Brawn
Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: on and off 8 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
My Mood: Inspired
BigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality posts
Default Big Papa Protein's Training Log and occasional rant

Hey everybody, This thread will be my new squawk box for the future. I made the title more open ended this time so hopefully I will not have to close it out in the future when/if I change programs.

Well I'm off to work, but updates are soon to follow!

Follow me on IG: @bigpapaprotein

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”
-Jerry Rice
BigPapaProtein is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
BigPapaProtein
BigPapaProtein
almost ready to move to Vegas
Brawn

BigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality postsBigPapaProtein has made some quality posts

Ok so first things first. I went to the gym on saturday to try and get an idea of where my max is for each of the big three lifts. First I did deadlifts and they were feeling pretty good. As 6 or 7 of you know, I am coming off of a GVT program and there were no deadlifts in it. So this was the first time I had done them in about 8 weeks. Even though it had been awhile, they felt really good. The most I had ever pulled off the ground before was 325x4. I warmed up with 135 and quickly got myself up to doing 345x2 (yessir thats a PR for me right there), I tried 365 after that as way to capitalize on my adrenaline, but it did not workout so well. Since My wife had been waiting patiently for her turn I decided to call it good on deadlifts at 345.

Next, her and I did squats. For those of you who are not aware, when I first started lifting in '06 it was all about getting a 1st class PFT score ( http://www.military.com/military-fit...smc-pft-charts and http://www.military.com/military-fit...l-fitness-test)
So since I already ran between a 22:30 and 23:00 3mile, it was all about getting those pull-ups bc everyone knows they are the moneymaker (I came in doing about 4-6 and got out doing 16-17) so to get back to my original point, I don't think I ever did a squat until about 3 years into lifting, and it was more like a half-squat at that so this is my achillies heel for sure. To save you some time, I ended up maxing out at 255.

Last, We did bench and I maxed out at 245. So yes there is only a 10lbs difference between my squat and bench BUT... as early as this February my bench was about 225 and my squat was about 185. So I've been busting my tail (pun kind of intended) to get my lower body up to speed with my upper.

As for programming, my wife and I went through a lot of articles and forum threads and decided to stick to this http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...ng-system.html. I dont know who wrote it but he seems legit

Ok so quick recap, changing programs, 255/245/345=845 as of June 14th. If anyones is interested, my wife was going beast mode compared to me and got 155/95/195=445.

That's all for now so thanks for reading!

BPP

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”
-Jerry Rice

Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
BigPapaProtein
BigPapaProtein
Brawn

Alrighty, so the first day was squat day and I did this back on the 15th. Based on my max of 255 I did 75%x5, 80%x5,85%x5 which looked like this...

Squat: 190x5, 205x5, 215x5

From here I moved into some assistance work and was kind playing it by ear. So this is what I came up with...

Seated Leg press- 255 4x15. I really concentrated on lowering the sled as low as possible.

Seated leg curls- 90 4x15, this was a new machine for me and it was bollocks.

Seated calf-raises- 135 4x15

Overall I think I took it a little easy on the weight for my assistance work so next time around I'll be doing big boy weight for sure.

Thanks for reading,

BPP

-Jerry Rice

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
BigPapaProtein
BigPapaProtein
Brawn

Hey everyone! Sorry I fell behind this last week on updating this log. I will promise to stay on top of it in the future.

I honestly don't think I could go back right now and write a post for each workout soooo, take my word on it, it went well. I have also started to spend some time everyday tracking my macros in an attempt to "dial-in" my diet a bit.

Really that is all I have right now which kinda makes me feel like I'm boring but oh well. My life right now is work,lift,eat, and repeat... and its actually pretty nice!

See ya,

BPP

-Jerry Rice

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
BigPapaProtein
BigPapaProtein
Brawn

Default My cardio

Hey everyone, no workout to report on yet, but today is DL day! I did want to add to this log a disclaimer about the cardio that I do. For starters, I bike to work everyday (that I work,so 5 a week) which adds up to roughly 9 miles round trip. I also like to run the trails that I have right outside my house at least twice a week. These runs are usually between 2 and 4 miles. In the past I have never added any of my cardio to the log but recently I have decided that I really should. Well I'm off to work, I'll post later after I deadlift myself into BEAST MODE!

USA!USA!USA!

BPP

-Jerry Rice

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
BigPapaProtein
BigPapaProtein
Brawn

All right so for once I'm writing the post the day OF the workout and not many days after. Yay me and progress!!!

So today was deadlift day and it went really well. After DL's I did some lat pulldowns and bent over dumbbell rows as my assistance exercises. I went big and heavy on my assistance work because i feel it is the most beneficial for me.

DL- 275x3, 295x3, 310x3

Lat pulldowns- 180x12,x12,x8 (hit failure) 32reps

dumbbell rows- 80's 3x10

After writing it down I see that it doesn't look like much, but I did a lot of body weight ab and back work on tuesday so this was enough for me now.

Thanks for reading!

BPP

-Jerry Rice

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
BigPapaProtein
BigPapaProtein
Brawn

Alrighty here is my write-up for Overhead Press day.

I really had no idea what my max was since I hardly ever do this lift, but I knew starting at 135 was probably gonna make me collapse like a baby giraffe and cause a scene, so 65lbs warm it was.

Started out with 95 after my warm up and felt pretty good about it, so I did 5 reps. I ended up sticking with 5reps for each weight and just kind of crept up as I went. After overhead press i went into clean and press bc at my gym, the power rack is right next to the deadlifting area so I could use the bumpers. Work in some good reps here and was mostly trying to get my heart rate up. After this I did seated dumbbell press, upright rows, and lat raises.

All in all it was a really productive outing and my lats were screaming by the end.

Overhead press: 65 warmup, 95x5,105x5,115x5

Clean and press: 95x8,105x8,135x6

Seated press: 50's 3x12

upright rows: 70 3x10

Lateral raise: 15's 3x10

Thanks for reading,

BPP

-Jerry Rice

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
BigPapaProtein
BigPapaProtein
Brawn

Yesterday was SQWAAAT day!

All in all it was a great session. I'm sitting here now writing w/o the DOMs, but my legs do feel like jell-o. Hit up squats, incline leg press, seated calf raises, and seated leg curls. My wife and I started doing the incline leg press last week and agree that it is helping a ton. Before that we would do it on a different machine where you sit inline with the weight ( I hope that's a good enough description) and its just not the same. There something about crawling into a machine that looks like a medieval torture devise and busting out sets. Alright well here is the results...

Squats: 135 Warmup, 190x5,215x3,245x2

Incline Leg Press: 6 plates-3x15

Seated calf raise: 3 plates-3x15

Leg Curls: 120 3x15

Alright everyone, thanks again for reading and don't forget to support your local MLS team. Just bc USA is out, there is no good reason to put your fandom into hibernation for 4 years!

BPP

-Jerry Rice

Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #10
BigPapaProtein
BigPapaProtein
Brawn

Chest day!!!

So this workout went pretty well. I was able to get 2 reps on my last set of bench, which is pretty awesome. I went back to 75's on my incline dumbbell press and got one more rep than last week, oh yeah PROGRESS! Flyes and tricep extensions went well. The last couple times I've done triceps extensions, I have not been able to do the weight I want. I think it may be bc of how much of the tank I used on bench and there just isn't enough left in them when I get around to working just triceps. Does this sound right to anyone? Anyone else go through this? Well anyways, heres the numbers...

Bench- 185x5, 210x3, 245x2

Incline Dumbbell- 75's 2x12, 9 = 33 Reps

Flyes- 55's 3x12 ( These were rough!)

Triceps cable extensions- 170x8, 160x7, 140x12

Thanks for reading!

BPP

Happy 4th!!!

-Jerry Rice

Share with Facebook