Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
My Mood: Cool
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor
Default I need help!

Ok so my body fat is starting to creep up in to the danger zone for me (over 20%) and I realized it is time to get on top of this cutting thing. I tried a few months ago and I just wasn't into it. I was too bored. I've been on a dirty ass bulk for going on 10 months now. I'm 5'9 and 198lbs as of this morning. I need help formulating a diet plan that will give me enough variety that I won't be stuck with chicken and broccoli all day everyday. My goal is to lose about 30lbs with the minimum muscle and strength loss (per usual). If anyone can help I'd appreciate it!

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
BigFiveFive
BigFiveFive
is getting huge-er-er
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

Well ill go ahead and keep it simple for you, find your LBM, find a set percentage for your macronutrient make up (ie- 25%fats/35%carbs/40%protein) Once you do this find out the amount you need of each, and the amount of calories that adds up to. Hit your macros everyday and keep it clean-er, and aim for 1-2lbs (2 being MAX!) a week weight loss. Eat as many whole food meals you can and supplement BCAAs intraworkout and through the day. Add low-intensity cardio after a couple weeks of dieting and keep it slow man. Rapid weightloss isnt smart, this stuff takes time.

If you dont want simple, well here ya go

Heres some numbers to guide you in making up macros and caloric intake

Finding Caloric Baseline-
* Mesomorphs – bodyweight x 15.
* Ectomorphs – bodyweight x 16-17.
* Endomorphs – bodyweight x 13-14.

So for our subject; 200 X 15 = 3000 kcals per day. This is the subject’s caloric baseline (roughly). So if he wishes to lose 1.2 lbs per week from dieting (caloric restriction of 600 kcals per day); 3000 – 600 = 2400 kcals per day.

Meal Frequency-
* Mesomorphs – eat every 2.5 – 3.5 hours.
* Ectomorphs – eat every 2 – 3 hours.
* Endomorphs – eat every 3.5 – 5 hours.

Protein Intake-
* Mesomorphs – 1.2g/lb – 1.3g/lb.
* Ectomorphs – 1.4g/lb – 1.6g/lb.
* Endomorphs – 1.4g/lb – 1.5g/lb.*

Fat Intake-
* Mesomorphs – 17% – 23% of total calories.
* Ectomophs – 24%-28% of total calories.
* Endomorphs – 23%-28% of total calories (fat intake is increased in order to reduce carbohydrate intake, as endomorphs may have a difficult time losing fat with higher carbohydrate intakes). For our subject, this equates to about 400 – 550 kcal from fat per day (45g – 60g fat per day) Once again, I prefer the ‘middle of the road’ approach and would set his fat intake at around 55g fat per day (495 kcals/day from fat) .

Carbs are the most important for losing weight, and also for maintaining and utilizing natural hormone production, which will aid in mood, testosterone production, and weight loss. After finding out your combined caloric intake for protein and fats, whatever is left from your base amount is your carbohydrate makeup. Keep these carbs low on the GI scale.
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

I need examples of clean foods. I like simple. How do you determine LBM?

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
BigFiveFive
BigFiveFive
is getting huge-er-er
White Mamba
Max Brawn

BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

LBM= Current bodyweight x BF% = X, X=lbs of fat, Current BW-X=LBM

ANNNNDDDD:

Protein:

* Tuna or most any fish.
* Cottage cheese.
* Eggs (especially the whites).
* Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
* Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
* Lean beef.
* Low fat or no fat cheese.
* Low fat pork.
* Milk protein isolate.
* Whey protein.
* Soy protein.
* Essentially most any other source of protein so long as it is low in saturated fat and carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates:

* Sweet potatoes.
* Oat meal, oat bran, oat bran cereal (i.e. cheerios).
* Bran cereal.
* Brown rice.
* Wheat bread (try to limit to 2 slices per day).
* Beans.
* Low fat popcorn (low fat butter spray makes this a delicacy).
* Fruits (limit to 2-3 servings per day).
* Malto dextrin (during workout).
* Dextrose (during workout)
* Vegetables.
* Stay away from refined grains and anything that says “enriched” or “high fructose corn syrup” on the label!

Fat:

* Omega 3 capsules (i.e. fish oil capsules).
* Flax seed oil.
* Primrose oil.
* Borage oil.
* Olive oil.
* Nuts (limit to 1 serving per day), peanut butter (as long as it does not contain hydrogenated oils).
* Egg yolks.
* Fish (salmon especially).
* All other fat should come as a by-product of your carbohydrate and protein intake.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

Ok so according to that calculation, my LBM is 158.4. so is maybe 165 a realistic goal? I don't really have the money for dextrose or all those types of oil. The only supplements I can really afford are protein and xtend. I am still confused on how to find how many grams of each macro nutrient I need. Also, how can I find out how many grams of protein/carbs/fat each of those food items listed above has?

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
Ok so according to that calculation, my LBM is 158.4. so is maybe 165 a realistic goal? I don't really have the money for dextrose or all those types of oil. The only supplements I can really afford are protein and xtend. I am still confused on how to find how many grams of each macro nutrient I need. Also, how can I find out how many grams of protein/carbs/fat each of those food items listed above has?
See 5's post #2 lower 1/2. He made a great post on how to find the macro's. This is what most of us use. Theres no secret formula. Just in the timing of the intake of each by how your body reacts.

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 12-07-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
BigFiveFive
BigFiveFive
is getting huge-er-er
White Mamba
Max Brawn

165lbs.

165x16=2640calories -2700base amount

1.2gprotein per LB BW = 198g protein, 800 calories
25% of calories from fats - 2700x.25= 675cals/9 = 75g of fat.

800+700= 1500
2700-1500=1200
1200/4=300
300g of carbohydrates

So your macros look like this when putting your LBM (or desired weight) at 165
- 200g Protein / 75g Fats / 300g Carbs = 2675calories for an ectomorph.

If you want to try and change anything all the math is there brother.

And look up a food chart and start weighing your food, youre gunna have to.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Thanks B5. My mind wasn't up the crunching numbers.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

Thanks guys, this helps a lot.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFiveFive View Post
Well ill go ahead and keep it simple for you, find your LBM, find a set percentage for your macronutrient make up (ie- 25%fats/35%carbs/40%protein) Once you do this find out the amount you need of each, and the amount of calories that adds up to. Hit your macros everyday and keep it clean-er, and aim for 1-2lbs (2 being MAX!) a week weight loss. Eat as many whole food meals you can and supplement BCAAs intraworkout and through the day. Add low-intensity cardio after a couple weeks of dieting and keep it slow man. Rapid weightloss isnt smart, this stuff takes time.

If you dont want simple, well here ya go

Heres some numbers to guide you in making up macros and caloric intake

Finding Caloric Baseline-
* Mesomorphs – bodyweight x 15.
* Ectomorphs – bodyweight x 16-17.
* Endomorphs – bodyweight x 13-14.

So for our subject; 200 X 15 = 3000 kcals per day. This is the subject’s caloric baseline (roughly). So if he wishes to lose 1.2 lbs per week from dieting (caloric restriction of 600 kcals per day); 3000 – 600 = 2400 kcals per day.

Meal Frequency-
* Mesomorphs – eat every 2.5 – 3.5 hours.
* Ectomorphs – eat every 2 – 3 hours.
* Endomorphs – eat every 3.5 – 5 hours.

Protein Intake-
* Mesomorphs – 1.2g/lb – 1.3g/lb.
* Ectomorphs – 1.4g/lb – 1.6g/lb.
* Endomorphs – 1.4g/lb – 1.5g/lb.*

Fat Intake-
* Mesomorphs – 17% – 23% of total calories.
* Ectomophs – 24%-28% of total calories.
* Endomorphs – 23%-28% of total calories (fat intake is increased in order to reduce carbohydrate intake, as endomorphs may have a difficult time losing fat with higher carbohydrate intakes). For our subject, this equates to about 400 – 550 kcal from fat per day (45g – 60g fat per day) Once again, I prefer the ‘middle of the road’ approach and would set his fat intake at around 55g fat per day (495 kcals/day from fat) .

Carbs are the most important for losing weight, and also for maintaining and utilizing natural hormone production, which will aid in mood, testosterone production, and weight loss. After finding out your combined caloric intake for protein and fats, whatever is left from your base amount is your carbohydrate makeup. Keep these carbs low on the GI scale.
I am cutting and pasting this, making it a sticky.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook