Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #21
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 21,219, Level: 91 Points: 21,219, Level: 91 Points: 21,219, Level: 91
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

How about some insight into your program?!

I am trying to get some sort of template together so I can somewhat plan out my training. I got the basics of the first lift I am just having trouble choosing assistance with all this craziness

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I want to bump this thread, would like some of the new guys to read this and see what they think. I really liked this workout and I may try it again soon, but with a westside twist to it!

Pretty extreme method, but it worked pretty well for me before, what does everyone think?

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #23
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
525-1x3-5 525-1x5+ 365-1x10+ 455-1x6-8 455-1x8+ 540-1x1+
Brutal work. He uses a 600 raw squat as an example. I think a program like this is certainly workable as long as you use loose percentages and go by how you feel that day for weight.

He also uses rest pause reps, which I am a fan of. They make me brutally sore.

The only thing I'm not certain of is how I would run this as a split/setup. The DOMS would probably be off the charts for me.

Any thoughts on how you'd run it Jeremy?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

DOMs is the problem with this kind of training. I was thinking of using his "basic method". I would use the percentages from 5/3/1, except do my rep out set first. Then 2 back off sets and then 1 to 3 heavy singles. Singles always heavier than the rep out set.

I am thinking of using this only for squat and bench. I will keep using westside, so basic my ME days for squat would be the 5/3/1 style. Then one deadlift variation after that, usually good mornings. Every fourth week instead of a deload I will do a ME deadlift variation. Depending on how my body feels.

I really like my speed days, they are helpful to feel explosive and also allow me to get in more assistance work to target my weaknesses.

I am thinking of still using the conjugate method though too, but use each exercise for three weeks. I have seen this suggested for raw lifters anyway.

For example: Weeks 1-3 straight bar squat
week 4 deadlift
weeks 5-7 Cambered bar box squat
week 8 deadlift variation
weeks 9-12 yoke bar squats

You get the idea, how does this sound?

I have more thoughts that will come out later as I think about this more, time to eat. WINGS!

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Looks good to me. Ease into it, get the feeling for the program, and even if it's not perfectly setup out the gate you can tweak a few things along the way.

Only advice is to stop the singles when you start to feel spent, if possible, or to base them on how you feel that day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #26
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Looks good to me. Ease into it, get the feeling for the program, and even if it's not perfectly setup out the gate you can tweak a few things along the way.

Only advice is to stop the singles when you start to feel spent, if possible, or to base them on how you feel that day.
I think that will be a key to the program. Going off of feel, and if I do not feel like doing the singles I will just not do them that day. Or do one single.

I think this will help me because I liked aspects of 5/3/1 and Juggernaut, but I also really like westside and doing singles. Trying to find some balance here, haha. Plus I like extreme methods.

I also think my body responds well to singles, but I also need to mentally feel heavy weights. I will probably start this in like 2 weeks. I am going to look at the programming this weekend.

I will run an experiment for 8 weeks and see how my max squat and bench feel after that. Then I can decide to keep it or throw it out.

Share with Facebook