Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine
Default Deadlifting: Conventional or Sumo ? Depends on your Bone Structure !
by Carl1174 03-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Choosing Conventional or Sumo Based on Your Bone Structure

By Boris Bojanovic

How long is a piece of string?

We all know that if you have long arms and a short torso, you should pull conventional. If you have a long torso and short arms, sumo suits your anatomy better. But how do you tell whether your arms or torso are short or long? With some people, it’s just not as obvious as with Lamar Gant.

A recent article by Dr. Michael Hales published in the Strength and Conditioning Journal quantified what a “short” torso is and how long your arms need to be before you could call them “long.” In this article, I’ve simplified the research for you so that you can measure your own arms and torso to decide whether you are better suited to deadlifting conventional or sumo.

You will need a tape measure and a friend to help you measure your height, arm length, and torso length. Directly comparing your arm length to the arm of someone who is 5’10” won’t mean anything unless you’re 5’10” as well, so you’ll need to get your calculator out. You will need to express your arm and torso lengths as a proportion of your height, which is math talk for divide your arm length by your height and your torso length by your height. So if you’re 5’10” (70”) and your torso is 35” long, your torso is 50 percent of your height. This percentage can be used for comparison.

•Your torso is measured from the bony prominence on the side of your thigh at the top (greater trochanter for all the anatomy geeks) to the top of your head vertically.

•Your arm is measured from the bony part of the top of your shoulder (proxy for the head of the humerus) to the middle finger with your arm held out straight.

•Your height is taken barefoot standing up against a wall.

Now that you’ve taken your measurements and have done your calculations, you can use the following table to find out if your arms and torso are short, average, or long.

Table 1: Torso and arm lengths expressed as proportions of height

TORSO: 47% Average (<47% would be Short, >47% would be long)
ARMS: 38% Avergae (<38% would be short, >38% would be long)

Now that you know how long your arms and torso are, you can use the following table to see whether you should be pulling conventional or sumo.

Table 2: Recommendations based on relative lengths of torso and arms

Short Arms and Torso = Either
Short Arms, Average Torso = Sumo
Short Arms, Long Torso = Sumo

Average Arms, Short Torso = Conventional
Average Arms and Torso = Either
Averge Arms, Long Torso = Sumo

Long Arms, Short Torso = Conventional
Long Arms, Average Torso = Conventional
Long Arms and Torso = Either

Using that information, if you have short arms relative to your torso, you are better suited to adopting a sumo stance when deadlifting. If you have long arms relative to your torso, you will probably find conventional deadlifts easier. And if your arm length matches your torso length, you can get away with both styles, so you should experiment with both to see which works better for you.

That being said, we aren’t just made up of bones. Strength and flexibility also affect which deadlifting style will add more to your total. The conventional deadlift is better for those with strong glutes, hamstrings, and lower back muscles. Pulling sumo uses the quads and adductors to a greater extent than conventional but also requires above average adductor flexibility.

So what’s the moral of the story?

If you’re a beginner and you aren’t sure which style will work better for your bone structure, use the information above to decide. If you’re a more advanced lifter and your preferred pulling style doesn’t match up with the recommendations above, maybe you’ve developed your strength and flexibility to counter the influence of your structure. Or maybe you have untapped potential in deadlifting in the style your bones were designed for.

If you do decide to change your lifting style, you probably won’t see the benefits immediately. Think back to how long it took you to perfect your technique. Perfecting the new style will take time, but you’ll be making the best of what you’ve been given, not going against it.

On a practical note, if you’ve been pulling conventional and you decide to try sumo because you’re better built for it, you shouldn’t just drop conventional altogether, especially if you plan on competing while you’re developing your sumo deadlift. You should train them in parallel. One good way to do this is to perform your warm-up sets with both or warm up to a work set with sumo and then continue your work set(s) with conventional. Obviously, the same applies when going from sumo to conventional.

Interesting ??

Carl.

Choosing Conventional or Sumo Based on Your Bone Structure
Views 1950 Comments 20
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 20

Comments

Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,360,283, Level: 100 Points: 1,360,283, Level: 100 Points: 1,360,283, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
That being said, we aren’t just made up of bones. Strength and flexibility also affect which deadlifting style will add more to your total. The conventional deadlift is better for those with strong glutes, hamstrings, and lower back muscles. Pulling sumo uses the quads and adductors to a greater extent than conventional but also requires above average adductor flexibility.
This is a good, and important quote. My sumo deadlift was very weak compared to my conventional because of muscle weakness.

I am probably in the either camp, though I will have to measure.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Quote:
This is a good, and important quote. My sumo deadlift was very weak compared to my conventional because of muscle weakness.

I am probably in the either camp, though I will have to measure.
It funny cos I have a fairly long body and short arms i think (i will be measuring though) and my quads have always been strong, but i suck at Sumo... perhaps i just need to practice

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,360,283, Level: 100 Points: 1,360,283, Level: 100 Points: 1,360,283, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My quads are strong, but my back is very strong. I don't think sumos allow me to pull with
the back as much, which created my weakness.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 35,066, Level: 100 Points: 35,066, Level: 100 Points: 35,066, Level: 100
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Long torso, short legs and arms here. Sumo works a charm. I have real problems getting my hips low enough on a conventional to make the most of my (short) levers.

I love watching different people deadlift. Some use lost of leg, some use lots of back. As a rule of thumb: train both and then compete using the strongest

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
As a rule of thumb: train both and then compete using the strongest

LtL
^ This personally works well for me.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

I tried sumo once but it just felt so weird and I had no power, unless I was just concerned and that's what prevented me from pulling the bar, it's possible.

Then again, I'm short and short

Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Aurik
Aurik
aka Gimpy the 8th dwarf
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
My Mood: Paranoid
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Well I've either got short arms, a long torso, or both (when I lock out, the bar tends to sit right ABOVE my family jewels)... so I'll definitely be doing some experimenting with both narrow and wide sumo to see what I can get to work.
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
ForwardMotionStruggle
ForwardMotionStruggle
has no status.
Strugglin'
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: Not enough.
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bored
ForwardMotionStruggle is off to a bad start

Apparently I've been doing the wrong deadlift for my body.

I guess I'll try learning sumo next time. Does it make sense that it looks like it would work your glutes more? Can anyone confirm this for me because to be honest I feel that conventional only seems to work a bit of my arms/upper and my lower back. Rarely the lower body.
ForwardMotionStruggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 35,066, Level: 100 Points: 35,066, Level: 100 Points: 35,066, Level: 100
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I feel sumo in my glutes, lower and upper back. I also feel a stretch in the adductors/abductor area when getting set obviously. Glutes/lower for the bottom half and upper back for the top half.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook