Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Question Squat grip

I'll ask this here because I am a beginner when it comes to back squats.

This isn't about bar placement or grip width but about the placing of thumbs around or thumbs over the bar.

Does anyone have advice on the thumbs over the barbell placement? Is it safe/safer, in cases of needing to lose the barbell quickly in a crisis scenario etc?

All views appreciated.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I kill quote Kyle Aaron on this:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...quat-grip.html

Quote:
I find it's good for people who have a tendency to try to support the bar's weight by a shoulder press, instead of simply holding it there and squatting. The round-bar grip lets them do that, the thumbless forces them to push the bar forward, push their shoulders back, chest up - and just squat.

However, they need good shoulder flexibility for this.

It's not for everyone, but good for some.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Spartigus
Spartigus
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Sleepy
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I always go for thumbs in direction of fingers (suicide grip for bench press). This lets the bar sit lower down my back, just down from the top of my shoulders (hard to explain because I forgot the terms). But having your hands like that pushes the bar into your back giving a lot of grip and a solid purchase on your back. Also it helps in tightening your back and I find it helps put your thoracic arch into extension (I think thats the term for it?).

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
AdamF
AdamF
is getting strong.
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum
Default Depends on You

I also have always used a suicide grip for squats because when the weight gets heavy, two things seem to happen to me.

1. The weight kills the area between my index finger and thumb, I guess you would call that the thumb joint? Like some pretty heavy pain that subsides quickly but is not comfortable.

2. It also forces my wrists into a pretty awkward angle that I feel isn't very natural. It feels like it places a lot of load on the wrist and would hurt when the weight gets really heavy.

Although in Starting Strength Rippetoe recommends the suicide grip because of the natural wrists angle, I feel that the reason top powerlifters use the full grip is because even though it puts the wrist at a very awkward angle, it also pushes the elbows forward into the "correct position". Many articles on Elite talk about the elbows down and forward thing.

It all boils down to personal preference though. If you don't like the wrist angle go suicide. If you like the angle the elbows are in with the full grip, go for that.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Spartigus
Spartigus
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Sleepy
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
I also have always used a suicide grip for squats because when the weight gets heavy, two things seem to happen to me.

1. The weight kills the area between my index finger and thumb, I guess you would call that the thumb joint? Like some pretty heavy pain that subsides quickly but is not comfortable.

2. It also forces my wrists into a pretty awkward angle that I feel isn't very natural. It feels like it places a lot of load on the wrist and would hurt when the weight gets really heavy.

Although in Starting Strength Rippetoe recommends the suicide grip because of the natural wrists angle, I feel that the reason top powerlifters use the full grip is because even though it puts the wrist at a very awkward angle, it also pushes the elbows forward into the "correct position". Many articles on Elite talk about the elbows down and forward thing.

It all boils down to personal preference though. If you don't like the wrist angle go suicide. If you like the angle the elbows are in with the full grip, go for that.
Good points!!!! I tend to hold my wrists close to my shoulders (also as Rippetoe says), whereas a lot of powerlifters have a much wider grip.

It all depends on your body and your goals and just about any factor you can think of.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Thanks guys I'll bare those points in mind the next time I do back squats and see how I feel with both grip versions.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
AdamF
AdamF
is getting strong.
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum

Thought this little story would fit perfect in this thread. Might help some other people with getting tight.

So this past week I have been really trying to work on my squat form with the bar and sometimes with a PVC pipe. I have been scouring the net looking for how to squats, reading and re-reading SS and digging into archive articles on EliteFTS.

Last night I was watching the EFS squat/deadlift exercise index with Wendler. Watching the box squat part, Jim said something really profound that I haven't really though of yet. Something that almost no "How to Squat" article mentions is gripping the bar. Not in the sense of how and where to place your hands, but how HARD you should be gripping the bar.

At like 2am I ran down to the basement, took a full grip, tightened my traps and upper back up, squeezed that bar as hard as I could, unracked it, and did a perfect TIGHT squat. It was like a lightbulb moment for me.

I haven't been able to keep my low back tight especially when doing high rep sets. Just couldn't get it set and once I lost it, it was gone. It was because I was taking a suicide grip and just kinda holding the bar there. Wedging it against my back with my palms. Once I took a full grip and squeezed the life out of the bar. EVERYTHING else just tightened up on command. Perfect set up, and a perfect squat.

I am now a convert.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I'll ask this here because I am a beginner when it comes to back squats.

This isn't about bar placement or grip width but about the placing of thumbs around or thumbs over the bar.

Does anyone have advice on the thumbs over the barbell placement? Is it safe/safer, in cases of needing to lose the barbell quickly in a crisis scenario etc?

All views appreciated.
I don't use thumbs on the squat it jacks my shoulder out of place. As long as you squeeze the bar hard, I actually pull it into position on my back. I also Squat with a low bar so it has less chance of rolling out any where, gets a little dangerous on explosive high rep sets but I still prefer it. Definitely safer for dumping the bar overhead, but that is very dangerous lol.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
Thought this little story would fit perfect in this thread. Might help some other people with getting tight.

So this past week I have been really trying to work on my squat form with the bar and sometimes with a PVC pipe. I have been scouring the net looking for how to squats, reading and re-reading SS and digging into archive articles on EliteFTS.

Last night I was watching the EFS squat/deadlift exercise index with Wendler. Watching the box squat part, Jim said something really profound that I haven't really though of yet. Something that almost no "How to Squat" article mentions is gripping the bar. Not in the sense of how and where to place your hands, but how HARD you should be gripping the bar.

At like 2am I ran down to the basement, took a full grip, tightened my traps and upper back up, squeezed that bar as hard as I could, unracked it, and did a perfect TIGHT squat. It was like a lightbulb moment for me.

I haven't been able to keep my low back tight especially when doing high rep sets. Just couldn't get it set and once I lost it, it was gone. It was because I was taking a suicide grip and just kinda holding the bar there. Wedging it against my back with my palms. Once I took a full grip and squeezed the life out of the bar. EVERYTHING else just tightened up on command. Perfect set up, and a perfect squat.

I am now a convert.
Thanks, every little helps

Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
I don't use thumbs on the squat it jacks my shoulder out of place. As long as you squeeze the bar hard, I actually pull it into position on my back. I also Squat with a low bar so it has less chance of rolling out any where, gets a little dangerous on explosive high rep sets but I still prefer it. Definitely safer for dumping the bar overhead, but that is very dangerous lol.
It seems I also use the low bar position, yet to decide which grip I prefer but haven't yet tried the suicide grip anyway; thanks for the input though, I'll be sure to note how the shoulders respond to the different grips.

Share with Facebook