Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
Walking is my favorite form of cardio.
Mine too. It helped that it was a gorgeous day. Low to mid 70's. No humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Subscribed! Great start on the log!
Subscribed? SUBSCRIBED?
I am truly humbled. Thank you.

Thursday, 9/3/09

Gads! What a zoo. I absolutely hate the gym around 4:30 or 5:00. Everybody's there. Meatheads too. High School kids. Old farts. Fat broads. I usually lift mid-evening. After dinner. The place is much quieter. I rarely have to wait for equipment. As such it took me about 45 minutes to do a normal 25 minute workout. I busted my ass on every lift - literally. There's a crack in it. I've never felt so trashed after a leg workout. I'm gonna dread tomorrow...and the next day...and the next day...

LEGS

Work sets only. To 10 or utter failure, whichever comes first.

Smith Squat (275x5/3/2) - I had planned on doing 225, but I got eight easy reps at that weight. So I slapped on a couple of quarters. By the way, I know that the Smith Machine actually deducts some weight from the lift. On the machine at my gym, the bar only weighs 15 pounds. It hurts my head too much to do that math. I just pretend that the weights are normal. All this is about to go out the window soon, because they are getting a new Smith to replace this one.

Leg Press (550x10) - I gutted out the last two reps. I was working in with some dude, and I didn't want to do a rest/pause and have him start stripping or adding weight. I keep my feet fairly close together and lower on the deck on this one. Next leg workout I do what I call a Sumo Leg Press (feet wider apart ond toes nearly off the deck).

Leg Extension (130x6/2/2) - This is about the only exercise that I do a true lockout on. I really cooked them this time. I could hardly walk, but I had to, because my next exercise was...

Smith SLDL (300x10) - Alright, I have to admit. I strapped in for this one. Is that wrong? When I got through, I felt that my hams and back had worked, but could have finished the set. I guess I would rather not have my grip be the limiting factor on a leg exercise. If I wouldn't have used the straps, I might have had to rest/pause, but not because of failure in the target muscle. What say you? I welcome comments on this.

Prone Leg Curl (100x9) - I just couldn't "squeeze" the tenth rep. Not even after a brief rest. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

My weights were way too light on almost everything. Truth be told, the last time I performed THIS PARTICULAR workout was a couple of weeks ago. At that time I was just coming off a lay off and was using my previous weights but not going to failure. I need to fine tune my weight selection, but not get too carried away.

I don't know about my next workout (Back). Mrs. valsalva and I are taking the kids on our first ever family vacation this weekend. I'll take my gym bag along just in case there is a Gold's or something nearby. But I'm not going to force the issue. If it happens, it happens. The trouble is my gym is closed on Monday so I might not be able to get another one in until Tuesday. We'll see.

This might be the big "sign off" until we get back. I don't know if there's any free internet access.

Peace,

big val
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #22
bwys61
bwys61
can i get a status
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
My Mood: Amused
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

nice workout
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2009, 06:49 AM   #23
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Gads! What a zoo. I absolutely hate the gym around 4:30 or 5:00. Everybody's there. Meatheads too. High School kids. Old farts. Fat broads. I usually lift mid-evening. After dinner. The place is much quieter. I rarely have to wait for equipment. As such it took me about 45 minutes to do a normal 25 minute workout. I busted my ass on every lift - literally. There's a crack in it. I've never felt so trashed after a leg workout. I'm gonna dread tomorrow...and the next day...and the next day...
I remember those good old days. I used to attend a YMCA gym, and they had about 5 people waiting on every piece of equipment.

We have to lobby for you to put in a home gym.

And good leg workout. I have no problem with using straps. Especially if you're going for muscle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #24
rippednmichigan
rippednmichigan
robert@flexfitnessandnutrition.com
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
My Mood: Daring
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

I busted my ass on every lift - literally. There's a crack in it.

When I read this I laughed out load, thank you sir.

Good workout buddy!
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #25
bwys61
bwys61
can i get a status
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
My Mood: Amused
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

very good crack busters
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #26
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Got back from the valsalva family vacation yesterday. Spending a couple of days with the kids before they start school on Thursday. I'll post some retro enteries.

Saturday, 9/5/09

Cardio: The hotel we stayed had a pretty fair fitness center. I hopped on the treadmill after a huge day at the zoo. 25 minutes. Walking at various inclines.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #27
big valsalva
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
We have to lobby for you to put in a home gym.
The lobbying has been done, preliminary approval has been granted, and territory has been staked. Now, just to find the money.

I think I said earlier that I would take my gym bag with me on vacation "just in case there was a Gold's or something close by." Well, we pulled into the hotel Friday night, and what to my surprize, but there was a YMCA right across the lot. How fortunate. I went there Sunday evening after a very long day at the mall and a "light" dinner at IHOP.

Sunday, 9/6/09

Back Attack
Work sets listed

Pendlay Rows (145x7/1) - I have a feeling that deadlifts and rows are frowned upon at this gym. My first clue? No space set aside for it. My second clue? Big sign on the wall: NO CHALK ALLOWED. I did the rows as quietly as I could, swallowed my pride and moved on.

Unilateral Cable Row L: (120x10) R: (120X10) - Too light. Need to move up.

High Row (150x10) - Time to look for an alternate on this one. I pinned the stack

Cable Pullovers (120x7) - My target weight was 90, but I ripped off 10 easy reps, so I put on more weight. Going to need to find an alternative soon here too.

Reverse Incline Fly (20x3/1) - Not sure about this exercise at all. I think I have some mobility issues. Maybe I'm just weak. My target was 12 puonders, but I ripped off 10 reps easily enough to warrant more weight, but I don't know. I'm just not feeling the groove.

dc hanging back stretch - about 30 sedonds

My visit to the gym was an interesting experience. I'm glad I could get a workout in for free. They had a fairly nice facility. Some machines I hadn't seen before (Squat Machine - which I tried out of curiosity), and a Smith Machine similar in design to the one my YMCA is getting. What I didn't like was the sterile environment. Nobody talked to anybody (could be a good thing, but makes it difficult to ask for a spot), and no music. I've grown accustomed to metal blaring when I lift.

After I got back to the hotel, I went into the fitness center and experimented with crossover rows. Me likey! I think I'll be subbing them in soon.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #28
big valsalva
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Monday, 9/7/09

Cardio: Evening walk around the neighborhood and park - 27 minutes.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #29
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Nice workouts.

I noticed you mentioned the gym didn't have any music. That is flat out insanity. I'd hate to squat in that environment

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #30
big valsalva
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
I noticed you mentioned the gym didn't have any music. That is flat out insanity. I'd hate to squat in that environment
It was like lifting in a morgue. Nobody grunted. Nobody farted. No one would look you in the eye... Oh well, I was grateful for the chance to get the lift in, even though it was a bit hurried and I had just stuffed myself with four New York Cheesecake Pancakes (really, it was the lightest thing on the IHOP menu). So it goes with vacation eating and workouts.

Tuesday, 9/8/09

Up to now I have performed and listed my 'A' Routine workouts. Here starts my 'B' Routine workouts.

Work sets listed

Chest/Biceps

Smith Flat BP (185x7/2/1)

Cybex Incline Press (130x5/1)

Cybex Fly (70x10) - Very easy set, but I rested too much between the Incline Press and this exercise. I had to wait for the machine, then an old buddy started talking to me.

dc pec stretch - 20# about 35 seconds.

EZ Bar Preacher Curl (65x6/2) - I start these from the contracted position, so a rep in "down-up."

Seated DB Curl (20x7/2/1) - Kept elbows in and back. Almost like a Gironda body drag curl.

Cable Curl (70x4/1/1) - Last couple of reps were real, genuine snot producers.

dc bicep stretch - about 60 seconds.

Notes: I like chest/bicep day. I knew I would. It is easy for me to see and feel the muscles work. Not like the mystery which is back day. I just don't feel the groove on some of the back exercises. I worked legs last Thursday. I felt a little sore on Friday. I was nearly incapacitated on Saturday and Sunday. The extreme DOMS is something I didn't experience when I was squatting three times a week. I'll give it a couple of more rotations. If things don't improve, I may have to introduce an intermediate leg workout.

Very tired. I need to make my football picks and get to bed.

big val

Share with Facebook