Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Workouts

Notices

Workouts Database of workouts, and workout related resources.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #61
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinaldo.Gomes View Post
"From this extensive study, an incredibly accurate formula was derived"

Are there any of these formulaes which could be applied to women's potential?
Unfortunately no.

With that said, I extensively profile natural female figure and bodybuilders and could probably present some generalized projections, but they would be far from "as" scientific.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #62
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Female Bodybuilders, a simple analysis

Here are 3 of the largest natural females I have profiled in the last several years. (Pictures are in order below)

--Stephanie Foley. 5'4", 128 pound contest weight
--Christy Resendes. 5'5", 132 pounds contest weight
--Kim Landry-Ayres. 5'2", 116 pound contest weight

A 5'5" MALE bodybuilder has the upper ceiling of around 173 pounds ripped contest weight, give or take a hair. Christy Resendes is about 40 pounds under the male.

Also, it becomes somewhat apparent that the "4 pounds of muscle per inch" generalization stays pretty true for women as well.

So, if you want to keep it simple, a female could reach about 40 pounds less than a male at the same height.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	christy_resendes_profile_large.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	3024   Click image for larger version

Name:	stephanie_foley_profile_large.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	3025   Click image for larger version

Name:	kim_landry_ayers_large_profile.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	3026  

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-24-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #63
Reinaldo.Gomes
Reinaldo.Gomes
is hungry for power.
New Brawn
Points: 656, Level: 13 Points: 656, Level: 13 Points: 656, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: about 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: cheap protein powders
My Mood: Daring
Reinaldo.Gomes is new to the forumReinaldo.Gomes is new to the forum

"The body can only hold so much muscle mass naturally."

I was wondering: is it possible to grow your muscle mass unproportionally, in such a way that you overpass your predicted max arm size, at the cost of you legs muscle mass, so that you would still be in with your overall max potential?
Reinaldo.Gomes is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #64
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinaldo.Gomes View Post
"The body can only hold so much muscle mass naturally."

I was wondering: is it possible to grow your muscle mass unproportionally, in such a way that you overpass your predicted max arm size, at the cost of you legs muscle mass, so that you would still be in with your overall max potential?
Generally, no. Natural testosterone levels will limit cell size.

Without steroids, you will have limitations.

So, each muscle has X number of cells. Each cell can get only so big. If you ignore your lower body, for example, your upper body cells still have specific limitations.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-24-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #65
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Exploring natural protein synthesis rates a bit more...

I have stated several times that muscle gain limits are guided by physiology and not performance. You can perform your way into muscle mass, but only so much because of the genetic limitations on protein synthesis rates.

Strength, on the other hand, is not guided by protein synthesis rates per se. Certainly a bigger muscle is probably a stronger muscle, but strength is determined by more than just muscle size. There are many other factors involved such as ligament and tendon strength, bone size, skill level of the lifter, CNS conditioning, on and on, etc.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The short-term increase in protein synthesis that occurs subsequent to resistance training returns to normal after approximately 28 hours in adequately fed male youths.
This reveals that training alone has very little impact on the long term increase in natural protein synthesis rates.

Quote:
A small study performed on young and elderly found that ingestion of 340 grams of lean beef (90 g protein) did not increase muscle protein synthesis any more than ingestion of 113 grams of lean beef (30 g protein). In both groups, muscle protein synthesis increased by 50%.
This reveals that diet does impact protein synthesis rates, but this rate is limited - you simply can't eat more protein and get a faster synthesis rate.

So, there is nothing one lifter can do "more" than another to amplify their protein synthesis rates in the long term. Training increases quickly subside. You could try to train 8 hours per day but it won't matter. Protein synthesis rates are also impacted by cortisol.

Quote:
Cortisol is released in response to stress
Training is stress.

Killing yourself in the gym with high volume, high intensity and high frequency is - obviously - very stressful. This stress causes the body to release cortisol, and cortisol actually works to restrict protein synthesis.

Quote:
Cortisol decreases amino acid uptake by muscle tissue, and inhibits protein synthesis.
What I am getting at here is a dethroning of the notion that you can train your way to uber, steroid-like protein synthesis levels and muscle gains. It doesn't work. Too much stress/cortisol reduces protein synthesis levels.

Certainly there are many natural volume trainees who are as big as moderate volume trainees, so frequent high volume training doesn't appear to be overly catabolic for most, but it certainly isn't creating higher protein synthesis levels nor steroid-level physiques.

As I (and more importantly Casey Butt) have stated, lean body mass levels haven't changed in 60 years. Full body workouts were working. Volume training, while it may work, certainly isn't more effective for naturals.

What volume training does for steroid users is completely different. They require volume, intensity, or a cocktail of both.

Quote:
fat-soluble hormones, anabolic steroids are membrane permeable and influence the nucleus of cells by direct action. The pharmacodynamic action of anabolic steroids begin when the exogenous hormone penetrates the membrane of the target cell and binds to an androgen receptor located in the cytoplasm of that cell. From there, the compound hormone-receptor diffuses into the nucleus, where it either alters the expression of genes[19] or activates processes that send signals to other parts of the cell.[20] Different types of anabolic steroids bind to the androgen receptor with different affinities, depending on their chemical structure.
Muscle cell receptors, over time, become damaged or insensitive to anabolic steroids making future cycles less productive. This is a known phenomenon in the AAS realm.

Intense contractions, or a high volume of contractions, work to stimulate or repair cell receptors, amplifying the impact of the steroid(s).

No binding to receptors equals weak gains.

Very few naturals understand any of this, therefore, they continue to believe that they can train themselves into becoming superhuman, or into having superhuman protein synthesis levels.

I hope this helps some of you better understand.

Just a reminder that this post is about rate of gains.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-24-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #66
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Good post, a lot to think about there.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #67
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Good post, a lot to think about there.
It actually hurt my brain to write that.

Let me know if anything doesn't make sense. I am no Casey Butt, but I am trying...

Natural lifting isn't rocket science. Common sense should be followed. Get in, work hard, add weight, get out. Eat, (rest) take a day off, repeat.

Sure, you can train more frequently. This might work better is you are 18, or training for strength, but in the long term it won't help your cause much. In fact, it might be worse for health because of the punishment factor.

Mileage may vary. Above all else, have fun...and don't drink and lift.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-24-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #68
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It actually hurt my brain to write that.
Hehe, it was a good post. I've got a little background in these things as well, but I haven't really touched on it for 6-7 years now. It's always nice to read stuff that you used to read about all the time, y'know? A little like the philosphy stuff the other day.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #69
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Hehe, it was a good post. I've got a little background in these things as well, but I haven't really touched on it for 6-7 years now. It's always nice to read stuff that you used to read about all the time, y'know? A little like the philosphy stuff the other day.
Absolutely.

I forget more than I remember.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #70
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

That was a long read, but worth it (besides the little back-n-forth).

The only thing I'd like to add...

As you progress, physique gains become less and less and make it more difficult to monitor progress. But progress in the weight being lifted during workouts is easier to track and therefore a good indicator of overall progress. The weight progression slows as you advance, but still moves faster than added muscle.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook