Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Default Overhead Squats

A couple of years ago when I was again pulling my barbell set out of the corner and clearing a space in the garage, I had to rethink what I would be doing.

All I had was that barbell set. I had bought it back in the late 80's, and it had literally travelled the world with me. It was a bit rusty, but still would do the job. I had not lifted in any serious fashion for about 8 years. At that point I could barely do 1 pullup. Pathetic!

No problem, I'll do a barbell only type of workout. I put what weight I could clean on the bar, get it on my shoulders, and squat it for reps. Then put it down, and do it again.

I would hang the bar off of two bicycle hooks anchored into ceiling joist in my garage, and use that as a chinning bar.

I did presses, curls, deadlifts, power cleans. I did as much as I could think of with that 110lbs of weights. At that point that was all I was able to do anyway. Eventually I bought a couple of extra 25lb plates at wally world.

I went searching the internet for a workout, and I found this one.

Olympic Weightlifting Primer

I read the instructions, and looked at the program.

Overhead squats

Thats sounds like fun, and this program fits right in with what I am looking to do.

I don't remember how much weight I tried to do that first time, but I do remember failing miserably at it. Holy crap, these are hard to do.

I think I ended up getting a few reps at about 25lbs. Ok, I wasn't very strong at that point by any stretch of the imagination, but this was ridiculous.

The overheads had my attention. I would not quit. I would get better at these. I stuck with them and in short order worked up to sets of 5 at 95lbs.

I moved on from that program, and went back to a traditional BB program. However, overhead squats are what I warm up with before doing backsquats.

I normally do a few sets of bar only overheads. I'm thinking I might like to incorporate a progression of them again back into my routine once a week.

Overheads bring your whole body into play. They are pure leg strength on the push from the bottom. They require great delts strength to hold the bar overhead for an extended period. They stretch out your lats as you descend, and the require coordination, and balance.

They are fairly simple to do. Watch Coach Rip teach the technique. Also notice how hard the lifter is working to do the overhead squat,..

WITH AN EMPTY BAR!!

Give overhead squats a spot in your program. They are a fun, technical, challenging lift, that I think you will enjoy.

Last edited by glwanabe; 12-17-2010 at 06:05 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,797, Level: 100 Points: 33,797, Level: 100 Points: 33,797, Level: 100
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Great post GL!! Ive been thinking about those alot since i got into OL lift's and you gave me the final motivator to try em, thanks!

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
My Mood: Aggressive
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

off to a christmas party but will read this when back since im the one who asked about these, thanks for looking into these for me gl
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I've had two years of oly lifts. Overhead squats was one of ny favorite lifts to do. It's is a very technical lift in my opinion. Many people grip the bar too narrow, start off to heavy, don't keep their elbows locked. There is a lot that goes into an overhead squat. First time doin it will be awkward. Take it slow, and progress.
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
My Mood: Aggressive
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

just read and looked through all this thanks gl
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook