Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts
Default THOR the movie: Lead actor either an idiot or on steroids...

This fella is Chris Hemsworth, an Australian actor whose career info can be found here:

He has very recently been interviewed regarding his title role in the blockbuster THOR, and a comment he made yesterday has caught my ire. I've paraphrased below:

"I read the comic... the first thing I noticed was the size of the character... so I was in the gym 6-7 days a week [in preparation] for the role"

This is a perfect example of the kind of bullshit I cannot stand anymore.

The guy has clearly been curling and crunching for some years, and maybe even more than that. I have no idea exactly how much or how little he does in the gym, but I am reckoning he has close to 0% of the training knowledge possessed by 90% of the MAB community. And that is sad, because he talks shit to millions of people who wouldn't know any better.

I don't need to spell out to MABers exactly why this statement is ridiculous. And I don't think I need to name drop on other Hollywood stars who are also guilty of using steroids to attain the muscularity of the character they are going to play by the the time filming starts.

Also, I do not believe these people (actors/celebrities/etc) should be looked up to; they are not idols, they do not live lives we should try to emulate. It is a shame that so many of the 'undiscovered masses' which make up our society are listening to these people - people who, if anything, are even more ****ed up than plain old regular people; only they have been given money for being 'artistic'.

It just irks me that the HFW of 50+ years of true bodybuilding knowledge lies, submerged and hidden under the constant tsunami of bb.com-esque, steroid-based training structures and broscience ****ing misinformation propagated - in this case - by a fellow Australian.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100
Activity: 73% Activity: 73% Activity: 73%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
so I was in the gym 6-7 days a week [in preparation] for the role
This will help the young guys.

Gee, that's what I need to do to look like Thor!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,468, Level: 100 Points: 36,468, Level: 100 Points: 36,468, Level: 100
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'll call it:

"Juiced and clueless"

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

To be fair though he has also gone on record saying that all he did out side of filming and training was to eat and sleep. He reckons he put on 20lbs of muscle (dont know the time scale) and kept bf low by carb manipulation and training with compound exercises....

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Abaddon
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
To be fair though he has also gone on record saying that all he did out side of filming and training was to eat and sleep. He reckons he put on 20lbs of muscle (dont know the time scale) and kept bf low by carb manipulation and training with compound exercises....

Carl.
It's late for me, so I am not gonna really investigate this right now... but I have not heard the above before, and am still calling Hollywood weirdness on the whole scenario...

All flames and other commentary are welcome brothers: is this Aussie a true natural; with good genetics and generous funding... making a 6-7 day hypertrophy routine work because it was all he did, besides eating, sleeping and filming?

In that case, I suppose it is believable...

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Here are more pics:

He certainly could be natural. My dig was more at the army of volume trainers his statement will make.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-19-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
It's late for me, so I am not gonna really investigate this right now... but I have not heard the above before, and am still calling Hollywood weirdness on the whole scenario...

All flames and other commentary are welcome brothers: is this Aussie a true natural; with good genetics and generous funding... making a 6-7 day hypertrophy routine work because it was all he did, besides eating, sleeping and filming?

In that case, I suppose it is believable...
Well it could be PR nonsense too...the training 6-7 day stuff. It is Hollywood, after all.

Looking at the last 2 pics I posted he looks like most mid-level natural bodybuilders. We don't often see them with their shirts off, and at a higher than contest bodyfat. But that's about what they look like.

He does have a huge upper chest which is a genetic gift. Few have it, and it's not a product of roids.

I am not discounting roids. If I had to bet I would say he used a cycle and had a top "trainer" help him.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I think to make a statement that you were in the gym 6-7 days per week IS stupid, especially when there are an army of kids reading that thinking thats all they need to do to get hoooge.

I am just playing Devils advocate here however, it could have been taken out of context. He is not very old (27 i think), he had all the time in the world to train (with a PT), eat (with a nutritionist) and perhaps 2 of the 6 days he was training were light conditioning and/or some light cardio. He was already in OK shape, possibly quite athletic, obviously took care of himself due to his occupation etc etc...

With all that in mind then 20lbs (over perhaps 6 months), which is probably exagerated slightly anyway, is not that unbelievable. Perhaps he did have some assistance (PH's, test boosters, whatever), but i stil think he could well be natural. He doesnt have the 'out of proportion look' or 'vasularity' that steroid users get, nor does he look bloated.

I honestly dont know, but he looks pretty good.

I do think though that more attention should be paid by the actors that make comments to the media with the hope of sounding macho or badass that they worked out 6-7 or more time per week as it does set a bad example and it certainly not gonna be productive for 99% of the population that cant just rest and eat for the remainder of their day. Unfortunately though the media will report whatthey want and what they think will sell newspapers/magazines and telling everyone that he 'didnt' workout like a beast to get the body he has is hardly gonna sell many copies as opposed to telling everyone how marvelous and badass he is and having a workout supplement with his 'exact' 6 day split in it. If you opened the supplement and it had a 3 day full body with 3 days of LiT cardio and FOOD as the only supplement how is that gonna look attractive and/or keep the sponsers of the magazine happy ??

/soapbox (part 2)

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

if a studio paid for my world renowned trainer and my personal chef and all i had to do for months on end was train, eat, and sleep..you bet your ass id make lots of gains without roids.
what he did isnt necessarily impossible. just pointing that out. and hitting the gym 6-7 days a week could be anything from weights, cardio, stretching, all kinds of things.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Abaddon
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
I do think though that more attention should be paid by the actors that make comments to the media with the hope of sounding macho or badass that they worked out 6-7 or more time per week as it does set a bad example and it certainly not gonna be productive for 99% of the population that cant just rest and eat for the remainder of their day. Unfortunately though the media will report whatthey want and what they think will sell newspapers/magazines and telling everyone that he 'didnt' workout like a beast to get the body he has is hardly gonna sell many copies as opposed to telling everyone how marvelous and badass he is and having a workout supplement with his 'exact' 6 day split in it. If you opened the supplement and it had a 3 day full body with 3 days of LiT cardio and FOOD as the only supplement how is that gonna look attractive and/or keep the sponsers of the magazine happy ??

/soapbox (part 2)

Carl.
^Yep. I must say, it may have been that I heard only part of a longer interview, but it happened while he stood on a red carpet for whatever, wherever, and it really did sound like he was advocating more days in the gym = more gains...

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS