Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts
Default Abaddon's 100 pound drop

MISSION STATEMENT - EARLY FEBRUARY FROM MY LOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

In his fight with Cheick Kongo, Frank Mir weighed in at 264.5 lbs = exactly 120 kgs. I am currently 313 lbs / 142 kgs (down from 148 in June last year) and am the same height as Mir (6 foot 3).

By sticking with the muscle building and diet regimen I have been following - and providing I can further reduce my alcohol consumption - I plan to reach this weight and build by the end of the year... if not smash it even further.

With my ever increasing muscle mass, my metabolism is also increasing. Add to that, training in this heat is having a tangible effect on my stamina. So I have great expectations.

11 months to lose 22 kgs / 48.5 lbs. I can do this.
SO here's the lowdown, fellas.

I presently weigh about 146 kilograms (322 lbs), give or take... probably give.

I was somewhere right next to - if not over - 150 kilograms in April 2010, when I started training again. Around Xmas I was 141-2 kgs, and I kept this going right through March (everyone in my family was born in March, making it Fiesta month on the calendar).

But since then it's crept back up; I weighed 148 about 10 days ago.

I blame Easter a little bit for making me remember my sweet tooth. I can also attribute some of it to water retention caused by the sodium in the tuna I began eating almost daily approx 2 months ago now.

I've been weighing my meals for over a year and recording what I eat each day in my log. It's the closest I've come to actually regulating my intake; recording how much I eat... oh, and in the evenings I try and limit the total net weight of my dinner to <500 grams. More than a pound.

And I've already been given good advice from several sources (some of whom are MABers) about calorie counting. Carl and Big Tim directed me to Fitday, and I used it for several weeks before it became overly finicky (and not all that accurate) and I left it.

What I'd like is a diet plan. The more detail, the better. The only real restrictions are due to allergies:
I cannot have most dairy products, and I've been avoiding peanuts for over 2 months now and am hedging my bets.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Id start slow mate and keep doing what you are doing, but just perhaps drop the carbs in the evening (unless it is the first meal since training). It will reduce overall calories a little and make the protein and fats a larger percentage of what you eat. Plus there wont be any problems with people suggesting food you dont A. like, or B. cant tollerate.

Id just tweak things a little at a time other wise if you change too much, you wont know what is (or isnt) working for you.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,486, Level: 100 Points: 36,486, Level: 100 Points: 36,486, Level: 100
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

You need to draw up a meal plan yourself. Information gathered > information given. If you don't play an active part in designing your eating plan, you won't buy into it and will find plenty of excuses to deviate.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
MC
MC
is plotting World Domination from the Phantom Zone
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
My Mood: Aggressive
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

What if you kept your meal plan as is and just subtracted a few things that totaled 500-700 calories a day?

You can drink milk but not eat most other dairy?

Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Abaddon
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Id start slow mate and keep doing what you are doing, but just perhaps drop the carbs in the evening (unless it is the first meal since training). It will reduce overall calories a little and make the protein and fats a larger percentage of what you eat. Plus there wont be any problems with people suggesting food you dont A. like, or B. cant tollerate.

Id just tweak things a little at a time other wise if you change too much, you wont know what is (or isnt) working for you.

Carl.
I get what you mean Carl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
You need to draw up a meal plan yourself. Information gathered > information given. If you don't play an active part in designing your eating plan, you won't buy into it and will find plenty of excuses to deviate.

LtL
This response relates to both comments, I guess. I am a big fan of order; even though I am busy and sometimes travelling from A to B, I still try and make sure I eat when I'm supposed to - every 2-3 hours.

Because I like every aspect of everything to be in a little box, if left to my own devices I will scrutinise the shit out of my own ideas... and ultimately ignore them, for whatever reason.

Whereas, if I am presented with a thorough outline or explanation, I adhere to it and do not immediately look for changes or copouts...

For instance; my 4 day Shoulder Focus routine would not be so great if it weren't for the firm advice of Carl and other friends. The allocation of deltoid
exercises was a trial and error experiment for me, until Carl put me straight.

Of course I've learned a lot from my friends here, and have come a long way in my studies this year; I know a great deal.

But, as Holmes would say, it is merely elementary.

I need a thorough structure, which can be achieved in one of two ways:
1. A diet plan based on a complete examination of what I eat now but with macros calculated exactly right.
OR
2. A completely new diet with rigid PCF ratios and a set menu of foods I can and cannot eat.

IMO the latter is more likely to work for me.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS

Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Abs...one thing I will suggest is to make sure you structure your meal plan based around your eating habits. If you are a big night eater (or whatever the case may be), try not to fight that but work with it...so on and so forth.

The plan needs to work with you, not against you.

My suggestion for non-competitors is always to keep it as simple as possible. Get your protein in. Make sure you are eating 20-30% of your cals from fat, eating a good post-workout meal. Eat more of your carbs earlier in the day if possible.

Since you haven't cut in a while I would probably start around 2500 cals for 2 weeks and see what happens. Get your protein in, some fruits and veggies and carbs. If you need a sweet treat or whatever to get by, do so. Work it into the plan. This might drive some of the bodybuilders crazy but you are not a bodybuilder.

Long term weight loss is about survival and putting together a plan that works for you. Remember that during the first week you will lose weight at a much faster rate as your blood sugar levels regulate and adjust, and as your body flushes out the extra water is may be holding for digestion purposes/whatever. Week 2 on a diet is usually a better indicator of how fast you are going to lose weight at a given calorie range.

Know that if you do make mistakes, muscle memory is your friend.

For bodybuilders the optimal weight loss range is 1.5-2 pounds per week. As a big guy, I personally have lost weight more rapidly than that without paying much of a penalty. Mileage may vary.

If you want an aggressive plan, things like the Warrior Diet worked well for me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-17-2011 at 10:58 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Abaddon
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
What if you kept your meal plan as is and just subtracted a few things that totaled 500-700 calories a day?

You can drink milk but not eat most other dairy?
I can only drink A2 milk, Nard. I found it through trial and error; it was put on the market in Australia a couple of years ago and, while costs about 50% more per litre than fuel, I cannot do without it!

All other dairy is I can have no more than 70-100 grams/mls of it or I suffer the consequences.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS

Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Abaddon
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Abs...one thing I will suggest is to make sure you structure your meal plan based around your eating habits.

The plan needs to work with you, not against you.

Get your protein in. Make sure you are eating 20-30% of your cals from fat, eating a good post-workout meal. Eat more of your carbs earlier in the day if possible.

Since you haven't cut in a while I would probably start around 2500 cals for 2 weeks and see what happens. Get your protein in, some fruits and veggies and carbs. If you need a sweet treat or whatever to get by, do so. Work it into the plan. This might drive some of the bodybuilders crazy but you are not a bodybuilder.

If you want an aggressive plan, things like the Warrior Diet worked well for me.
Thanks Steve - I've collected the best bits and am reading up on the warrior diet right now.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS

Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You know I want to see you succeed. Get after this!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,282, Level: 96 Points: 26,282, Level: 96 Points: 26,282, Level: 96
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Great advice has already been given Abs. Your maintenance, on paper is about 4800 calories ( simple formula weight in lbs x 15). I would recommend that you not use that as a foundation, it is an approximation. Log your food for a few weeks, tracking calories, and try to determine how much, or little, you can eat without gaining or loosing. This is a starting point. Once found, subtract 500 cals from it and monitor for two more weeks. If there is not loss, subtract another 250. This is a process of trial and error. None of us can tell you specifically what to do or how to do, but do know... You have a huge corp of cheerleaders. DO This ABS!

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook