Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Default Good Mornings

One of my favorite exercises is the BB Good Morning. Both the bent knee and straight leg version will work the hamstrings. Below is a video showing a bent legged good morning.

Done with poor form you can injure yourself very quickly. Here is a good way to start. Get yourself a broom stick. Hold it behind your back with the top of the stick touching the back of your head and the bottom touching your tail bone. Feet should be a about shoulder width or a little wider, find a comfortable stance. With the stick behind you, touching back of head and tail bone, push hips back, forcing you to bend forward. Take it slow as you are learning and make sure that the stick remains in contact with the back of your head and tail bone the entire bend. Once you get the movement down, move to an oly bar.

There is some difference on the opinion of bar position preference. I prefer a low bar position, as IMHO this does not put as much stress on the lower back. Work with just the bar and then begin to increase weight slowly. Don't be in a hurry to increase weight, take your time, you will be rewarded for your patience.

I apologize for video quality, There are few good videos of the good morning on youtube.
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I personally am not a big fan of the bodybuilding style good morning - meaning legs almost straight. I prefer my goods mornings to be almost half squats.

There is a decent video on the MAB Good Morning exercise page:

Good Mornings Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

If anyone wants to add tips and opinions to the MAB Good Mornings page to help random visitors and beginners comments are open. (/End thread derail)

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-06-2010 at 08:22 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
bamazav
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I personally am not a big fan of the bodybuilding style good morning - meaning legs almost straight. I prefer my goods mornings to be almost half squats.

There is a decent video on the MAB Good Morning exercise page:

Good Mornings Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

If anyone wants to add tips and opinions to the MAB Good Mornings page to help random visitors and beginners comments are open. (/End thread derail)
I use the straight leg on occasion, just to hit the hamstrings a little differently. I generally do a version that is bent legged. Though, because of my fear of lower back re-injury, I do not go real heavy and I am careful how deep I get. My main point in the post is that they are a great exercise and should be learned and included in our repertoire.

( your video looks pretty close to how I do them, though I probably do not bend as deeply.)

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I hope I don't give the wrong impression, meaning that I don't want anyone to read into my comment as meaning the bodybuilding-style good morning is useless. I personally just don't like the feel, and if given the chance, would probably do hyperextensions first.

Mileage may vary.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
MikeC
MikeC
is hungry again
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Won: 1

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

Would a powerlifting good morning be better for lower back muscle stimulation because of the extra weight?
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
butterZ83
butterZ83
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 1,086, Level: 17 Points: 1,086, Level: 17 Points: 1,086, Level: 17

Training Exp: 6 Months
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Flys
butterZ83 is off to a bad start

Why would you even need to train your lower back?
butterZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterZ83 View Post

WHY?

For the same reason that you need a strong abdominal wall. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Most people think of core training as only being about Abs. When in fact your core involves both your abs and your lower back.

When you start squatting some serious weight you will really start to feel your lower back in the equation. Lower back training is one of the most important areas to train, if you want to remain healthy. Not just for lifting but for everyday life in general.

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
bamazav
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Good Mornings are just one weapon in my lower back aresenal. I built a reverse hyperextension table and use it to work the lower back. Squats and deads also help build up the back part of the core also. As GL has said, the lower back is part of the core and needs to be worked as much as the abs. The lower back affects your posture, sitting and standing. Try doing any kind of overhead press with a sore lower back, it ain't fun.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
MMA Max
MMA Max
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

My Mood: Aggressive
MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterZ83 View Post
Holy cow man!! How long you been in this?? not very long I imagine...The lower back is the key to success for bodybuilding,Power lifting and Fighting.

I am going to answer this from a fighting point of view. A weak lower back will get you in some serious trouble..You can pick people up for shit with a weak lower back and if you have one and try you will probably throw it out. Not to mention the amount of back str you have to have to fight on the ground or in a position..I also try to train west side and I can tell you this...Try to dead lift, Squat or anything heavy with a shit lower back you are gonna be in some trouble.

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
gaspers04
gaspers04
is "Thickneck McBenchpress"
Max Brawn
Points: 17,216, Level: 83 Points: 17,216, Level: 83 Points: 17,216, Level: 83
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Brooding
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Love me some good arched back good mornings!

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook