find out if this took place before or after his powerlifting days, but I assume before. This is a pretty obscure quote.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
recarp82
recarp82
go big or go home
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,307, Level: 20 Points: 1,307, Level: 20 Points: 1,307, Level: 20
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

recarp82 is new to the forumrecarp82 is new to the forum

after my session with james l. and watching his dvd i was suprised that in his run up to becoming pro he didnt work his arms for 8months since they got enough work from everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My favorite quote:

recarp82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Roughyed
Roughyed
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Roughyed is off to a bad start

Casey Butt onced posted on bodybuilding.com an article by the same guy on arnold's full body routines. I always find it kind of frustrating how all these classic guys have so many "routines" out there written by these ghost writers though; none of them seem to match!

...from "How to Gain Weight, Train Hard, Get Massive"
by Arnold Schwarzenegger
as told to Gene Mozee (Ironman, March 1994)...

"Heavy movements stimulate the deep-lying muscle fibers that lighter movements never reach. The objective is to use fewer exercises, employ heavier poundages and train your whole body in one workout. I gained most of my weight and massiveness on a program of 10 exercises that I performed three times a week. After I reached a satisfactory bodyweight, I changed over to the more advanced split system and began training six days a week."

"If you need to put on 20 pounds or more, the following program is for you."

Gain-Weight Routine
Squats 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Bench Presses 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Incline Presses 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Wide-Grip Chins 5 x 8-10
Bent-Over Rows 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Behind-the-Neck-Presses 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Barbell Curls 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Lying Triceps Extensions 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Deadlifts 5 x 3-5 (building up to one max set)
Machine Calf Raises 5 x 10-15

"The above program will build tremendous size and power, but it's too rugged for the beginning bodybuilder. Here's a more appropriate version for the novice."

Beginner Routine
Bent-knee Situps 1 x 15-25
Squats 3 x 10
Bench Presses 3 x 8-10
Bent-Over Rows 3 x 8-10
Military Presses 3 x 8-10
Barbell Curls 3 x 8-10
Deadlifts 2 x 10
Machine Calf Raises 3 x 15-20
Bent-leg Leg Raises 1 x 15-25

"During the first week of training do only one set of each exercise and rest for two to three minutes between exercises. Do two sets for the second week and increase to three sets for the fourth week. If the reps are easy when you hit the top number in the listed range, add weight to the bar - five to 10 pounds is sufficient. Increase the weight whenever possible, but use correct form at all times without straining. Beginners can make continuous progress for at least three months on this program."

"If you're a bodybuilder who works long hours or has limited time to train for some other reason, try the following routine."

Abbreviated Mass Routine
Squats 5 x 6-8
Bench Presses 5 x 6-8
Wide-Grip Chins
or Pulldowns 5 x 8-10
Behind-the-Neck-Presses 5 x 6-8
Barbell Curls 5 x 6-8
Lying Triceps Extensions 5 x 6-8
Deadlifts 5 x 3-5 (building up to one max set)

"Although this version is somewhat shorter, some people gain faster on fewer exercises - probably because they're able to recuperate better and they don't become exhausted from their training."

- "Rest for two minutes between sets of squats and deadlifts, but for most other exercises keep your rest to no more than 1 1/2 minutes."

- "Use these programs three days a week with at least a day of rest between workouts. For example, train on Monday, Wednesday and Friday."
Roughyed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
Trevor Ross
Trevor Ross
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheerful
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughyed View Post

Beginner Routine

Bent-knee Situps 1 x 15-25
Squats 3 x 10
Bench Presses 3 x 8-10
Bent-Over Rows 3 x 8-10
Military Presses 3 x 8-10
Barbell Curls 3 x 8-10
Deadlifts 2 x 10
Machine Calf Raises 3 x 15-20
Bent-leg Leg Raises 1 x 15-25
This is how I would do this.

Military Presses 3 x 8
Squats 3 x 8
Calf Raises 3 x 8
Deadlifts 3 x 12
*Chins 3 x 8
Bench Presses 3 x 8
Bent-Over Rows 3 x 8
*Dips 3 x 8
Barbell Curls 3 x 8

* Do negatives if you lack the horsepower.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
LKJ
LKJ
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

LKJ has made some quality postsLKJ has made some quality postsLKJ has made some quality postsLKJ has made some quality postsLKJ has made some quality postsLKJ has made some quality posts

Incredible! Thank you!

Did Gene Mozee know Marvin Eder? I seem to remember a training program that Mozee wrote about in Ironman that he got from Eder. 5-6 exercises 2-3 times a week. Anyone know about this one?
LKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook