Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
BigFiveFive
BigFiveFive
is getting huge-er-er
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

Why would you consume protein that come from a plant?

Get your Fixx at the Muscle and Strength store!
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...e-science.html

Or our online store!
www.advancedmusclescience.com

Don't talk about it, Be about it
!

TEAM THOR!

Last edited by jslep; 03-05-2011 at 11:57 AM.
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

My 2 cents. There are many research that talks about how soy protein and all isn't healthy for you and there are also alot of research on how a lot of meat consumption is bad for you. There's different sides to both views. I know guys who consume soy and are still big and strong and vice versa. I have no problem with soy, it's an individual choice.
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

I think it tastes bad. Therefore, I don't eat it.

It is included in the same food group as squash, zucchini, raw spinach, and that horrible red-powder candy stuff, as far as I'm concerned. haha

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #14
Kyle Aaron
Kyle Aaron
has no status.
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,584, Level: 43 Points: 4,584, Level: 43 Points: 4,584, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
My Mood: Relaxed
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
if you want to tell me the soy protein isolate I have been taking for the last year is bad for me, you better step up with some hard evidence I can relate to.
Apparently it causes extreme flatulence.

There's an interesting bit of Muscle, Smoke & Mirrors where the authour describes how the makers of early protein powders found it hard to come up with a digestible formula, much easier with milk proteins.

I dunno, I'm no soy hater. I'm just generally scornful of protein powders. Many people consume them with dextrose, and are careful to get animal fats from meat. So with milk protein powders... we pay the protein powder company to remove the water, remove the carbohydrates, remove the fats... then we add water, add carbs, have some animal fats from steak and...

... wouldn't it be easier to just drink the damn milk?

Or in your case, just eat the damn tofu?

Either way, if you're scarfing down all that protein powder, someone open a damn window in this gym.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #15
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFiveFive View Post
Why would you consume protein that come from a plant?

You fool.
negged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
My 2 cents. There are many research that talks about how soy protein and all isn't healthy for you and there are also alot of research on how a lot of meat consumption is bad for you. There's different sides to both views. I know guys who consume soy and are still big and strong and vice versa. I have no problem with soy, it's an individual choice.
^Not to mention, straight statistical facts concerning meat overconsumption and bowel/colon cancer, leading to early death... is it just me, or are people generally forgetting that cave men didn't live all that long??
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
I think it tastes bad. Therefore, I don't eat it.
It is included in the same food group as squash, zucchini, raw spinach, and that horrible red-powder candy stuff, as far as I'm concerned. haha
I have no idea what that is, but I agree - it don't taste that great. Neither does broccoli and cauliflower, but these things are (at least, this month) still considered good for you. Sometimes it's a paradox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
Apparently it causes extreme flatulence.

There's an interesting bit of Muscle, Smoke & Mirrors where the authour describes how the makers of early protein powders found it hard to come up with a digestible formula, much easier with milk proteins.

I dunno, I'm no soy hater. I'm just generally scornful of protein powders. Many people consume them with dextrose, and are careful to get animal fats from meat. So with milk protein powders... we pay the protein powder company to remove the water, remove the carbohydrates, remove the fats... then we add water, add carbs, have some animal fats from steak and...

Or in your case, just eat the damn tofu?

Either way, if you're scarfing down all that protein powder, someone open a damn window in this gym.
This is especially poignant, as I do not suffer flatulence from taking soy, extreme or mild... at least, no more so than anyone with a typical high protein diet.
I can take whey, and fart all day, and shit water too. Soy? Nothing. Just solid muscle gains.
Go figure.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #16
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

I love it when white americans lecture on the eating habits of other cultures. It convinces me I should ignore them.
Enerex.ca | Soy Protein V Hemp Protein
Quote:
Traditionally, Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) was used to evaluate the quality of proteins. The PER method reflects the amino acid requirements of young growing rats, and not humans. A report was published in 1991, by the Food and Agricultural Organization/World Health Organization (FAO/ WHO) Joint Expert Consultation which called for a more acceptable and validated procedure for protein quality evaluation. The recommended method, called Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS), was adopted by regulatory bodies in most countries including the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for protein quality evaluation and nutrition labeling purposes for products intended for children over the age of two and adults.

The PDCAAS method is based on an amino acid scoring method, comparing the amino acid profile of the test protein food to the FAO/WHO two- to five-year-old amino acid pattern. The two- to five-year-old pattern is used because it exceeds the amino acid requirement patterns of older children and adults. The most limiting amino acid is used to determine the uncorrected amino acid score and that number multiplied by the food's digestibility is the PDCAAS. Using this method, Isolated Soy Proteins have the highest obtainable score (1.0) for calculating the corrected protein value. No protein can have a PDCAAS greater than 1.0. Soy Proteins are highly digestible, complete proteins containing all the essential amino acids in the reference pattern in the correct proportion. By contrast, Hemp protein scores very low on the PDCAAS with a value of less than .5 and with 5 essential amino acids below the minimum reference pattern.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #17
bigtim27
bigtim27
You are pissing excellence, and crapping a bad ass! And, you wipe it with pure attitude!
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

You like soy Ab I get it. Use it and enjoy it. No need to get offended and dogmatic about it. Eat it,drink it and enjoy it.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

A bit of a read.

Soy Alert -- Tragedy and Hype, by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig, 2000
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Some info on Mary Enig PHd.

Mary Enig was a lone whistle blower drawing attention to the dangers of trans fats during the late 1970s and 1980s. It is only now that her research findings are gaining acceptance.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #20
Trevor Ross
Trevor Ross
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheerful
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post

Not in my case, I am lactose intolerant.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook