Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Marc
Marc
TV.
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: A Hole
Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor
Default Help with my BCAA's

How much is too much? I have been using the pills from Optimum nutrition and taking 4 a day right before my workout. I hear about some people taking like 20 a day or taking monster amino 3 times a day etc. I also have another GNC brand that says take 6 pills daily, and its 1800 (whatever the measurement is) of BCAA's. I want to make sure I am getting enough, what are my limmits here? Currently taking 3 scoops of Cell Mass daily as well as about 100 grams in protein powder. Can I up the cell mass or am I ok with twice a day scoop and a half each time? Just curious, I know the serving sizes but what can I get away with and have it still be beneficial of course? I am 6'5" 265 pounds for the record.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
cooltom
cooltom
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Pensive
cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

I buy the powder from trueprotein, with extra leucine (4:1:1 ratio). I take 20 grams during my workouts. I can tell the difference when I run out: start getting DOMS.

When I have enough powder I also have 5-10g before 2-3 meals a day. It ensures my protein intake is high. I also feel "harder" or "leaner" when I do this for a couple of weeks.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
CallmeKing
CallmeKing
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Drunk
CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

There's so many diffirent dosages I've seen from professions I take 8caps of the optimum nutrition caps Pre workout.

4g Leucine 2g Isoleucine 2g Valine. Compared to Xtend which has 3.5 leucine 1.75 Isoleucine and 1.75g valine. Xtend also has 2.5g gluatamine and 1g of Vitamin b6 and Crituline Matalte.

I honestly can't tell the difference between the two though. They both worked equally for me.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I take Xtend and a few Optimum Nutrition BCAAs caps from time to time in the morning.

I know some guys take 2 to 3 times what I take. Honestly I wish I had the cash to try this amount and see if it impacts recovery any more than it does now.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
My Mood: Cool
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

I take xtend (during workout) and leucine (before bed) and I haven't been sore in months

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
I take xtend (during workout) and leucine (before bed) and I haven't been sore in months
And you wouldn't believe how many people think this is a placebo. Man, the debates that I see rage over Xtend and BCAAs/glutamine.

I sure as heck don't think it's a placebo.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
My Mood: Cool
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

I would give up every other supplement before I gave up Xtend

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I'm the same. Whey and Xtend are my essentials.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Marc
Marc
TV.
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30

My Mood: A Hole
Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

I assume this xtend is a powder form? I guess that's the other half of the issue, which form is better overall?

Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I assume this xtend is a powder form? I guess that's the other half of the issue, which form is better overall?
Xtend is powder, but flavored. Most flavors taste good. Xtend also has other ingredients other than BCAAs, which in my opinion makes it even more of a value.

Share with Facebook