Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default How To Ditch Intermittent Fasting

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-los...-behavioral-bs

Quote:
An intermittent fast becomes a dance of benefits verses drawbacks, and the benefits while they look remarkable on paper usually don't outweigh the drawbacks.
Quote:
Intermittent fasting proponents say that during workouts the body will be forced to pull energy from stored fat in the absence of blood glucose that normally would be present after a meal. So when it comes to training in a fasted state, the goal is to deplete glucose then work out before replenishing it.

They say doing so can even create an anabolic effect and actually make someone build muscle during an intermittent fasting regimen. (When not eating for most of the day is touted as a muscle-gaining plan, you know the fitness industry is running out of book ideas.)

But does using your own stored fat as workout nutrition really fuel the toughest workouts? Are you able to work as hard when you're only running on the fumes of last night's binge? Do you think strong bodies are built on ketones? Do you really think that quality of training is improved by a lack of nutrition? Are you training hard enough to know the difference?

If you train fasted in the morning, then wait several hours to consume anything, the likelihood of building and repairing muscle tissue is slim. This is a recipe for weak workouts and catabolism. Topped off with an evening binge, it's a recipe for fat gain. Let's not forget the most common eating pattern of overweight people: skip breakfast and lunch, binge at night. If your diet mirrors that of the typical slob, maybe it's time to rethink your plan.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,739, Level: 71 Points: 11,739, Level: 71 Points: 11,739, Level: 71
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I just read this, actually. I agree with a lot of what it said. In the end it's a case of an extreme diet that works for some and not for others, and it's extreme nature dictates that if it doesn't work for someone, it REALLY doesn't work.

IF got me to my leanest state, and it worked very well for the schedule I had at that time. I worked all morning and early afternoon and didn't get a lunch break. I also trained after work right before my eating period. It was the perfect diet for my situation. But those things aren't true anymore. I train at different periods of the day and sometimes I don't know when that will be, even the morning of.

If people are doing something and it isn't working, they should change it. Whether that means small changes or a drastic change to a new method, there's no reason to stick with something that is obviously not working for you.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 4,850, Level: 44 Points: 4,850, Level: 44 Points: 4,850, Level: 44
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

This is definitely an article that will make a lot of people mad. I see both sides.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,739, Level: 71 Points: 11,739, Level: 71 Points: 11,739, Level: 71
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
This is definitely an article that will make a lot of people mad. I see both sides.
I can see that happening. There is some misinformation in there. The LeanGains protocol says that fasted training is a big no-no, and I agree. There are a few different programs that use IF and each is a little different, so it can be dangerous to throw them into the pot together.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
jrodt12
jrodt12
Slow and steady
Brawn
Points: 510, Level: 10 Points: 510, Level: 10 Points: 510, Level: 10
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Bicep curls... Obviously
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
jrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good posts

IF has been a god send for me, and in particular carb backloading. I stay lean, and have lots of energy throughout the day, and sleep like a baby at night. My workouts have never suffered, although I do eat at least one meal prior so I'm not completely fasted when training.

With that being said, to me it's fairly obvious that of course not everything will work for every person. It seems to me that anyone who tends to choose this style of eating simply so they can eat 'whatever' they already have a predisposition to binge eating to begin with, and in that case then IF likely isn't the best choice.

At the end of the day everyone is still responsible for the choices they make, six meals a day or two, you still have to make good decisions on what you put in your body.
jrodt12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
MadScientistOfMaB
MadScientistOfMaB
is experimenting with old strongman lifts.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Smolov
Fav Exercise: Squat, C&J
Fav Supp: Mr. Hyde & heavy cream
My Mood: Inspired
MadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributor

I have loved the ideas on t-nation sometimes but one thing I have always noticed is they don't cite research. They just try something and say it works for them or point to competitors and say this is what they did.

IF is not made for heavyweight stongmen or bodybuilders who are trying to maximize gains but it is a way to lean out while maintaining strength. Sometimes it looks like people say "Well it doesn't work for what I'm doing so it doesn't work"
Experimentation is the word of the day here, and you're going to be like a mad scientist, tinkering with your diet until you've turned yourself into a massive, world-destroying robot bent on nothing short of the subjugation and destruction of the entire human race.
-Jamie Lewis (Chaos&Pain)

Nothing exceeds like excess.

HT: 5'10" WT: 237
Deadlift 455 Squat 425
Bench 375 OHP (strict) 205
MadScientistOfMaB is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook