Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine
Default Consuming protein powder vs. whole foods - personal experience

the BOLD is for those who want to just skim over the intro

This thread is not meant to show any research or anything ground breaking but just an overall personal experience. Those of you who've been following my log will know that I've been preparing to stepping onto the BB stage for the first time in April. When I began my prep, my diet consisted mainly of eating whole foods; brown rice, oats, eggs, chicken, lean beef, veggies, etc.

I decided to spend my money on whole foods rather than protein powder and supps since I am on a tight budget. I made great progress in doing so without the aid of any supplements. The only supplement that I have a full supply of is creatine monohydrate which I don't really pay much attention to.

Anyways, I had an opportunity this pass week to go on a road trip to some of the historical sites here on the east coast. Some may have thought that it wasn't the best decision being so close to competition but I wasn't going to let this competition take over my life and miss an opportunity to see things I don't know if i will ever have another chance.

I planned all my meals for the week. I chose to pack protein powder, natural peanut butter, oatmeal, package tuna, and almonds. 3-4 meals out of my 6 daily meals were consisted of using protein powder, I usually made a sludge.

Throughout the week I continued my training and cardio and worked with what i had equipment wise at the places i stayed at. Everything went to plan, I got all my training and meals in and I was very proud of myself for that.

OBSERVATIONS
I noticed something different this week. Even though my weight continued to drop slowly and my body was progressing, I observed that my body looked different. I saw that my body wasn't looking as hard as it was before. I was still seeing the cuts and separation but that hardness look of my muscles wasn't as pronounced.

I just wanted to share my experience since there has been discussion comparing consumption of protein powder vs whole food. Through my own experience and my opinion, I choose whole foods over protein powder. I do understand that whey protein absorbs much faster in your body especially after workouts and are much quicker to consume if you are in a hurry. But, I've experienced great progress with consuming whole food meals post workout and with planning ahead you should be able to get all your meals.

By no means am I saying that an individual should do one thing over the other. I'm basically sharing my personal experience on how my body was effected by placing most of my efforts on protein powders. Although I was seeing more muscle separation, I looked softer that when I consumed mainly whole foods.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Way to be observant on how you body reacts. To many people close there eyes and just want to do "what all the others are doing/latest fade or what worked in the past" and not what there body NEEDS to do.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,671, Level: 100 Points: 33,671, Level: 100 Points: 33,671, Level: 100
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Great post D!

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
Szelago
Szelago
120 lbs LOST!!!
44 yr bulk phase complete
Max Brawn
Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 1yr since coming back
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Leg Press
Fav Supp: Thank god for elastamine!
Szelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributor

Ha! I'm still too fat to notice a difference! Sorry, not much help.

In the mirror of adversity we see what we are truly made of.
Szelago is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Great post D. shows the importance of doing what is right for you and not just blindly following what everyone else preaches.

Personally i prefer whole food if i can, but I use protein powder for convieniance and fast absorbtion after training. But whole food is king in my book

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
jslep
jslep
wants to be BTB when he grows up
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
My Mood: Devilish
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Great post D! I agree totally on relying on whole foods over protein. i usually follow the same route. other than i usually have one post workout cause i feel it works for me.

One question i do have for you is that in this time frame did your fats and carbs change at all too? The reason i ask is because in my carb depletion times i would also look very flat even though i was eating the same 6oz chicken breasts 5 times a day. I only say this because i want to make sure you are covering all your bases heading into this comp because i want to see you crush it. And like Rich had said too many people just coast through this stuff without picking up on the things that will make them successful in this game. Just make sure you have thought of everything with this.......

could it have been carb depletion related??

could it have been fats depletion related??

or it was just simply the difference in types of protein??

Great to see you are watching your body and tryin to learn from it in this process D. That is the frame of mind that will make you a champion.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

In response to Jslep:

It could be from being carb depleted not to sure. But my macros stayed pretty much the same during this pass week. Timed my carb consumption around my workouts which was first thing in the morning and after my training. The rest of the day consisted for protein and fat meals. It could have been from the constant walking I did all over the place which caused my body to deplete the carbs to get that flat feeling because I was basically on my feet all day. That could be the reason but not too sure
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook