Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Aurik
Aurik
aka Gimpy the 8th dwarf
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
My Mood: Paranoid
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor
Default Help UnScrew my Deadlift

Hey everyone,

So I'm making great gains in the deadlift (my last gym 1RM was 455lbs), but that's despite my form sucking pretty badly. Here's my last few vids I've taken that help illustrate my problems:

495 (failed at knees)

Yet a few weeks prior I'd just done a 545lb rack pull from just below the knees:

I'm sure the problem is with my setup -- I'm planning on doing a DE deadlift day on Friday and experimenting with conventional, narrow sumo, and wide sumo to find what stance works best for me... but if any of you guys could throw out some suggestions as to how I could improve my technique, I'd VERY much appreciate it.

Oh... and don't feel that you need to hold back from saying my technique is a steaming pile of male cow feces. I'm a big enough man to take it
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Default See here

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/beg...al-thread.html

Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hi Aurik,

Let's try to get you rocking the deadlifts. First off, you are brutally strong. You just need a few minor tweaks to get you headed in the right direction.

The first thing I notice is that your shins are well back of the bar when you initiate the lift. This is messing up your leverage, and turning the lift into an unbalanced pull. Because the bar is so far forward, your hips are lifting in an attempt to balance your body. Your body is seeking to create some leverage or balance.

Try to move the feet about halfway under the bar.

From there reach down and grab the bar. Sink your hips until you feel you are in a good leverage point. Don't think about form at this point. Try and feel the leverage. Hips too low will feel like you are sitting back, and you won't feel like you have leverage, or like you are in a position of strength. Hips too high and you won't feel leverage, you will feel like you are leaning over the bar.

Forget about form. Think about leverage and being in a position of strength. Sometimes we "form lock" ourselves and turn what should be a natural movement into a clunker because we are overthinking.

With the feet under the bar, and your hips in a position of leverage, lift your head up. You currently start the deadlift looking down. (See the first video) Your body, and leverage, hinges a lot on where your head is. Before you start the lift, look straight ahead.

From here, stand up, leading with the head. The body follows the head, and the proper muscles will drive the lift. "Stand up"...don't "pull up" on the bar. Grab that bar from a position of leverage, get your head up, and stand up.

Once the bar is off the ground, put all of your mental energy into standing up, not pulling up. To finish the lift, thrust those hips forward. You are currently finishing the deadlfit by pulling the bar up like a row. Don't do this. At that position, thrust those hips forward. As I told LTL once, mentally picture ****ing the bar. (Excuse my French).

I hope this helps. You have a 600 deadlift in you very soon. Don't get frustrated. these are all minor things that can be corrected.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-07-2011 at 08:08 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,169, Level: 100 Points: 36,169, Level: 100 Points: 36,169, Level: 100
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Dynamic deadlifts and Steve's advice fixed my deadlift. FACT.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Ken you are definitely in the right place to get it fixed mate, Steve, BBG, LtL and all the other big strong guys on here will have you moving mountains before you know it

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Aurik
Aurik
aka Gimpy the 8th dwarf
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn

Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Steve,

Thanks for that excellent advice. I'll definitely try to put that in practice tomorrow while doing a bunch of reps in various stances so I can find what setup works best for me. Your advice, as always, is muchly appreciated!

Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurik View Post
Steve,

Thanks for that excellent advice. I'll definitely try to put that in practice tomorrow while doing a bunch of reps in various stances so I can find what setup works best for me. Your advice, as always, is muchly appreciated!
Glad to help. If things get hairy and you still feel this isn't working, I can give you my phone and we can talk.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Steve pretty much covered what I was going to say as well. haha

Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
Aurik
Aurik
aka Gimpy the 8th dwarf
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn

Well, last Friday I went ahead and did a bunch of short deadlift sets (9 total), and based upon several threads I think I'm getting much closer to finding that "sweet spot" on setup to optimize my leverages. Thanks to Steve for his excellent insight, and also to Bodybygamma for his DL article and to Carl for his article on conventional vs sumo. Today I'm going to do some halting DL's to see if I can keep my hips from flying up when the weight on the bar gets HEAVY. In about 6 weeks I'll be trying for another 1RM. 5 plates per side being the MINIMUM goal

Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

nice work Ken... Steve is most definitely 'the man'

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook