Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
thumpinos
thumpinos
is flogging his Molly.
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Flirty
thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts
Default Muscle building for women

I heard that women should use slightly higher reps when trying to build muscle. Any truth to this?

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

NO!

That is complete bovine fecal matter.

The rules for women are no different than for men. IMO. There are differences between the sexes but if your trying to build strength then train for strength.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
My Mood: Aggressive
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
NO!

That is complete bovine fecal matter.

The rules for women are no different than for men. IMO. There are differences between the sexes but if your trying to build strength then train for strength.
AGREE^ for strength that is
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
AGREE^ for strength that is
Go on.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Go on.
this leads to my question? for endurance or the women who love cardio its more reps maybe 10-15? am i correct gl? but this thread is called muscle building for women so your answer is definetly correct, im just here to learn
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
this leads to my question?

The women who love cardio its more reps maybe 10-15? am i correctl?

but this thread is called muscle building for women.
Number 1, we are all here to learn. We all share in the fact that we want to get strong and or big. While the two are not mutually exclusive, there are ways to maximize one aspect over the other by the approach choosen.

There are some very good threads already in place that talk about some of these philosophies. The debate often gets very heated, about certain aspects, especially regarding certain older training methods.

As I said, IMO Women should train no differently then men. The cardio bunnies would be doing themselves a huge favor if they would lift some weight, and put some muscle on their frame. More muscle increases BMR, hence they will need to spend less time spinning their wheels in the mud.

They all argue that they will get too big. BS! They will burn the fat and look better, while being no bigger, and probably smaller in all reality.

Far too many people do things without having any real knowledge of WHY they are doing that thing. They do it because such, and such said do this. This is a horrible self replicating idea that has done a lot of people absolutely no good. They have wasted so much time in achieving their goals, and frankly worked far harder for fewer results.

Go back in time and look at how weightraining has evolved over the last 50-60years. There is a rea eye opening lesson to be learned about marketing, and mass media.

Weight training has been marketed to be this thing that you absolutely must follow all the latest and greatest ideas to gain th maximum muscle. It's all bullshit! You don't need fancy, you don't need 50 different machines, you don't need tons of supps, and you don't need to change your routine all the time. In fact the less you change it the better!

The best change you can make to your routine is to ADD WEIGHT TO THE BAR! Thats a change you can believe in.

You can build a lot of body with between 5-8 compound moves done 3-4 times a week. You can do this for years, and progress.

I'm starting to rant so I'll stop.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn

Quote:
Number 1, we are all here to learn. We all share in the fact that we want to get strong and or big. While the two are not mutually exclusive, there are ways to maximize one aspect over the other by the approach choosen.

There are some very good threads already in place that talk about some of these philosophies. The debate often gets very heated, about certain aspects, especially regarding certain older training methods.

As I said, IMO Women should train no differently then men. The cardio bunnies would be doing themselves a huge favor if they would lift some weight, and put some muscle on their frame. More muscle increases BMR, hence they will need to spend less time spinning their wheels in the mud.

They all argue that they will get too big. BS! They will burn the fat and look better, while being no bigger, and probably smaller in all reality.

Far too many people do things without having any real knowledge of WHY they are doing that thing. They do it because such, and such said do this. This is a horrible self replicating idea that has done a lot of people absolutely no good. They have wasted so much time in achieving their goals, and frankly worked far harder for fewer results.

Go back in time and look at how weightraining has evolved over the last 50-60years. There is a rea eye opening lesson to be learned about marketing, and mass media.

Weight training has been marketed to be this thing that you absolutely must follow all the latest and greatest ideas to gain th maximum muscle. It's all bullshit! You don't need fancy, you don't need 50 different machines, you don't need tons of supps, and you don't need to change your routine all the time. In fact the less you change it the better!

The best change you can make to your routine is to ADD WEIGHT TO THE BAR! Thats a change you can believe in.

You can build a lot of body with between 5-8 compound moves done 3-4 times a week. You can do this for years, and progress.

I'm starting to rant so I'll stop.
Awesome reply and one of the things u said really hit home!!!! All women say is i cant lift to heavy or ill be like some guy with the veins popping out, my gf was telling me the other day she really like the workouts i had her doing but she didnt wanna get veins everywhere and huge and i explained to her that women were basically discriminated against when made because they just cannot promote the growth men can unless they go stupid and steroid up

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
All women say, I cant lift too heavy or I'll be like some guy with the veins popping out. My gf was telling me the other day she really likes the workouts I have her doing but she didn't want get veins everywhere and huge. I explained that women were basically discriminated against when made because they just cannot promote the growth men can unless they go stupid and steroid up

I going off of memory here, but Women have about 85% of the lower body mass that men have. They fall far shorter when it comes to upper body mass.

They can build some serious legs with some applied effort. However, as even some men say, I don't wan't to get to big. I find that to be about the most stupid fracken statement, EVER!

You have to work your ass off to put on really big size. What do these people think is going to happen? That they are going to walk by a gym and instantly grow? That they will do one wimpy leg workout, and wake up the next day with Platz syndrome. SERIOUSLY!! People, pull your head outta your butt. They don't know squat, about squatting, but will say some of the most asinine stuff ever.

As far as getting all vascular. Show them the contest prep of somebody getting ready for a show. They will learn that getting vascular takes a lot of work. Oh, and hey, guess what, if you eat a little bit of food, it goes away.

Here I go starting to rant again.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

You can look good without getting into contest shape. You can be healthy and strong and carry healthy amounts of bodyfat.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Women have fits getting real big. They couldn't get real big if they wanted to. Check out a natural show sometime Coop. The female natural bodybuilders are petite women.

And to get vascular, well that won't happen. I profile female transformations every week, and I've never seen a woman that was all veiny.

You need to get her on the clue train. These are myths, and bad ones. Weight training will give her a dream body, but only if she trains hard and heavy.

To a person, each woman I talk to about training says the biggest mistake they made was not training hard enough on weights and focusing on cardio.

There is no real point in lifting weights if there is no progression. The body will adapt to 3 sets of 15 reps within weeks, and then it's game over.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook