Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
davidl351
davidl351
has no status.
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: deadlift
My Mood: Breezy
davidl351 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Thanks for checking it out. Im no expert but if you have a question I will be glad to help in any way that I can.
Oh, for sure! Since I discovered that you're versed in WS training philosophies, I'll be picking your brain in a couple of years!
davidl351 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
gaspers04
gaspers04
is "Thickneck McBenchpress"
Max Brawn
Points: 16,395, Level: 82 Points: 16,395, Level: 82 Points: 16,395, Level: 82

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Brooding
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Anytime Bud!

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl351 View Post
Thank you gl,

You know, I'm just going to shut up and do the program. I don't want to make myself look more stupid.

I do some oly lifting variations -- power snatches/power cleans -- but I'm not nearly proficient enough to do the classics. But eventually I would love to become somewhat proficient at them and further improve my OHP. It's just the aspect of moving a heavy load fast that has gotten me interested in oly lifting.

As for my shoulders, I should have clarified. When I was on the Westside basic template, it called for two days of benching -- one max effort, one dynamic effort. My shoulders were still sore 72 hours after the ME day. It could just boil down to my form and my chaotic schedule. Even in the near future, my schedule isn't going to get any better with school and work coming up. They will definitely interfere with recovery, but it won't be much of an issue when it comes to getting training time in as I'll be working at a gym.

glwanabe, I'm sorry if that doused your curiosity, haha. I tried to be interesting!
Nothing to be sorry about. Just have fun with the program. Gotta run family time stuff to do.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Dave,

You may have already looked at this program, but this is a decent Oly lifting primer that involves many different aspects of strength training as well as working on oly lifting. The program does not include benching though.

I was working through this program a few years back, and I really enjoyed it.

My Oly lifting technique sucks. Still, I was able to learn a lot, as well as go up in strength. I worked up to being able to do 5 reps with 95lbs in the overhead squat after having never done the overhead squat. I will go back and use this program again.

I have no intention of competing in oly lifting, but the program was fun, and technically challenging. There are a few aspects of this program that I would like to rework and include a few moves I like. In this case it is easier to include a few moves. As opposed to taking a powerlifting routine and putting oly moves.

Olympic Weightlifting Primer

I also enjoy gymnastic strength training. and make a habit of incorporating aspects of that sport into my workouts as well.

I totally understand your viewpoint on moving the bar fast, and how much fun it is. Oly lifting is a lot like golf. Not as much fun to watch as it is to play. however when you understand the technical aspects of what it is your looking at it can be exciting to watch.

I'm sure most people don't realize just how hard it is to overhead squat even something as light as 100lbs.

I would still stick with the powerbuilding program and give that a run. Then you could always do a cycle of the oly program.

Here is another good read.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/art...htlifting.html

Nobody on this site will ever make fun of you for wanting to lift. This place has lifters pursuing barbell sports from many different aspects. The common brotherhood we all share is to, SMASH FRIGGING WEIHTS!! SFW!
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
davidl351
davidl351
has no status.

Thank you very much! Those programs are definitely going into my program list. And yes, I get the vibe that the people here different from other forums.

I'm aware of deepsquatter.com but never perused the whole articles archive. Though I do love the stuff from Tate. That's what actually got me into powerlifting. Although I don't plan on competing in the future because of time constraints, I do love moving weights, even if it isn't much. And since I'm going to be a personal trainer soon, I should at least be able to demonstrate the movements with some sort of proficiency.

Gymnastics training is also incredible to watch. I can only do the very basic stuff, ring pull ups, dips and push ups, but these little implements make a world of difference.

Again, I wanna' thank everyone who gave me advice. I'll be making a log soon with the powerbuilding routine.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
I'll be making a log soon.
Glad to have you on board.

This forum is like a gym. Guys come and go, with many different methods and goals, but we are here to push each other.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
davidl351
davidl351
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Glad to have you on board.

This forum is like a gym. Guys come and go, with many different methods and goals, but we are here to push each other.
I hope I can help people in the future like I've just been helped.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm sure you will. The most motivating thing in the iron realm for me is a guy working hard to reach his goals.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
ruelisla
ruelisla
has no status.
How to be big and strong
New Brawn
Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15 years
ruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good posts

Quote:
First off, greetings everyone. This is my first post and I'm going to try to make it strong and non-idiotic.

For the past few days, I've been researching Doug Hepburn and old time strongmen. I firmly believe in strength training and want to try some of their routines. While researching, I came across "Powerbuilding: The Muscle and Brawn Way".

I'm curious if anyone has done this routine before? Are there any strength requisites? I'm a pretty small guy, but my focus is to get stronger. Even though I'm not too keen on bodybuilding type splits, I like the rep scheme and the layout of this routine -- it eliminates most of the guesswork. The reason I'm interested in this is because of my training experience, middle-ground intermediate.

My most recent training program was the basic Westside Barbell training template with some modifications for my weak links. However, I discovered that this type of training is way too advanced for me. Before that, I did 5/3/1. I believe this type of training will be a breath of fresh air before I move onto another cycle of 5/3/1.

Any feedback will be appreciated. I look forward to my stay here!
Powerbuilding is a combination of powerlifting and bodybuilding. Why powerbuilding? because this is what all guys who love strentgh training/ powerlifting but also want a muscle definition.

For me I do powerlifting

My workout consist of Squat, bench press and deads. but this workout I split in to 3 day workout. and each workout I include some assistance training for muscle definition.

Check the free report by clicking here ===>http://tinyurl.com/mavyeh9

Free Muscle Building Video Reveals “Hardgainers Nutrition & Training Guide To Get Big & Lean In Less Time”

Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv
ruelisla is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook