Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #201
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have now been running the fullbody challenge for 64 days. I didn't realize it had been that long.
Thats 9 weeks, and you have set several pr's in that time.

THATS damn good work Steve!!
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #202
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,148, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,148, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,148, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks GL. I had to look back and see when I started because I was losing track of time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 AM   #203
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I think everyone in this thread has made a fantastic start, im a couple of weeks or so behind, but im getting there. Steve 64 days already... time flies huh Your doing brilliant mate, real inspiring stuff from you, GL and the others. I dont know what i would have done without you and GL these last few weeks. I may have quit altogether, so thanks to you, GL the site and this thread which gave me the idea of a full body in the first place

Up the fullbody revolution

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #204
bigtim27
bigtim27
You are pissing excellence, and crapping a bad ass! And, you wipe it with pure attitude!
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
My Mood: Devilish
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

You ain't ever quitting Carl. This full body routine has me feeling refreshed and new as well though. I've never been so eager to get in the gym. Greatest thing I have ever started. I can't believe it took me this long.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #205
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
I think everyone in this thread has made a fantastic start, im a couple of weeks or so behind, but im getting there. Steve 64 days already... time flies huh Your doing brilliant mate, real inspiring stuff from you, GL and the others. I dont know what i would have done without you and GL these last few weeks. I may have quit altogether, so thanks to you, GL the site and this thread which gave me the idea of a full body in the first place

Carl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim27 View Post
You ain't ever quitting Carl. This full body routine has me feeling refreshed and new as well though. I've never been so eager to get in the gym. Greatest thing I have ever started. I can't believe it took me this long.
It is great having you two join in and take this journey with us. This type of training is so often misunderstood, and not given the right approach, for it to work.

I have learned a lot in the last year about it myself. A lot of what I learned came from reading everything Dr. Casey Butt has written. His articles here on MAB, and his website have been an invaluable resource to me, in the science of this work. Other aspects, such as the actual challenge routines are my creation more or less. The challenge routines are derived in large part from the people who inspired them, but with some of my own ideas as well.

Those ideas are mainly format based. Keeping all of them to a three day a week program is one. Some of the actual, and number of moves, as well as sequence are my ideas. I am also a big fan of the A/B split program. I used an A/B split last year, and made great progress on it.

There was also the John Christy thread that Steve posted. That one thread has so much valuable training info it is ridiculous. I wish that one thread was required reading.

SFW!

Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #206
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,148, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,148, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,148, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

Carl.
Thanks Carl. As I said, it goes both ways. Everyone here keeps me motivated.

I was reading a book by Dan John last night, and he was talking about movements, not muscles. I also was flipping through Paul Anderson's biography.

It is refreshing for me to see men unplug from all the perceived complexity, and to merely rely on the most effective lifts and approaches.

On the other hand, I flipped open the latest issue of Muscle & Fiction this morning while on the pot (get it because of my daughter's school magazine drive), and they has a beginner's leg workout with 20 sets, and it included a 50 rep squat set and a 20 rep squat set.

One of the major issues with splits is that they command multiple movements, so therefore, to be creative people must plug in all sorts of variations. Variations stray from the basics, so I ask you...is this the best way to train? Then, of course, you get Joe Gymrat who doesn't like "Lift X", and splits turn into a total farce; a complete buffet.

Splits can work, but they need to utilize the same basics as a fullbody approach. They also need to stay simple and not overuse lifts just for the sake of creativity and volume.

/Anywho...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #207
Carl1174
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I loved this quote in the John Christy thread about using the correct exercises and not wasting time doing all different sorts of isolation moves...
Quote:
(A trainee) keeps hitting his pecs with two or three exercises, two to three sets per exercise, every workout. As far as exercises go, dump the flyes as your pec exercise, and learn to bench press properly. I can hear you now, “but I don’t feel the bench in my pecs and flyes make them real sore”. Yea, but I’m confident that the 25-pound dumbbells that you are waving around aren’t making your pecs big and they’re probably why your shoulder hurts. Once again, learn to bench press properly. Dump the laterals raises, and concentrate on shoulder presses. Quit “pre-exhausting” your quads with leg extensions and then performing leg pressing with “little-girl” weights – just because they give you a great “burn” and squatting hurts your back. Let me assure you that the only thing that is going to give you big legs is utilizing big weights (which have NOTHING to do with the “burn”). And if you don’t have a diagnosed back condition, then your back hurts because it’s weak, your abs are weak, and your obliques are weak. So, learn how to squat properly and also strengthen your back, abs and obliques (get your hamstrings flexible too). I think you get the point.
kinda sums up for me whay the fullbody is so successful

Carl.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #208
bigtim27
bigtim27
You are pissing excellence, and crapping a bad ass! And, you wipe it with pure attitude!
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
My Mood: Devilish
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I loved this quote in the John Christy thread about using the correct exercises and not wasting time doing all different sorts of isolation moves...

kinda sums up for me whay the fullbody is so successful

Carl.
Thats an awesome quote Carl. I have to read the John Christy thread.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #209
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

I was reading a book by Dan John last night, and he was talking about movements, not muscles. I also was flipping through Paul Anderson's biography.

Which book Steve?

It is refreshing for me to see men unplug from all the perceived complexity, and to merely rely on the most effective lifts and approaches.

I keep going back to the Bulgarians, and how they approach lifting. Minimal number of total moves, but intensity and progression are pushed.

They do:

Clean and jerk
Snatches
Front squats
some back squats

Insert Ivan Stoitsov pic here.

On the other hand, I flipped open the latest issue of Muscle & Fiction this morning while on the pot (get it because of my daughter's school magazine drive), and they has a beginner's leg workout with 20 sets, and it included a 50 rep squat set and a 20 rep squat set.

Insert facepalm pic here.

One of the major issues with splits is that they command multiple movements, so therefore, to be create people must plug in all sorts of variations. Then, of course, you get Joe Gymrat who doesn't like "Lift X", and splits turn into a total farce; a complete buffet.

I won't even get started here. There is a whole article that could be written on Joe Gymrat, and his idea of programs.

More facepalm pic will suffice

Quote:
Splits can work, but they need to utilize the same basics as a fullbody approach. They also need to stay simple and not overuse lifts just for the sake of creativity and volume./Anywho...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #210
Carl1174
Carl1174
Max Brawn

hahahaha greatposts... i have just read the Bulgarian Weightlifting link you sent me GL... great stuff in there

carl.

Share with Facebook