Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,802, Level: 100 Points: 36,802, Level: 100 Points: 36,802, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Default Interesting quote on bodyfat for powerlifting

Taken from Chris Duffin's log. He cut from a large 250ish to 198 and pulled this two years ago:

Since then he's had pec' surgery and has suffered from other injuries. Here's the quote:

Quote:
DECISIONS, DECISIONS
Two of coaches at my gym pulled me aside tonight and told me I’m stupid for attempting to compete in the 242’s this year and that staying in the single digit BF is killing my stability on squats and leading to some of my injuries…such as my frequent ab/hip flexors pulls. I’ve been working with these two for 10 years and I respect them a lot. I still plan on doing the 242’s for this august, but that’s probably it. Mind you they called me out BEFORE the cramping tonight LOL. They are right however…I was approaching close to a 1000lb gym squat when I had a thicker waist and was NOWHERE near the level of strength I have been at the last few years. I have struggled with the squat ever since dropping the lbs from a balance and core issues, and I struggle with weights that used to be easy…when I was way weaker than now.
I have noticed similar things as I get bigger: I am feeling much more stable on bench AND squat. Powerbelly FTW

LtL

Last edited by LtL; 05-11-2011 at 04:36 PM.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,802, Level: 100 Points: 36,802, Level: 100 Points: 36,802, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Before and after from his weightloss

LtL

Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Unless you are so fat that your belly literally sticks out far enough for you to rest your upper body on the tops of your knees as you squat, I see no validation to the argument for higher bodyfat aiding in a lift..

Of course, at that fat level you are in serious danger of say...collapsing suddenly from a heart attack.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Aurik
Aurik
aka Gimpy the 8th dwarf
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
My Mood: Paranoid
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Well, it's also a fact that given a constant frame size and height, you can support more muscle mass at a higher bf%.
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
I see no validation to the argument for higher bodyfat aiding in a lift..
Helps me. A lot of other prominent lifters believe so as well. Here is a good article to start with on girth and leverage:

Body Weight, Leverage, and Lifting for Strength

Quote:
Dave Tate has similarly remarked, “There’s always a height to weight ratio when it comes to strength. Regardless of what anyone says, if you're 6’2” and weigh 165 lbs, you might pull okay, but you’re not going to squat worth a shit. You don’t have the thickness or the torso. I’m not saying you have to have a fat torso, but a light lifter like that won’t have the torso support for leverage.”
I agree with what Dave is saying. I see a lot of thin deadlifters, but not a lot of thin lifters with big squat numbers.

Not sure if you know this, but folks that are heavier than normal live longer. Here's a summary of the study(s):

Quote:
Compared to people who fell into the normal-weight category:

* Those classified as underweight were 73% more likely to die.
* Those classified as extremely obese with BMI of 35 or greater were 36% more likely to die.
* Those classified as obese with BMI 30-34.9 had about the same risk of death.
* Those classified as overweight with BMI 25-29.9 were 17% less likely to die.
Not to derail this thread, but a BMI of 25-29.9 is considered overweight. A BMI of 30+ is considered obese.

Someone with a 34 BMI will live longer than someone underweight. Pass the Cheetos and let's squat.

At 160 pounds and shredded (which I was when exiting the military), I had a 17% greater chance of dying then when I weigh a portly 205. Even at 240 I have the same risk of death as those considered normal weight.

Chris Duffin made a solid assessment. One that aligns with most conventional thought on the topic. In addition, the Chris Duffin on the left will probably live longer.

Lastly, most in the BMI studies don't have extra muscle mass. So it's conceivable that even at 260-270 that I will live just as long as I would at an "average" weight if I had no extra muscle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-11-2011 at 09:28 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
.... Pass the Cheetos and let's squat...

Top 5 best advice posts, all time. SRS.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

I would submit that there is a such thing as a healthy lean weight for a person's height. 6'2" and 165lbs is not this weight, obviously.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
I would submit that there is a such thing as a healthy lean weight for a person's height. 6'2" and 165lbs is not this weight, obviously.
Tate's comment was hyperbole.

The point is still valid, and accepted by most sources I am aware of.

Also, even at a normal bodyweight they wouldn't have an impressive squat compared to a larger girth squatter of the same height.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-11-2011 at 09:36 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 21,132, Level: 91 Points: 21,132, Level: 91 Points: 21,132, Level: 91
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

It is not the fat soft stomach they are looking for. It is the actual mass of the gut. It is just like any other muscle, the more muscle that is packed on the stronger it will be. I have found that when my stomach is not strong enough, I shake in the squat. I will never have a 6pack, but I am not soft either. People mistake abs for strength, and that is not normally the case.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn

That's a good point J.

LtL

Share with Facebook