Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default best exercise for upper body strength ?

what would be the better exercise for upper body strength the bench press or the overhead press ?
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
My Mood: Aggressive
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

I do love the benchpress, But i would have to say standing oh press, Because you are standing instead of laying and being supported by a bench. Put it this way, I can bench press 225 which is nothin to brag about but i can only standing oh press about 115x5
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether its lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Hes slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

For overall upper body strength...tough question to answer.

If we are considering functional strength, then I would have to go with two lifts...a press and row variation. Both are helpful in MMA, football and any number of sports.

If we are talking pure raw strength and power it's the deadlift. No other movement builds overall upper body strength better. If you can deadlift a ton, you will have some amazing strength in most upper body muscle groups.

I don't know if many remember this old school program, but the deadlift and dips workout is an effective combination.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
For overall upper body strength...tough question to answer.

If we are considering functional strength, then I would have to go with two lifts...a press and row variation. Both are helpful in MMA, football and any number of sports.

If we are talking pure raw strength and power it's the deadlift. No other movement builds overall upper body strength better. If you can deadlift a ton, you will have some amazing strength in most upper body muscle groups.

I don't know if many remember this old school program, but the deadlift and dips workout is an effective combination.
Deadlift and dips sound badass, theres not a muscle being missed due to deadlift hittin so many
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether its lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Hes slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

out of the two posted i would say the OH Press would be my choice, but for overall raw strength then it has got to be the deadlift. You cant hold on to 100, 200, 300kg's without serious strength in ALL muscles.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
BigTallOx
BigTallOx
MOTIVATED!
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
what would be the better exercise for upper body strength the bench press or the overhead press ?
Out of these two, I'd have to say the overhead press. If you included a clean with the press, then I'd definitely choose that. ( In strongman it doesn't matter if you can press it, if you can't clean it first. IMHO the clean usually takes more strength, and definitely more technique and skill, at least for me ).

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
Nat60s
Nat60s
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Anything for thechest
Fav Supp: NA
Nat60s is off to a bad start

You might still want to keep in mind bodyweight exercises. Its great to have strongman strength, but when you cannot handle your own body weight, it can get embarrassing.
Nat60s is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Relentl3ss
Relentl3ss
has no status.
Banned

Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss

Im going to be different and go with the bench press. I seem to get more of a burn in the upper body from the bench press in the chest tri's and slightly in the shoulders. Nothing compares to the burn you get in the shoulders from OH pressing though.
Relentl3ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
ILoveLifting
ILoveLifting
rescues people from wind and hail
Strength Fiend
Max Brawn
Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: New York Strips and V8
My Mood: Busy
ILoveLifting is off to a bad start

After recently learning proper technique If I had to choose between the two upper body movements it would be the bench press, without a doubt. BP is much more of a fullbody movement requiring the use of the legs to a much higher degree. Just getting into my setup and holding it is a better workout than standing and lifting weight over head.
ILoveLifting is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
MMA Max
MMA Max
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat60s View Post
You might still want to keep in mind bodyweight exercises. Its great to have strongman strength, but when you cannot handle your own body weight, it can get embarrassing.
God damn word up!!!!! I see so many massive dudes who cant do one damn real pull up, One real dip or even 10 push ups..

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook