Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,138, Level: 69 Points: 11,138, Level: 69 Points: 11,138, Level: 69
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
I got a 5 pound tub of casein for $40. So it isn't that bad.
No, that's not bad at all.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Just have to watch for the deals.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #13
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
My only nutrition change is adding a whole bunch of whole milk and cheese. My changes in training have been adding super sets to my workouts. Maybe all 3 are working together to jump start some gains.
^ I reckon there is a lot to say about this particular change to your diet alone, Andy.

There's been heaps - heaps! - of debate and conjecture about whey, whey vs casein and whey with water/whey with milk. You have stated that you are ingesting your casein with milk - but were you taking your whey with milk too?

My basic understanding here is that casein is slow digesting, and whey is fast digesting. BUT many people assert that whey in fact absorbs too fast to be properly utilised by the muscles when taken with water; in fact, around half of it apparently absorbed by the liver when taken this way.

Taking your whey with milk provides casein - which is the main variety of protein in milk! - and fats, which both help to slow down the whey absorption.

The natural sugars, fats etc also give the liver something to process, and mean more protein reaches the muscles; it's the same principle behind people taking dextrose with their PWO protein shake, if I am not mistaken.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Caseiin protein is the deal of the day is anyone cares:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...tml#post133028

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
Aurik
Aurik
aka Gimpy the 8th dwarf
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
My Mood: Paranoid
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

MMMM... casein. Personally I love ON Gold Casein -- mixes awesome with milk and thickens to give you the consistency of a milkshake. Nom nom nom.
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
^ I reckon there is a lot to say about this particular change to your diet alone, Andy.

There's been heaps - heaps! - of debate and conjecture about whey, whey vs casein and whey with water/whey with milk. You have stated that you are ingesting your casein with milk - but were you taking your whey with milk too?

My basic understanding here is that casein is slow digesting, and whey is fast digesting. BUT many people assert that whey in fact absorbs too fast to be properly utilised by the muscles when taken with water; in fact, around half of it apparently absorbed by the liver when taken this way.

Taking your whey with milk provides casein - which is the main variety of protein in milk! - and fats, which both help to slow down the whey absorption.

The natural sugars, fats etc also give the liver something to process, and mean more protein reaches the muscles; it's the same principle behind people taking dextrose with their PWO protein shake, if I am not mistaken.
I started drinking my PWO shake mixed in whole milk at the very end of my tub of whey protein (probably a month ago). Maybe I am looking too much in to how the casein protein has helped. But I do definitely think it has been a big part of my gains. I wasn't even thinking of my nutrition at first either, I think it is also playing a big role. Maybe the nutrition, training, and program are all combining to give me good results. Maybe I'm just getting lucky.

I think I will try what Rich suggested and give whey another try and pay close attention to any gains made to see if they are equal to or less than the gains I have made using my casein protein.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out

Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurik View Post
MMMM... casein. Personally I love ON Gold Casein -- mixes awesome with milk and thickens to give you the consistency of a milkshake. Nom nom nom.
This is what I'm using right now. Makes me think I am drinking a melted milk shake and having a cheat meal, but I'm not.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
Osfrch
Osfrch
has no status.
Banned
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Osfrch is off to a bad start

My point of view Casein proteins are pH sensitive and gel in the acidic environment of the stomach.Casein Protein protecting muscles and anti-catabolic
10 g of BCAAs, Glutamine, and Glutamine Precursors per Scoop
24 g of Highly Anti-Catabolic MICELLAR CASEIN
AMINOGEN Enhanced
Osfrch is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #19
Gene
Gene
I'm a BARBARIAN
Brawn
Points: 1,654, Level: 23 Points: 1,654, Level: 23 Points: 1,654, Level: 23
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4yrs in chair competing
My Mood: Inspired
Gene has made some quality postsGene has made some quality postsGene has made some quality postsGene has made some quality postsGene has made some quality postsGene has made some quality posts

Quote:
This is what I'm using right now. Makes me think I am drinking a melted milk shake and having a cheat meal, but I'm not.
Same here!!

Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #20
MAiNeIAC
MAiNeIAC
MANsports Rep
New Brawn
Points: 283, Level: 5 Points: 283, Level: 5 Points: 283, Level: 5
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

MAiNeIAC has made some good postsMAiNeIAC has made some good postsMAiNeIAC has made some good postsMAiNeIAC has made some good postsMAiNeIAC has made some good postsMAiNeIAC has made some good postsMAiNeIAC has made some good postsMAiNeIAC has made some good postsMAiNeIAC has made some good posts

I think casein is seriously under rated. it is very good. everyone is all about speed speed speed. whey iso or hydrolisate. free form or "uncoupled" aminos. i'll tell ya. casein, esp micellar & good ol peptide bonded aminos are thge sh*t. think, food is the ultimate supp. food takes TIME to digest. its this digestion process when your body extracts all the nutrients, & the essential chemical reactions occur to spur growth.
MAiNeIAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook