Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
Spartigus
Spartigus
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Sleepy
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor
Default Madcow 5x5 - Clean and Jerk instead of OHP

Hey guys!

This is the routine I plan on using, I just have a question on it. Instead of doing OHP, can I do a clean and jerk? Or is there a way I can incorporate a clean and jerk or a snatch into this routine?

Also does anyone have a good guide to a clean and jerk or a snatch?

Monday – Heavy Day
Squat – 5 sets of 5
Bench – 5 sets of 5
Barbell Row or Powerclean – 5 sets of 5
Weighted hyperextensions - 2 sets
Weighted sit-ups - 4 sets

On Monday, the weight for each lift is increased on each set of 5, from a light warm-up to an all out set of 5. For squats, something like 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5. The weight should be increased evenly from your first to last set. Your fifth set equals the triple from the previous Friday's workout.

Wednesday – Light Day
Squat – 4 sets of 5
Incline Bench or Overhead Press – 4 sets of 5
Deadlift – 4 sets of 5
Sit-ups - 3 sets

On light day, Squat the first 3 sets of 5 just as you did on Monday, and then do a fourth set of 5 with the weight used on the third set. An extra fifth set at this same weight can be added. Incline bench/Overhead Press and deadlifts are ramped up to a top set of five.

Friday - Medium
Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
Barbell Row or Powerclean– 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8 for rows
Weighted Dips - 3 sets of 5-8
Triceps Extension and Biceps Curl - 3 sets of 8 each

Thanks
Spartigus

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,066, Level: 100 Points: 34,066, Level: 100 Points: 34,066, Level: 100
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I would just add some c&j's as the first exercise on each day, good way to get fired up for the more static lifts.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
Spartigus
Spartigus
has no status.
Max Brawn

Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I would just add some c&j's as the first exercise on each day, good way to get fired up for the more static lifts.
Thanks mate!! Maybe 2 or 3 sets?

Or could a snatch be better because powercleans are already on 2 days.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
Hey guys!

This is the routine I plan on using, I just have a question on it.

Instead of doing OHP, can I do a clean and jerk?

Or is there a way I can incorporate a clean and jerk or a snatch into this routine?

Spartigus
I would not drop OHP for cleans.

I agree with Swede's recomendation to add cleans at the beginning of the session. If I were to add PC to the session I would start at a 5x3 scheme, and use a light weight to start. Don't increase weight during the sets, just use a single weight. Do this for a few sessions to get a feel for the work.

After a couple of weeks you could start to add a little weight to the last 3 sets, and again see how you feel.

Performing power cleans is the easiest option here. Performing a snatch is exponentially more technical in the proper execution of the lift. Even performing the overhead squat aspect of the lift is hard.

Have you over done overhead squats? I really like doing them, but they will crush your ego with how little weight most people can actually use, when they first start doing them.

I really like incorporating oly lift techniques in my work.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
Spartigus
Spartigus
has no status.
Max Brawn

Thanks for the input!! Yeah I will incorporate something in the beginning. I have tried doing overhead squats with just a broomstick in my hands and it HURT!

I thought maybe the snatch would be better? Because two of the days already have powercleans, and a clean and jerk is similar (apart from the jerk part). I thought a snatch would give more variety, instead of a clean and jerk?

But I think the clean and jerk will help my pressing, so I am leaning towards that.

I have been reading about the power snatch on the following link, so maybe I should do power snatch at the beginning, then progress to a normal snatch? Or should I do the normal snatch?

Starting Strength

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I can't access parts of the site from work.

Have you ever done overhead squats?
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
Spartigus
Spartigus
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I can't access parts of the site from work.

Have you ever done overhead squats?
I have done them with just a bar, but thats it. The link was to Mark Rippetoe coaching a snatch for a sort of hang clean position, but with the wider grip used for the snatch

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,066, Level: 100 Points: 34,066, Level: 100 Points: 34,066, Level: 100
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
Thanks mate!! Maybe 2 or 3 sets?

Or could a snatch be better because powercleans are already on 2 days.
I would work my way up to the workset weight using singles or dobles, and then perform 3x3 or 5x3 at the most. Snatch is a very technical lift, and i agree with gl about the OH squat part of it - its very difficult to master without alot of practice. I mostly do the hang snatch which works fine - not getting as deep down as in the full olympic snatch, even if you can.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Spartigus
Spartigus
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I would work my way up to the workset weight using singles or dobles, and then perform 3x3 or 5x3 at the most. Snatch is a very technical lift, and i agree with gl about the OH squat part of it - its very difficult to master without alot of practice. I mostly do the hang snatch which works fine - not getting as deep down as in the full olympic snatch, even if you can.
Thanks!! I think I will try it out with just the bar, and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice guys!! Legends!

Ill give my thoughts on it in my log every session

Thanks again guys!

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Just remember that the Clean-and-Jerk is both a pull and a push movement. Also, you will be generating most of the power from your legs and back if you do it right. An OHP is completely different.

One tip: Don't do reps with these. Even on your lighter sets you should go with full singles. Olympic lifters will tell you the same thing; it is much easier to work on technique with heavy weights that way and there is less chance of injury due to a form breakdown.

Share with Facebook