Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
My Mood: Aggressive
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default routine for a beginner no weight training

I tried to get this as simple as possible not much assistance its for a good friend of mine, he has never lifted before, Im gonna advise him each week to try and add 2.5 to 5lbs. on bench press and 5 to 10 lbs. on squat and deadlift, and im going to show him the form before i even let him start this....How's this look?

MONDAY

Deadlift-3x5
DB Rows-3x10

WEDNESDAY

Bench Press-3x5
Dumbbell Bench Press-3x8

FRIDAY

Squat-3x5
Leg Press-3x10
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,335, Level: 100 Points: 33,335, Level: 100 Points: 33,335, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Se that his form is acceptable on the major lifts and put him on a 20 rep squat routine, 3 days a week to begin with, instead. That would make wonders with his physique. Just my tip of the day.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

That looks like a good start. I would take at least several weeks where the focus isn't adding weight. He needs to get the feel for the lifts.

One thing to consider...if he isn't catching on quickly it will be important to get him on a simple fullbody approach. Practicing each lift 3 times a week helps.

By the way, what are his goals?

If he does go fullbody, try something like (with very moderate weight):

3x a week:

Squat 3 x 10
Bench 3 x 10
Deadlift 3 x 10
Seated overhead press or military press 3 x 10
Barbell Row 3 x 10
Dips 2 x 10
Barbell Curls 2 x 10
Situps 2 x 10

Take no longer than 60 seconds between sets. It seems like a lot of work but without the heavy weight it will help his conditioning and get him in a groove.

If you can tell he is catching on to form quickly, then it's time for a basic fullbody routine. Beginners should train fullbody because they need to practice the lifts, and they also don't pay the prices that come with heavy weight.

Lastly, it would also help to see your deadlift and squat form so we can help you help him.

Hope that helps.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

dam good suggestion swede good lookin out, what would a quick 20 rep squat routine look like if u created mine would be having squats all 3 days but the 20 rep set on the last dau
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That looks like a good start. I would take at least several weeks where the focus isn't adding weight. He needs to get the feel for the lifts.

One thing to consider...if he isn't catching on quickly it will be important to get him on a simple fullbody approach. Practicing each lift 3 times a week helps.

By the way, what are his goals?

If he does go fullbody, try something like (with very moderate weight):

3x a week:

Squat 3 x 10
Bench 3 x 10
Deadlift 3 x 10
Seated overhead press or military press 3 x 10
Barbell Row 3 x 10
Dips 2 x 10
Barbell Curls 2 x 10
Situps 2 x 10

Take no longer than 60 seconds between sets. It seems like a lot of work but without the heavy weight it will help his conditioning and get him in a groove.

If you can tell he is catching on to form quickly, then it's time for a basic fullbody routine. Beginners should train fullbody because they need to practice the lifts, and they also don't pay the prices that come with heavy weight.

Lastly, it would also help to see your deadlift and squat form so we can help you help him.

Hope that helps.
Actually this is a big help thanks bro, and that template looks to make some sure gains if he catches on quickly i will put him on that for sure unless you think i should just start him on that ahead of time, and im going to the gym tomorrow just for you btb to get some form vids so you can help me and him at the same time

Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I agree with Swede. I would get him on a 20 rep program, but I would wait until he passes muster and sticks with something basic for 2-4 weeks.

After the break in period I wouldn't have him using the above template. That is simply a noob conditioning template, and a lift practicing template.

Once he sticks with several weeks of practice we'll help you get a killer 20 rep squat program.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,335, Level: 100 Points: 33,335, Level: 100 Points: 33,335, Level: 100

big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Example beginner 20 rep squat routine would look something like this
3x week:

20 rep squat (add 5-10 lbs every time you complete 20 reps with a given weight)
1x20 very light db pullovers (for stretch)
3x10 benchpress
2x10 oh press
2x8 deadlifts
3x10 bb rows

Or se btb's post above.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn

Yeah, i always wondered how a raw beginner would response to a 20 rep program in matter of weight and strength gains. (I personally fear the 20 rep squat more than anything else haha)

Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Example beginner 20 rep squat routine would look something like this
3x week:

20 rep squat (add 5-10 lbs every time you complete 20 reps with a given weight)
1x20 very light db pullovers (for stretch)
3x10 benchpress
2x10 oh press
2x8 deadlifts
3x10 bb rows

Or se btb's post above.
My program really isn't a beginner's program. It's a 2-4 week, let's see if he comes to the gym to practice the lifts program.

If he comes and doesn't miss a workout, and gets the form down pat, then we can start killing him.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn

Okay thanks alot guys im gonna give him the above routine that i wrote and after 4 weeks like you guys said, we will all create him a killer 20 rep squat program and swede your template looks pretty good to me, we will hook him up after he can stick this for 4 weeks, thanks alot guys if he wasnt workin all the time i would reccomend him to this site

Share with Facebook