Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Don't Ever Give Up

This post is about win.

Post images, videos or links to articles or stories that you consider win sauce.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-30-2011 at 09:59 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Juanita Wrinkle Body Transformation | Muscle & Strength

Juanita Wrinkle lost 38 pounds in under 4 months and completely changed her appearance.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

From an article by John Vella
Quote:
I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 17 years old. At the time I was deathly ill. I weighed in at a whopping 82 pounds. My skin looked awful, and I barely had the energy to go up a flight of steps. The cramps were constant and crippling. Trips to the hospital were just a part of life. It wasn't pretty! 2 surgeries and dozens of lengthy hospital stays later (plus slews of harsh medications that had their own set of lovely symptoms), let's fast forward to today. I consider myself totally cured. I am on no medication whatsoever, and I am 160 pounds, and preparing to compete in my first bodybuilding contest. I have also been dabbling with powerlifting with a 495 pound deadlift, and a 315 pound bench press, so that too may be on the horizon should I decide to seriously pursue it! I have also participated extensively in Submission Grappling & Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. (Not exactly the world's most gentle pastimes) I say this humbly by the way! I say it not to boast, but to inspire anyone who walks in the shoes I did when I was a teenager.

Obviously the nutritional aspect of my healing from Crohn's is paramount, but It is a massive topic for another discussion.

What I did not realize at the time when I was ill were the mental and emotional roots of Crohn's!

There are a few key factors I would like to bring forward. The first one is our mental attitude when dealing with this challenge. For the longest time, I would consider myself the victim for obvious reasons. "Why me? I am just a 17 year old kid trying to figure out life as a young adult! This is daunting enough without any added challenges piled on!" We develop a victim mentality mindset. This will also be encouraged by most of our loved ones as well as our health practitioners. They are simply trying to be supportive, but it gives us an easy fall-back position to carry on with the same "I'm defeated attitude".

One day back when I was 17, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and made a decision. I said to myself "No longer is it OK for me to just get by. I am getting big and strong, no matter what!!!" For me the fascination with power and strength was embedded in me from the time I was 9 years old watching cartoons like He-Man, wrestlers like Hulk Hogan & movies like Conan the Destroyer. So I made a decision at 17 years old, that I was going to somehow get big and strong. No ands, ifs, or buts. Crohn's or no Crohn's, It was going to happen!!! I'll never forget the day I told this to one of my doctors. He said "Oh John, you may be able to get in decent shape, but you'll never get really big" I simply used this as more fuel. He wasn't trying to put me down; it was simply too big a stretch for his paradigm to accept! So in summary, you MUST believe in yourself and change the way you view yourself! You DO NOT have to be identified by your Crohn's. Screw that!!!! Set a goal regarding your physical body that gets your juices flowing. Visualize the body you desire to be in, and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Go through life with THAT attitude all the time, and magic will start to happen in your life. It truly is empowering, and the only limits we have are the ones we place on ourselves!

The second factor I have found from my experience speaking with other Crohn's patients, is they tend to internalize anger. I was always the type of kid who was really nice to everyone, but also never knew how to say "no" and be assertive. I don't know why, but it always has been a challenge. It still is today!
This can often lead to us becoming silently offended when dealing with assertive people. We have a hard time standing up for what we want. What happens then is us internalizing anger. It is a common theme I have had, and that I have realized many other Crohn's patients have. To change our behaviour overnight is simply not realistic. We have lived our lives by certain themes, and I am a huge believer in those themes manifesting themselves in physical form.

I hope this was helpful to anyone reading this. Remember, you have the power to transform your health. Take command of your life, make that decision, and never ever give up!

-John
from The Gutsy Generation: John Vella's (Bodybuilder) Inspiring Story!

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Speaking of win sauce, our very own Geno:

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Aurik
Aurik
aka Gimpy the 8th dwarf
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
My Mood: Paranoid
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Speaking of win sauce, our very own Geno:

YouTube - Wheelchair Bodybuilder Gene Bergeron doing lats
Holy crap, Gene! Are you trying to make our heads explode? You know that some of us guys here can't (or aren't willing) to count beyond 5 reps, 10 at the absolute most! Yet you go and smash that weight for 20+ reps... insane!
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Share with Facebook