Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #191
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Full body sub-forum = WIN.

Splits are commonplace, but full body routines are not - and everything related to producing a good one should be housed in the one place.

One day I will use one.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #192
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 25,013, Level: 95 Points: 25,013, Level: 95 Points: 25,013, Level: 95
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Carl this is a very good writeup. I might want to pull that down and sticky it..

In fact, I am thinking about starting a Full Body sub-forum as well. Thoughts on this?
YES FTW!

Seeking to be transformed, not conformed!

Become a disciple of the bar. - glwanabe

The Official Get Fit For The King Website

Yasen Miroslav Zavadil
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #193
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

OK so week two has just come to an end on the Reeves Classic, so i though I would drop my thoughts in again....

I feel like the second week I have settled into the routine a little more. Im still not fully there though, there is still some bedding in to do so that i can really concentrate on 'working' the routine. I have discovered a bit though

I still had a secret concern of the program, mainly centered about how long it will take me to progress on the weight. Now I am not an advanced lifter by any stretch of the imagination, but Im not a new started either, so I have a good handle on my strengths and weaknesses. I have been jumping up the reps by a couple of reps per set, now I have 'bedded' in a bit to the program I realise this isnt going to be a constant and that just upping one rep on one set per session is gonne be work.

My concern was that the weights wouldnt up quick enough to really push the muscles and make them grow. If you look at the program though if you just up one rep on one exercise then in a couple of weeks you will up the weight on one (if not two) of your sets per body part. Again this doesnt seem like much, but this is a full body workout remember, so every exercise has a knock on effect on the others, they are all interlinked.

If you up the reps on presses for instance and then the reps on bench and dips, you have actually upped 3 reps on the same body part in one session (or the equivalent of 9 reps per week if you can keep it up) Idont know of a split program that has such aggressive rep progression as 9 reps per weer per body part.

You will progress on this routine. FACT.

One other concern was that I wouldnt be training enough ! Coming from a split background (3 day, then 4 day, then 5 day) I have usually tried to add more volume, frequency whatever to help restart growth cos thats the natural though pattern. the harder you work the more you get out of it. WRONG the smarter you work the more you get out of it. This program works you more than hard enough, but also works you SMART

Its definitely enough work. FACT

Im not a 17 year old kid with limitless recovery and testosterone so dropping to 3 days per week has given me more time to grow and recover, meaning i can hit it harder in the gym and get better results... Does this mean only us olfder guys can use it effectively, of course not. If i am making gains from it as a 36 year old immagine what all that free flowing teenage testosterone would do for my gain

At the end of week 2 and I am more convinced than ever that this is a routine that will work for ANYONE who lifts, whether they have done splits primarily, other types of full body, whether they are new lifters or have been lifting a while. The idea that the muscles need to be shocked, or confused or whatever you want to call it is dismissed by this routine. You are doing the same movements 3 time a week, is it repetitive for the muscles, YES are they gtting shocked or confused NO. they know what they are doing, they have adapted to it (and mor importantly the CNS, joints, tendons have all adapted too) so the muscle can get on with the job we all want them to do and GROW to try on cope with the agressive progression that this program delivers. Plus next week I get to add more stuff to it and that changes the dynamic again, there is no way you can get bored on this program and that too is a FACT

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #194
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 25,013, Level: 95 Points: 25,013, Level: 95 Points: 25,013, Level: 95
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Great post Carl!

Seeking to be transformed, not conformed!

Become a disciple of the bar. - glwanabe

The Official Get Fit For The King Website

Yasen Miroslav Zavadil
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #195
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100 Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100 Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Great writeup Carl.

Quote:
My concern was that the weights wouldnt up quick enough to really push the muscles and make them grow.
One of the issues for most is using heavy, heavy weight too soon on a fullbody workout. As I have mentioned previously, it took me about 6 weeks to adapt. But once I did, and got on a structured rep approach, it didn't take long for to to start setting personal PRs.

That slow climb up hill will be your best friend. It will never let you down.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #196
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Great post Carl!
cheers Bam
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Great writeup Carl.

One of the issues for most is using heavy, heavy weight too soon on a fullbody workout. As I have mentioned previously, it took me about 6 weeks to adapt. But once I did, and got on a structured rep approach, it didn't take long for to to start setting personal PRs.

That slow climb up hill will be your best friend. It will never let you down.
Yeh I am actually relishing the slow build up now that i know it is essential... I am really looking forward to the time I am adjusted and can start posting some PB's again

PB's on a fullbody>PB's on a split IMO

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #197
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,536, Level: 78 Points: 14,536, Level: 78 Points: 14,536, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

February 1st. One month in and we have some serious work happening by several members.

Most people are fairly well settled into their programs and have gone up in weight on several of the big lifts. We have 2 newer members who are just a week or two later into the challenge, and are doing very well.

Here's to seeing some serious training this month, and everybody getting some weight added to the bar.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #198
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100 Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100 Points: 1,353,449, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I just wanted to say thanks to all who joined in this journey. You keep motivated.

Now if you all would only grow a beard, this world would be perfect...

Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #199
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn
Points: 10,938, Level: 69 Points: 10,938, Level: 69 Points: 10,938, Level: 69
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
My Mood: Aggressive
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
February 1st. One month in and we have some serious work happening by several members.

Most people are fairly well settled into their programs and have gone up in weight on several of the big lifts. We have 2 newer members who are just a week or two later into the challenge, and are doing very well.

Here's to seeing some serious training this month, and everybody getting some weight added to the bar.
And this month I DID NOT, miss any workouts, im really settlin in and liking the program ready to see what 5x5 ohp holds for me
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #200
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I have now been running the fullbody challenge for 64 days. I didn't realize it had been that long.

Share with Facebook