Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Low Carb Diet Documentary

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,987, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Video #2 is win.

10x improvement in cholesterol levels in 6 months eating high fat, versus low calorie, low fat diets.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,126, Level: 96 Points: 26,126, Level: 96 Points: 26,126, Level: 96
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Good videos, nice lunch time watching. Though, I could have done with out chunky in the shower.

Interesting example of the last study cited. The largest person in my Fit for the King program came to me in January with her weekly food log. Low fat, High carb, almost no protein. I had her increase protein to 1g/lb bw. Since January 14, 2011 she is now down about 32 lbs and still shrinking.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Last edited by bamazav; 03-25-2011 at 12:19 PM.
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

It raises interesting questions...as in, which is most important: protein or fat, or maybe both. Protein takes the upper hand in this battle, but having lived high protein for 2+ decades, I certainly know that in concert with carbs it's not a winning formula for weight loss.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
bamazav
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I would like to see a study about the types of carbs. What we have seen in the last century is an increase in production and consumption of processed simple carbs, loaf breads, cereals, instant this or that. At the same time we have seen an increase in obesity.

I am also praying over and about the foods listed in the Bible. Would God tell his creation to eat something that would kill them? A whole nother discussion. Anyway, while there are carbs on the list, NONE, would have been highly processed, but would have been stone ground mostly by hand. This would retain almost all of the fiber and nutrients. But, aside from the few grains listed, Barley, Wheat, Millet, Spelt and a few Legumes, Lentils primarily, and a few of the fruits, the overall food listing is fairly low carb.

We should also remember that until relatively recently, most grain foods were used as minor sides, not as main dishes. Even our pasta favorites were to be side dishes of the meat and veggies. The western diet began using grains as a cheap source of food and thrust them to the forefront. (again, a whole nother discussion)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Bible Foods.doc (16.0 KB, 174 views)

Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Last edited by bamazav; 03-25-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
rippednmichigan
rippednmichigan
robert@flexfitnessandnutrition.com
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
My Mood: Daring
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It raises interesting questions...as in, which is most important: protein or fat, or maybe both. Protein takes the upper hand in this battle, but having lived high protein for 2+ decades, I certainly know that in concert with carbs it's not a winning formula for weight loss.
^This statement holds so true for me.
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
bamazav
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

If you are eating your leafy greens and other low carb fiber laden veggies, I do not see how the high protein formula can be wrong in the long run. It is interesting that the increase in diagnoses of many of the digestive track diseases and cancers correlates with the advent of the carb based diet.

Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Though it's not entirely along the same lines of "Low carb", if any of you are able to get hold of a copy of The China Study by Campbell and Campbell, it raises some interesting points about carbohydrate high/low diets and the sort of carbohydrate consumed, amongst other things.

I haven't read much of the book yet, but it's very good reading considering we all want the best from the diet. Certainly a book worth having on your shelf.

Concerning the protein/fat (carb) question, I feel it's really a case of a decent balance of all food groups...the problem with the carbs is most of the ones we eat are highly processed and I really think that's where the big problems are arising. Wheat is used more than spelt, whereas spelt is the oldest grain source known (I believe) but wheat was derived from it, modified basically, in order to grow in other climates and it's intriguing to find out that splet is tolerated a lot better than the wheat we now eat.

Last edited by 5kgLifter; 03-26-2011 at 09:25 AM.
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
bamazav
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Though it's not entirely along the same lines of "Low carb", if any of you are able to get hold of a copy of The China Study by Campbell and Campbell, it raises some interesting points about carbohydrate high/low diets and the sort of carbohydrate consumed, amongst other things.

I haven't read much of the book yet, but it's very good reading considering we all want the best from the diet. Certainly a book worth having on your shelf.

Concerning the protein/fat (carb) question, I feel it's really a case of a decent balance of all food groups...the problem with the carbs is most of the ones we eat are highly processed and I really think that's where the big problems are arising. Wheat is used more than spelt, whereas spelt is the oldest grain source known (I believe) but wheat was derived from it, modified basically, in order to grow in other climates and it's intriguing to find out that splet is tolerated a lot better than the wheat we now eat.
Thanks for the referral Babs. Interesting points about spelt (hope I spelt that right ).

Sentences bolded is a great points. Some people mistakenly believe that low carb means no carbs. The view, even among many low carbers, is that all carbs are bad. That is just not true. The Paleo diet, for example, includes carbs, just natural and primarily complex carbs. The avoidance should be of the processed and simple carbs which offer little to no nutritional value.

Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Whenever I check out a new book in the fitness/diet realm, I like to read the negative reviews as well as the positive. This usually gives me a nice balance of ideas, and allows me to better process the content of the book.

The China Study's negative reviews were were interesting reading, for anyone who takes time to explore both sides of the argument.

Share with Facebook