Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
My Mood: Cool
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor
Default Training While Cutting

I was sitting on my throne this morning when I began to think about my training. I am currently cutting and just like every other weightlifting Joe Schmo, that actually has goals, I want to, "maximize fat loss while maintaining maximum muscle mass and strength gains I have made." But the question came to mind, am I going about it the right way?

It is proven that strength gains are made in working sets of 6 reps or less, and the muscle building window is 8 to 12 reps. Is training to maintain muscle and strength the same as training to build it? We would all love to make great muscle and strength gains while losing weight. But for about 99.875% of us, this will not happen. So if we keep our basic training philosophy this same when cutting as we do when we are bulking, with a little more intensity added in while cutting, we should see results we want. Right?

I am writing this because of the countless number of idiots that come up to me and say that I will never lose weight unless I go light weight and heavy reps. The more I try to explain that lifting heavy elevates your heart rate, the more stupid they think I am. It doesn't make sense to me. Do some research before you come up and talk to someone that actually has.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
It is proven that strength gains are made in working sets of 6 reps or less, and the muscle building window is 8 to 12 reps. Is training to maintain muscle and strength the same as training to build it? We would all love to make great muscle and strength gains while losing weight. But for about 99.875% of us, this will not happen. So if we keep our basic training philosophy this same when cutting as we do when we are bulking, with a little more intensity added in while cutting, we should see results we want. Right?
Hey Andy, I think based on the emboldened statement, this thread is worth a read.
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/bod...ld-muscle.html

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I'd say to keep up with the training you are doing Andy. when it comes down to cutting from what I'm learning is diet. Keep with the training that built the muscle you got now.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

I wasn't saying it is the only way, but generally accepted. I love training low reps, I just like it better. But during this cut, I'm going to incorporate equal numbers of low and high rep sets and see if I can reach the goals I have set for myself. I put on a lot of muscle using low reps, but 8 to 12 reps might be just as effective for a lot of people.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
So if we keep our basic training philosophy this same when cutting as we do when we are bulking, with a little more intensity added in while cutting, we should see results we want. Right?
You are right Andy. Training stays the same regardless of goal. A common mistake is "letting up" when cutting. You have to provide your body with every incentive to retain muscle when cutting.

Cutting is primarily about diet. Cardio gets ramped based on needs. Strength generally goes slightly as you approach "uber ripped", but you should be able to maintain quite a bit, or most, unless you are dropping into that zone.

Regarding reps...I recommend 5 to 12 for most hypertrophy needs. Lower reps can build muscle, as can higher reps. It's all about the progression. But if your goal is muscle building, there's not much sense straying outside of 5 to 12 reps for most compound lifts, excluding squats.

Isolation lifts I generally recommend 8 to 15 rep sets generally because they tend to get sloppy when heavy weight is forced, so low reps doesn't always work well because you are using a heavier weight. Mileage may vary.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

Thanks BTB. I was just seeing what everyone thinks because I don't see the sense in completely changing your training philosophy during a cut. I just see people doing all sorts of crazy things because they think it will make the fat come off faster and it just makes me scratch my head.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Thanks BTB. I was just seeing what everyone thinks because I don't see the sense in completely changing your training philosophy during a cut. I just see people doing all sorts of crazy things because they think it will make the fat come off faster and it just makes me scratch my head.
You made a wise analysis.

Going light during a cut is about the worst thing you can do.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,282, Level: 96 Points: 26,282, Level: 96 Points: 26,282, Level: 96
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I have never bought the high rep to lose junk. I lost most of mine doing between 5 and 10 reps, usually 5. What I did was lower my rest times and worked faster. I kept pushing the weight, did not go to failure, but seldom rested more than 30 seconds between sets. The point made earlier about diet is spot on. 90% of your success is going to be dependent upon how successful you are in the kitchen.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

For me, low reps get my heart beating which burns calories. That along with good diet and some cardio should burn the fat away

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
recarp82
recarp82
go big or go home
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,307, Level: 20 Points: 1,307, Level: 20 Points: 1,307, Level: 20
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

recarp82 is new to the forumrecarp82 is new to the forum

i switched from 5x5 to a 8-12 reps since i started cutting.
recarp82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook